Quantcast
sunglasses? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: sunglasses?

Default sunglasses?

Just wondering what other near-sighted beyonders do for sunglasses? I don't have contacts at the moment, so an off the shelf solution is not possible.

Do you most of you go with a prescription pair? I've seen people wear sunglasses over their regular glasses and transitions lenses, but I can't say i'm a big fan of that.

I have piss poor vision so recommendations for nicer styles for thicker lenses are also appreciated!

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

Prescription sunglasses.

Obviously they cost a bit (sometime alot more, depending on the lens type) more, but definitely worth it IMO.

Don't have to sacrifice style either, mine are a pair of Rayban Wayfarers, got them from Pearle Vision.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Transitions. Sucks in the car though. They do have ones that darken in cars too...

My Ride
    Exploded.

I'm near sighted and I just use contacts or eyeglasses. I find prescription sunglasses too finicky because you have to bring eyeglasses when entering inside and Transitions suck because it turns your lenses yellow. I didn't like em.

Originally posted by diamondedge
    Transitions. Sucks in the car though. They do have ones that darken in cars too...
    I think that is my biggest gripe with the transitions. Mostly i'll be using them for driving, so it sucks that i would have to basically put my glasses out the window before they change.

Sounds like my best bet for now is the prescriptions. Wish I could go with the contacts route, but I'm not sure if they make them in my prescription yet! They didn't last time I did a fitting

Last edited by Cos; 01-02-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    jdm b18c

Originally posted by believe

I think that is my biggest gripe with the transitions. Mostly i'll be using them for driving, so it sucks that i would have to basically put my glasses out the window before they change.

Sounds like my best bet for now is the prescriptions. Wish I could go with the contacts route, but I'm not sure if they make them in my prescription yet! They didn't last time I did a fitting
    how about is your eye sight?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I would go with something like a ray ban wayfair personally as a prescription sunglass, it has a bigger frame which hides thicker prescription lenses has a classic and trendy look that is suitable in most situations etc. then you dont look like a douchebag wearing your oakley gascan or oil rig sunglasses which are only suitable while driving your lifted ford F350 on 37" tires
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Prescription sunglasses.

Have those same Oakley ones as well and they weren't cheap! If you have work benefits they usually cover some of the cost of prescription sunglasses.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Oakley have quite a limited range for prescription sunglasses.

Maui Jim's prescription range is much wider than Oakley. I personally prefer the optics and colors of MJ's over Oakley's for everyday use. Where Oakley excel is for sport-specific type optics, as they have quite a bit of lens color to pick from depending on the application (eg yellow lens for target shooting in winter)

I have a very weak prescription and I just ordered a pair of Rudy Project sunglasses. Changable lenses, photochromic, and polarized. They also don't go totally clear so they are useful for in the car as well.

Seems like the ideal combo is brown for driving, and then the clear/grey ones for everything else. I'm sure there are lots of other solutions though.

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/sungla...php?group_id=1

Originally posted by top_speed

how about is your eye sight?
    -10 in my left eye and around -8.0 for the right eye. pretty much blind as a bat without my glasses.

pretty cool site! didn't know there was so many color variations for different activities.

Originally posted by boarderfatty

I would go with something like a ray ban wayfair personally as a prescription sunglass, it has a bigger frame which hides thicker prescription lenses has a classic and trendy look that is suitable in most situations etc. then you dont look like a douchebag wearing your oakley gascan or oil rig sunglasses which are only suitable while driving your lifted ford F350 on 37" tires
    I really like the wayfairs myself too. They look great for just casual everyday wear.
    Last edited by believe; 07-13-2012 at 01:00 AM.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Mosley Tribes w/ prescription lenses... around 600 all in I think. Pretty stupid. Next I'll be going for lasik eye correction before I spend any more money on glasses.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

As Jlude says - why not get Lasik? You'll save $600 (apparently) off the proceedure from having to buy prescription sunglasses, and trust me - it is waaaaaay nicer not having to wear glasses or contacts, and being able buy wear multiple pairs of cheap sunglasses.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by Kloubek
    As Jlude says - why not get Lasik? You'll save $600 (apparently) off the proceedure from having to buy prescription sunglasses, and trust me - it is waaaaaay nicer not having to wear glasses or contacts, and being able buy wear multiple pairs of cheap sunglasses.
    Or multiple pairs of expensive ones. Baller!

I just had surgery, and it IS nice to wear sunglasses now. I picked up some Ray Ban Cockpits, and it feels good not having to worry about the sun.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I'm still stuck in the prehistoric notion that Lasik will make your eyeballs fall off when you're old.

I have transitions and I'll never buy them again. My lenses go grey, not yellow, but they're useless. They don't cover my entire eye so if the sun is above or below the lens then I still get blinded. They tint more in overcast weather than in bright sun. They take forever to go back to clear once I'm inside and, as mentioned, they're useless in the car. Not to mention I look like (even more of) a dork when they tint.

I did contacts + gas station sunglasses for a while but contacts were just a pain.

I've resigned myself to laser eye, it's just a matter of dedicating the money to it.