Thread: Best place in Canada to retire?

My Ride
    Ford F150

Okanagan
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Wherever I can have a vineyard.

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    Okanagan
    I really don't understand this. Can someone enlighten me.

In the summer you are swarmed by tourists, people acting like ballers in their 1/16th fractional condos and other misc people. Small towns are almost overwhelmed and traffic on the highways can be a nightmare. Then there is always the risk of forest fires making the entire valley smoky and hazy (if they don't take your house).

In the winter most towns like Vernon are dead, stores and restaurants close early and the weather is dry and sometimes still pretty cold.

Unless your idea of retiring is getting a house in the middle of nowhere and reading books and gardening until you die is your idea of retirement... I don't really understand the appeal.

Maybe I am missing something.

My Ride
    NC1

Don't want to think that far ahead. Live and enjoy life now. Don't want to think of growing old. Life is too good right now. haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    CBR600RR

^ is that why you HELOC everything?

On a more serious note, Penticton would be pretty high on my list. East coast would be pretty sweet as well, Nova Scotia or PEI.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-10-2019 at 03:44 PM.

My Ride
    ////M

Fernie or Kootenay
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

Originally posted by swak

That would actually be second on my list.
    End of August i will be moving to Wpg. love it out there (also going for school - so... just happened to be).

My grandparents have a cottage on Hecla Island on Lake Wpg. Crazy nice out there as well.. And cheaper than BC by far.

Interlake Manitoba is where its at.
    I... Fucking... HATE... Winnipeg. Hate hate hate hate hate.

I read an article awhile back and it rated best places to retire in Canada. Victoria was number 1.

The Island, doesn't really matter where, though retirees overpopulate Victoria & Parksville/Qualicum already, so I would go anywhere else.

Cowichan Valley, Nanaimo, Comox Valley. I don't think I would go north island though.

Even Port Alberni has a lot of potential and it's the cheapest real estate market on the Island.

You can't beat the weather here. Super dry & warm summers and then basically no snow in the winter.

We had our first rain fall in a few weeks last night. I think last summer we had a 6 week span without any rain.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Okanagan for sure. The island doesn't get warm enough for me and everyone there seems poor and dirty.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    Okanagan for sure. The island doesn't get warm enough for me and everyone there seems poor and dirty.

That's because there are no good jobs there apparently... plus you'd always have to worry about sinking into the ocean.

I think the appeal of the OK is obviously the abundance of outdoor activities available literally minutes from your door, plus the weather, vineyards and locally grown fruit doesn't hurt either.

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    There's more to the Island than South Nanaimo... haha.

It gets just as hot here in the summer as the Okanagan does. We just had two plus weeks of 30 degree weather and once you factor in the humidity it is bloody hot around here. Too hot actually. Sunshine & 20-22 degrees is what I prefer and what is normal around here from May-September.

The difference is that we don't get the cold & snow in the winter, like the Okanagan.

Originally posted by project240
    That's because there are no good jobs there apparently... plus you'd always have to worry about sinking into the ocean.
    There are about as many good jobs here as there are in the Okanagan. Not many. In fact, that is the case pretty much everywhere in BC except the northeast corner (Ft. St. John, etc).

Sink into the ocean? LOL. WTF? This isn't some little cay, it's a fucking massive rock. It isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Richmond BC... yeah, I'd be worried about being there during a big earthquake. The Island, not so much.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by masoncgy

Sunshine & 20-22 degrees is what I prefer and what is normal around here from May-September.
    The Okanagan is a little warmer than that in the summer.

Leamington ON just by Canada's most southern point...- Point Pelee. It happens to be where most of my dads family lives. Not too bad weather, surrounded by the lake, lots of fresh everything in the area. Close to the states and major airport. ahh I can hardly wait.

My Ride
    4x4

Newfieland...

Have a buddy who retired from PPCLI out there, 60k bought a nice beach house. Spends the spring/summer/fall out there - once it gets cold - heads to florida/texas...

Pretty nice life if ya ask me...

We're retired. St. Albert for 6 months, then travel for 6 months. Mostly just LA now because, really, there's everything there and everyone speaks English. Yeah, I'm old. If my wife wants to go foreign, she goes alone (yup, married for a long time, we do that).

Mexico, Europe, Cuba, Africa, Australia, been there, done that, they all suck for one reason or another. Got old, only go to known fun places and LA is it for me.

My wife is younger and she'll head off to other places, then when she gets back, it's always, 'should've just went to LA'.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Sink into the ocean? LOL. WTF? This isn't some little cay, it's a fucking massive rock. It isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Richmond BC... yeah, I'd be worried about being there during a big earthquake. The Island, not so much.
    Think again, I lived for 13 years in Nanaimo and was very aware of the imminent dangers

If the Cascadia fault slips in its entirety (during a 9.0 earthquake - there is a 10-15% chance of this happening in the next 50 years OR 40% chance of an 8.2 earthquake), there is a good chance that many parts of the Island will slip 1-2m below sea level - as happened during the 1700 AD megathrust event.

(Richmond would turn into soup immediately)

The Island would be the last place to have power restored since the island generates almost none of its own electricity and needs to have power strung from the mainland. These towers and cables are not rated for severe earthquakes. The island could be without power for months.
    Last edited by revelations; 07-24-2012 at 11:51 PM.

In Canada? Montreal for sure. I haven't been everywhere but so far there's no place like home. If I were really a huge outdoor guy, somewhere in BC or Alberta would be nice but I'm a city slicker born and raised and Montreal is the best city in Canada, even if you're old. Vancouver would be a close second in terms of Canadian cities I like best. There's no place like I home I guess...
    Porsche 944S2 Cabrio

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

QUOTE]Originally posted by revelations

Think again, I lived for 13 years in Nanaimo and was very aware of the imminent dangers

[/QUOTE]

Clearly you don't realize where you're living and what Could happen... It's a real possibility, albeit a small one, but pretty sure most who live there or Richmond or anywhere on the coast should know about it.

Obviously, it's a beautiful area, but you can find equally beautiful places somewhere else.

I've always thought about retiring to Oregon or N California somewhere where all those massive Redwoods are...

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-10-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast