Quantcast
is there a demand? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: is there a demand?

My Ride
    4x4

Default is there a demand?

ok, drunken discussion - that has me curious... so I have to ask...

is there a market for an old school starter home? not what's currently being offered by the big builders - think closer to the post war houses (think about the houses in tuxedo) basic square boxes 1000-1500sq ft bungalos - on decent sized lots, basic finishes (ie formica not granite).

if such a house was available - and under 200k, would a 45 min commute be too far for most people?

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

I would have bought one. I can't stand the way the new houses fill the lots so entirely, and they are so close together. windows facing your neighbor's wall also suck.

do small families maybe without kids or with just one so far really need 2500 sq ft living space?
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

Interesting question and yes, why do people need 2500 sq ft of living space above ground? Our family of five has got along quite nicely for the past 16 years in our under 1400 sq ft mid-50's bungalow and as the kids move out, I'd consider moving down into an under 1000 sq ft home again. Our first home, a 1935 2 bedroom bungalow that was under 700 sq ft - wonderful little place and it worked well until the second kid came along, only other real negative was the fact it was only one block off of 16th Ave NW (too much noise).

Old school start bungalow, people just don't want them - they want their two stories plus basement and attached stuff holder, oops garage.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    4x4

I don't understand - that I will say for sure... When we were house shopping, it mystified us - the "starter homes" seemed anything but...

We (about 8 of us who work in construction) were actually running the numbers backwards, based on what is actually affordable based on the new mortgage rules (180k - 20k down, 5% interest - 25yr amortization -> about 930/month). Working off the lots that we hear are to be released here (and rumoured pricing) found if we kept it simple, basic square box design, simple roof line; it actually worked at ~180k, that doesn't even buy you a Calgary condo... And those are mostly 80x80 lots - meaning you'd probably have 10' from eave to property line...

Of course, we still are in that... If we built it, would they come

The land/lot becomes such a huge issue - but I really like the concept.

Location, location, location.... where were you thinking?

My Ride
    4x4

that's why the "is 45 mins commute too much" comes in - you couldn't get a lot that size in calgary for that price - its the less traditional bedroom communities that make this work...

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

I'm in. but where first? lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

My Ride
    4x4

well, the subdivision in beiseker come out of their estate/receivership mess soon, those are shovel ready - all the utilities are in, fire hydrants, curbs, street signs... irricana's got one that isn't as close (stalled with half the services run) - I've heard of 2 other developments SE of calgary...

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

I've never actually checked, but isn't Beiseker much closer to an hour with no traffic? To be honest, I think it's too far. We live in Redwood which is a 35 minutes commute to DT during non peak traffic hours and while I love the drive (especially the drive home with the mountains as a backdrop) it does seem long at times.

I could be wrong but I'd guess that from Beiseker you'd be closer to 1.5 hours during peak hours and Irricana even longer. With that being said, people around Vancouver/Toronto seem to have no problem with 2 hr+ commutes, so I'm sure for the right money you'd have interest, but it's too far IMO.

My Ride
    74 Nova-92 RMW-08 Aura XR-94 Sierra

Beiseker is 45-50mins to Glenmore/Blackfoot (my GF commutes there) Maybe closer to an hour during peak rush hour.

I found it's about 40mins to Barlow/Memorial if you come in east of Calgary on Hwy 9 during peak rush hour.

Irricana is about 5mins less since it is about 10km south of Beiseker.

My worry about that abandoned develpoment in Beiseker would be the ground level. Easily prone to flooding. I don't think anything in town will flourish anytime soon. The Village has lost population the last few years and current houses are priced cheap and hard to sell.

"at ~180k, that doesn't even buy you a Calgary condo"

Thats the exact reason I bought out here. I hate the idea of a condo and for the price out here for a house with garage(s) you can't go wrong, as long as you don't mind the commute and fresh country air.
    2008 Saturn Aura XR- 3.6L 6spd Modded on 20's
    1994 GMC Sierra Z71 RC/SB 5spd Lifted on 33's
    1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon-"Got Wood?"
    1974 Chevy Nova 406ci Never ending project!
    2013 Hyundai Veloster 'Sublime Detail' Company car
    & Many More...

My Ride
    4x4

I'm 40 mins to sunridge industrial, without really speeding - getting outta dodge - easy as can be, chb, McKnight, 16th, glenmore, 22x eastbound till you hit 9 and hit cruise - clear sailing from there...

Diesel - that areas higher than Chinook / beaver ? How can it be flood prone?

My Ride
    74 Nova-92 RMW-08 Aura XR-94 Sierra

I guess your right, I compared it today.. It does look to be similar or a little higher.

I have seen parts of it under water but I'm sure once fully developed with proper grading that wouldn't be an issue.
    2008 Saturn Aura XR- 3.6L 6spd Modded on 20's
    1994 GMC Sierra Z71 RC/SB 5spd Lifted on 33's
    1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon-"Got Wood?"
    1974 Chevy Nova 406ci Never ending project!
    2013 Hyundai Veloster 'Sublime Detail' Company car
    & Many More...

How exactly do you expect to build a 1000-1500 sq ft bungalow with decent finishes on a 40-50ft lot for under $200k?

This is where the conversation would end.

A 40ft lot will run you about $70-80k and that leaves you about $100 sq ft for construction.

Not going to happen at that price point.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Originally posted by sputnik
    How exactly do you expect to build a 1000-1500 sq ft bungalow with decent finishes on a 40-50ft lot for under $200k?

This is where the conversation would end.

A 40ft lot will run you about $70-80k and that leaves you about $100 sq ft for construction.

Not going to happen at that price point.
    finishes will likely be cheaper than 'decent'. Lots are well under 70 in some of the towns being discussed. there may not be huge margins, or huge demand, but likely could be done.
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

Why wouldn't you just buy someone's house in the inner city who wants to tear it down and put up an infill? Get it for the cost of moving it and whammy. Cheap house. Downside is that it's old.

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by AndyL
    well, the subdivision in beiseker come out of their estate/receivership mess soon, those are shovel ready - all the utilities are in, fire hydrants, curbs, street signs... irricana's got one that isn't as close (stalled with half the services run) - I've heard of 2 other developments SE of calgary...
    I would be nice if Cochrane could finally start moving that huge subdivision off highway 1a. Hell there's a dozen brand new finished houses and duplexes that have been boarded up for 5 years or so. I didn't realize other towns have this too.