Quantcast
Urban vs Suburban - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Urban vs Suburban

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by rage2

Let's talk about this again when you start a new job downtown lol.
    or a job where you have to travel anywhere else in the city.
    or if your friends live anywhere besides the south
    or if you like to party dt

I'm so happy I moved away from Cranston. Inner city is by far the best.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by ddduke
    I'm so happy I moved away from Cranston. Inner city is by far the best.
    Let's kill some time while we wait for this storm to hit *somewhere*.

I've had the Urban/Suburban debate with the gf. I stayed with her regularly in Renfrew, and even looked for homes in the area. In the end, it's just not worth it. From my perspective:

1. Inner City you're paying double for the same sq footage in an 40+ year old home.
    2. Inner City you're paying triple for the same sq footage for an infill.
    3. Inner City, you're not going to find triple garage, unless you spend millions.
    4. Inner City, parking sucks. Garage space is limited, and you have to drive through alleys, which is a PITA for my cars as they're pretty low.
    5. Inner City, street parking sucks if you don't have a garage or can't make it in without scraping. There's never enough street parking. And parked outside, I cringe whenever it hails, hoping it's not big enough to damage the car. Have friends over for a party? Prepare to park a block or 2 away.
    6. Inner City, drive to work sucks. You're never over 50km/h.
    7. Inner City, I saved about 10 mins on my commute. 15 mins to get in from Renfrew, 25 mins to get in from Arbour Lake, in rush hour. Driving into and through downtown happens regardless where you live, and the extra 10 mins is motoring bliss.
    8. Weekend driving for errands/shopping, out of Renfew, never get any good speeds/driving. 50 everywhere. Traffic everywhere. In Arbour Lake, there's always awesome roads to drive/corner. Fun stuff.

Honestly, if I wasn't a car guy, Inner City works. The money I save on cars, I'd be able to use that money on a house of the same size.

I'm sure if she reads this, she'll have a completely different POV.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I would much rather transit (train not bus, eww) into downtown than drive.

I can sleep on the train, read, listen to music, watch people, etc. I just find it more relaxing than driving in that cesspool of assholes downtown.

Most days its even quicker.

Disadvantages are the usual, drunks, children screaming, smelly people.

Anywho, I also down like inner city homes, I like areas like Braeside, Silver Springs, etc.

Big Homes, Decent Pricing, Trees.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Let's kill some time while we wait for this storm to hit *somewhere*.

I've had the Urban/Suburban debate with the gf. I stayed with her regularly in Renfrew, and even looked for homes in the area. In the end, it's just not worth it. From my perspective:

1. Inner City you're paying double for the same sq footage in an 40+ year old home.
    2. Inner City you're paying triple for the same sq footage for an infill.
    3. Inner City, you're not going to find triple garage, unless you spend millions.
    4. Inner City, parking sucks. Garage space is limited, and you have to drive through alleys, which is a PITA for my cars as they're pretty low.
    5. Inner City, street parking sucks if you don't have a garage or can't make it in without scraping. There's never enough street parking. And parked outside, I cringe whenever it hails, hoping it's not big enough to damage the car. Have friends over for a party? Prepare to park a block or 2 away.
    6. Inner City, drive to work sucks. You're never over 50km/h.
    7. Inner City, I saved about 10 mins on my commute. 15 mins to get in from Renfrew, 25 mins to get in from Arbour Lake, in rush hour. Driving into and through downtown happens regardless where you live, and the extra 10 mins is motoring bliss.
    8. Weekend driving for errands/shopping, out of Renfew, never get any good speeds/driving. 50 everywhere. Traffic everywhere. In Arbour Lake, there's always awesome roads to drive/corner. Fun stuff.

Honestly, if I wasn't a car guy, Inner City works. The money I save on cars, I'd be able to use that money on a house of the same size.

I'm sure if she reads this, she'll have a completely different POV.
    You make some good points but it all depends what type of property you get and what part of the inner city. Im in Bankview and my place is only 2 blocks from 17th and the biggest reason we moved here is that it makes me central to work and my gf can walk to work.

I also have a 2 car garage with an oversized driveway which can easily fit 6 cars. So parking isn't an issue, but most places don't offer this.

What I hated most in the burbs was people always sticking their noses in your business. If I were to entertain then the police got called, worked on a car bylaw got called, dog barked was a bylaw call, grass wasn't cut then bylaw again. Another issue was shithead teenagers everywhere, fucking with everyone's shit.

The biggest issue you missed with inner city is homeless people and hippies everywhere. Another shitty thing is that it's almost always loud at night.

I just like living here because:

-Talisman is super close
    -I party every weekend and can walk to the clubs
    -Have parties and not a single person cares.
    -Walking distance to great food
    -NEVER have to drive or pick up my gf
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

15 mins to get in from Renfrew, 25 mins to get in from Arbour Lake, in rush hour.
    I'll take your word regarding Arbour Lake, but 15 min from Renfrew to DT is bologne.

And ironically, the only triple garage for sale in Arbour Lake is 1.05M
    Last edited by msommers; 07-13-2012 at 12:18 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by msommers

I'll take your word regarding Arbour Lake, but 15 min from Renfrew to DT is bologne.

Who the hell would commute via car from renfrew to DT!?!?!?!?!?

Hope the rainstorm is going to start up soon, I'm NW near nose hill and nothing
    Last edited by J-hop; 07-13-2012 at 12:28 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by msommers

I have to drive through downtown. Same time if I drove around downtown and in through the west end, fighting traffic with the suburbanites. Driving home is even worse. I routinely get to Arbour lake faster than the gf going to Renfrew because 5th ave is retarded.

Find me an inner city infill with the same sq footage and triple garage at anywhere near 1.05m.

Originally posted by J-hop
    Who the hell would commute via car from renfrew to downtown
    Someone who loves to drive?

Nothing but light rain here and a wicked light show.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Someone who loves to drive?

Nothing but light rain here and a wicked light show.
    Lol or someone who enjoys fighting traffic and paying out the ass for parking. I just find it laughable because renfrew is within walking distance of downtown. Jump on a bike and you'd be down town in 5 without even having to break a sweat so no need to shower.

I can see justifying driving in from some far away neighborhoods but it would just be silly to drive from renfrew.

Sorry for the thread sidetrack I just found that outrageous.

So apparently reading > some posters in this thread as not once did rage2 state that he worked downtown. Never the less, each is allowed their opinion - myself, I couldn't live in the outlying burbs, just too much driving to do even the simplest thing. My mid-50's neighborhood gives me access to all sorts of shops and services within a 15 minute walk or a less than 5 minute drive whereas people that we know that live in Tuscany, well everything is pretty much a significant drive away and most definitely more than a comfortable walk away.

Now grant it there may very well be many more fun roads out in these areas, but I'd rather trade convenience for having fun roads at my doorstep and besides that, the noise that comes with these fun roads in not at my doorstep. Right now, 1 Totem, 2 Safeways, 1 Superstore, 1 outdoor pool, 1 indoor pool, 4 indoor rinks, 8+ elementary schools, 4+ jr high schools, 2 sr high schools and an untold number of automotive, restaurants and small businesses catering to pretty much to every need all within a 5 minute drive of our current home - fun roads, jump on McKnight and I can be roaring up a storm in Arbour Lake in around 10 minutes. But this works for me and that's not to say it's what would ever work for rage2 or others.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

I love living inner city though the cost of living is definitely higher but offsets it a little because I do not have to drive that far to go to work or I can even walk to work if I need to.

The only action I get when I drive to work is Memorial Drive which quickly turns to 50km/h going East.

We got a paved alley which is lowered car friendly and a double detached garage.

Just really depends on what house you end up and you could have a comfortable house though not that big but good enough

Every amenity I need is within 5 minutes drive and I would hate to live in the suburban and drive all over the place for errands and appointments let alone spending 30 minutes plus behind the wheel going to work.

Originally posted by speedog
    So apparently reading > some posters in this thread as not once did rage2 state that he worked downtown. Never the less, each is allowed their opinion - myself, I couldn't live in the outlying burbs, just too much driving to do even the simplest thing. My mid-50's neighborhood gives me access to all sorts of shops and services within a 15 minute walk or a less than 5 minute drive whereas people that we know that live in Tuscany, well everything is pretty much a significant drive away and most definitely more than a comfortable walk away.

Now grant it there may very well be many more fun roads out in these areas, but I'd rather trade convenience for having fun roads at my doorstep and besides that, the noise that comes with these fun roads in not at my doorstep. Right now, 1 Totem, 2 Safeways, 1 Superstore, 1 outdoor pool, 1 indoor pool, 4 indoor rinks, 8+ elementary schools, 4+ jr high schools, 2 sr high schools and an untold number of automotive, restaurants and small businesses catering to pretty much to every need all within a 5 minute drive of our current home - fun roads, jump on McKnight and I can be roaring up a storm in Arbour Lake in around 10 minutes. But this works for me and that's not to say it's what would ever work for rage2 or others.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by J-hop
    Lol or someone who enjoys fighting traffic and paying out the ass for parking. I just find it laughable because renfrew is within walking distance of downtown. Jump on a bike and you'd be down town in 5 without even having to break a sweat so no need to shower.
    I don't really fight traffic until close to downtown. I work on the west end of downtown, so It's not a 5 minute walk. I guess I could walk if I worked at the homeless shelter lol.

As for biking, I biked here and there to work, but with a 4 year old coming along, a 5 minute bike ride becomes a 20 minute bike ride. Biking home was even worse, have you biked with one of those tow carriers with a 40lb child up the Crescent Heights Hill? Try the same thing while it's raining too haha. It's not pleasant.

As for parking costs, I can afford it, doesn't make a difference to me.

haha I work downtown. Convienence was never a factor here. I'm 2 mins from Crowfoot. Costco? Superstore? Walmart? 5-8 mins. The only place I go regularly that's far was Ruth's Chris haha. It was about the same time for me to drive to any of those stores from Renfrew.

The best compromise I could find with my gf was West Hillhurt, which is really at the edge of inner city. Was even going to sacrafice some space, but nothing out there with ideal garages, even 2 car, that works well.

As for your ameneties description, I have the same things here with a 5 min drive. Even my gf, who argued all those points before moving in, agrees now that it's pretty convienent here. What we do miss is walking distance corner stores. We only have an Amaranth within walking distance.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Moving to Aspen has made me fat. While we were waiting for our house to be built, we live in The Montana. I walked to and from work everyday. Seriously never drove once.

But I hate condo living.

So a Q for rage2, how much space do you and your gf need? How about this inner city gem, a bit pricey for most but it comes with a four car attached garage measuring 44'x20' with in floor heat and floor drain - great location. Another nice one - this bungalow offers a bit less home, but the yard and location are quite something. Both are quite stunning homes.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Inner city folk

I can understand why someone would want to live inner city... but what I don't understand is why everyone who does live inner city thinks everyone who doesn't live down there just doesn't get it. And they spend so much energy trying to convince us suburbanites that our lives are so terrible living in the burbs. Have a friend that does this all the time and it pisses me off haha.

Carry on...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Inner city folk

I can understand why someone would want to live inner city... but what I don't understand is why everyone who does live inner city thinks everyone who doesn't live down there just doesn't get it. And they spend so much energy trying to convince us suburbanites that our lives are so terrible living in the burbs. Have a friend that does this all the time and it pisses me off haha.

Carry on...
    i've done both, if i could have my huge lot on a quiet street beside a park with 2600sqft of living space inner city within my means... i'd move back. cause, it is that much better

My Ride
    MB E420, Honda Civic DX-G

Inner City is boss. I live very close to the core, 2 blocks, and have lived in the burbs for most of my life. Inner City is much better then driving/biking or commuting to work. 5 min walk trumps 10min drive even if you can "afford the parking".

NO doubt.

But I should add a caveat, that once we have kids we plan on moving South to quarry park untill they start Jr. High, then back DT.
    Last edited by desi112; 07-13-2012 at 09:24 AM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by ercchry

i've done both, if i could have my huge lot on a quiet street beside a park with 2600sqft of living space inner city within my means... i'd move back. cause, it is that much better
    Yea if you could get all that a comparable price I'd probably be in too.... but you're looking at double or triple the price for comparable properties.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Holy fuck, admin, thread split pls!!!!!!

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by 88CRX

Yea if you could get all that a comparable price I'd probably be in too.... but you're looking at double or triple the price for comparable properties.
    one day when my house budget triples... i'll do it. but i want to do a custom infill so i'd need a lot for the down payment. so as another caveat, one day when my budget triples AND my current house is paid off. i'll do it

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast