Quantcast
Exotic Racing Experience in Vegas - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Exotic Racing Experience in Vegas

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Default Exotic Racing Experience in Vegas

I searched but none of the posts I saw gave a really deep outline of the experience?

It's actually pretty difficult to find a solid story of the whole experience online. How is the day outlined? Do you get to check out the whole fleet before it starts? Like walk around, maybe sit in them? Is the training really long/boring? How is the discovery lap?

I'm thinking of either doing 7 laps in the GT-R or doing 5 in the GT-R and 5 in the SLS. Leaning more to GT-R and saving a bit? The GT-R's 3.1 second 0-60 is plenty for me

I did this last April. I'm at work and unfortunately don't have a ton of photos on me besides the ones I took with my Iphone. I have a video walk by but I also don't know how to upload that right now (I could e-mail it via iphone)

Day goes as such:
    We showed up about an hour n half earlier then time slot. You check in, show valid license, sign some paper work. Final confirmation for the cars you selected. You have the option whether you want to have a DVD of in car/pro cam for your drive, if you want a ride along in the GT3RS, and other side things.

They hold the orientations every 20 minutes or so. You sit in a room they talk about safety, what to do if you lose control, the track layout, which pylons represent the apex/braking points etc.

After that is complete depending how early you came will reflect how much time you have to walk around. I used this to the fullest. You can walk up and sit in the cars, take pics/videos and look around. They ask you to be careful about people pulling in/out etc.

I had selected the F430 and the superleggera for 5 laps each along with the DVD cam option. If you select that option they give you a USB key that you carry and the driver instructor loads in the car.

They announce your name when its time and tell you to head over to XX car and you strap in, instructor does a quick overview of the car/big reminders. Then you're off. If you do a second car, you wait another 10-15 minutes and repeat.

Discovery laps were great. Those guys can really drive that Cayenne Turbo around. Training wasn't too long, 15 minutes max IIRC. I was too excited about driving the cars to care anyways.

My only recommendation is to take 1 car you really really want and drive it for 10 laps. Instead of doing two for 5. Because you waste time, you can't just full out the gates with it for safety and straight away merging reasons. I'm going to vegas next week and considering doing this again, I'd probably hop into an Italia/Scuderia for like 7-10 laps if I was to do so.

My Ride
    W204

Getting there: They'll schedule a time of arrival. Be on time. There will be others sharing your slot time. If you're early, you can check out the cars, which are all parked in the staging area. All doors are unlocked and you are free to sit in any of them, take pics, chat with the instructors, etc... There will be SEVERAL examples of the most popular cars, like the F430, 458, etc..

Training (about 20-30 mins?): They usher you into the training room. Some VERY VERY basic training like a diagram showing a car taking the proper line through a very generic corner, and that's about it. And don't floor the Murcielago. But most of the time is spent on etiquette (how to treat the cars) and how much you should tip the instructor (every car you ride will have an instructor beside you). And then upsell you to drive more cars and buy the in video option as well as a ride in the drift car (was a Z06 but advertised as a GT3). Then you do the discovery laps in the Cayenne GTS (not a turbo). It's fun watching the instructor drift it with 5 guys. Definitely learn more in those 2 minutes than in the pointless classroom session.

Driving: You do NOT pick which specific car you get if they have more than 1, and you do NOT pick which one you get to drive in which order. Your run, you'll be going pretty slow as the instructor tries to gauge your driving skills. They do make you granny shift (like way before redline) and they do make you brake early. But.. If you're good (and they can easily tell), then they'll let you go balls out too.

The instructor will also call out to you when to brake, when to shift up/down, when to turn in, when to mash the gas, etc.. They really do tailor their instruction to you. Basically, you don't worry about anything other than enjoying yourself. In fact, all the mirrors are set for THEM so you have no fucking clue what's going on behind you. A little disconcerting at first but it works. There's also passing too and there's a whole system for that.

Once you're done your laps (easily < 1 minute each), you head back in and tip the instructor if you feel like it.

I would highly recommend you NOT drive the GT-R. It was the worst of the ones I drove. Remember 0-60 in 3.1 is the newest iteration (i.e. 2012). The one they have is a 2009 and quite a bit slower. Not to mention that it's been beat to death. Also, there was NO WAY to defeat the auto up shift. It was fucking annoying. If you're looking for an experience and don't want to pay out the ying yang, do the Aston Martin Vantage V8. I had more fun in that than even the Murcielago because they make you take it easy on the lambo as it has no traction or stability control and 600+ HP.

Also, depending on your goal, you might have more fun with more laps in a fast car than taking out different cars. With only 5 laps, by the time you've gotten comfortable with the car, the session is over. My buddy did 12 in the Scuderia and was able to really pull off some great laps after getting to know the car. But at the same time, my goal was to try as many cars as possible, so I only did 5-6 laps in each of 5 cars.

Now having said that, I am a wimp and you can pull some pretty good G's in those. So after my 3rd session, I was starting to feel nauseated. Never had a problem with my MR2 on a track, but these cars are in a totally different league.

Hope that's the kind of info you're looking for. All in all, it was an amazing and unforgettable experience, and I would go back in a heartbeat.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

The website specifically says they have the new GT-R. They have pics and stats of the 2012.

If it's the old one then yeah, I'm not interested in that. Good point on the comfort thing I'll probably be doing 10 laps in one car I think.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

I'm thinking the Turbo S then?

2.6 0-60

^

I just popped on to take a look at the site, as its been a yearish since I went, different cars etc.

Between the F430 and Superleggera, I had a much much better time in the F430. Granted the speeds I hit on the straight away in the SL were much higher.
    The big thing which might seem weird to others, is the fact you have that big ass helmet on, and in the SL its a bucket seat that isn't adjusted well. Where as the F430 you could get much more comfortable in it, and the drive around the track was more enjoyable for me.

My brother commented that the R8 wasn't nearly as exciting as the gallardo he drove on the 2nd ride.

In the end it would come down to which car excites you the most and in the budget. 10 laps in that car is a great choice. It will definitely go by quick =)

I don't think I would be too worried about the 0-60 time, because honestly you shouldn't be going much under 60 anyways
    lol

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Good point! haha.

I just confirmed with them, the GT-R is the 2012 so it seems like the best value. But damn... A the turbo S would be killer!

Oh man the tough decisions one has to make

My Ride
    Evo, civic

Some guys described it really good! I got there 20 minutes early and and they let sit in any car and take as many pics as you want. Then they called us for the classroom for like a 20 minutes and they talk about some basics and when to brake and how to let someone pass you etc. Then you lined up and wait for a turn in the Porsche (non turbo) During that lap the explain more on how to drive and take the turns. Then they called you for any of the cars you booked. I booked the gallardo and the 458 for 5 laps each. I drove the Italia first and honesty my head was spinning when I got out haha! It handles like nothing else and it's so so easy to drive! It's like supermodel sex perfect Then I drove the gallardo and it was such a different experience! They are 100% different and you would have to get used to the car from zero and learn it how to drive. It's a fast car but more difficult to drive than the Italia. You could possibly be texting when driving the Italia and the focusing as much as possible on the gallardo and the Italia would still be easier to drive. All I remember from the gallardo drive was the instructor saying "keep turning in even more and gas to the floor" When I got out the gallardo my arms were sore as hell due to the heavy steering (opposite to the Italia) Driving a car for 10 laps will for sure let you take a car to the limits and run a faster lap because as soon as you get into the second car it's like you are learning how drive again.

PS: it's about a 30 minute drive from the strip. I took a taxi and it was $55. Took a limo back to the hotel and it was only $60...

My Ride
    ////M

We were there in May and there was no Turbo S Will definitely be heading back the next time we are in Vegas though (although we debated renting an exotic for a day for how much we spent)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Pick the days for outside instead of inside/midfield. Outside track is a bit longer and more fun. 10 laps is better than 5. Unless they upgraded the camera to HD, I won't bother with the camera option.

As fast as GTR is, try the 458. Nothing on their lot come close to that car.

My Ride
    W204

I'll be frank... It's EXOTICS racing, go drive an exotic, not a GT-R. The GT-R to me just felt like a really fast Japanese car. There's nothing exotic about it. If you want a really raw experience, drive the F430 Scuderia. It is essentially a road legal race car. I think more than the acceleration, it's how these cars handle that really set them apart. The 458 was fun as hell but like mentioned, it's almost a little too easy to drive. In fact, I found the nannies waaaaay to intrusive. I'd floor it and I can feel the car backing off slightly before letting loose. But yeah, if I had to pick ONE car, it'd be down to the Scud or 458. And on a budget, the Vantage V8 hands down.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Well I went with 10 laps in a GT-R and two of my buddies are joining me got 7 in the SLS and 7 in the Vantage... Let the Top Gear-esque jokes begin!

I know it's "exotic" racing but not only is the GT-R my favorite car, but it's also the best value and within my budget. I didn't want to pay the same and drive a more exotic car for half the amount.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 07-19-2012 at 10:22 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

SLS 430 scud, 458, aventador and 997 turbo S...maybe GTR I really have to make my way down there. I wonder if it 5 laps how much you get to experience the cars before it's all over. If you're going to do something like this, go balls out and do what you want. How often are you gonna do it? Maybe never again........ maybe next summer

Well got it all figured out. Anyone wanna go to Vegas in April!

Last edited by msommers; 07-19-2012 at 10:48 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

If I was taking it out on the strip the GT-R would be my last choice, but since I'm taking it out on a track all I car about is speed and this is the fastest car I could comfortably afford 10 laps in.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by msommers
    SLS 430 scud, 458, aventador and 997 turbo S...maybe GTR I really have to make my way down there. I wonder if it 5 laps how much you get to experience the cars before it's all over. If you're going to do something like this, go balls out and do what you want. How often are you gonna do it? Maybe never again........ maybe next summer

Next time I'm there, sls and aventador would be on top if my list.

Out of all the ones I tried, only 458 make me feel I got it right in 2 to 3 laps. The rest I had to struggle.

GT-R is the rawest car there. It's like rocket strapped to a tin can. Its definitely fun.

My Ride
    Evo, civic

I love the GTR but like they said, to me it isnt an exotic if I can buy in the future. It also looked extremely extremely ugly besides the 458 italia or almost anything out there. Dont get me wrong because it is an amazing car but there it just fell like cheap car. Yes it is fast but im not even sure if it is faster than the 458 and for sure not than the aventador and even if it is YOU wont be able to tell how that .005 of a second faster feels like. Next time Im doing the SLS AMG and maybe the murcierlago <3

The 458's TC was annoying just like someone said! Lambo ftw lol

My Ride
    W204

Here's something else too... Each and every one of those cars is fast in their own right. Driving them around the track, you will NOT notice really how fast they are, but how good they handle. I was on the outfield and there was the back straight and the front straight where you could really pin it. And even then, it WILL take you at least 10 laps to get comfortable with the track. The instructor will see this and will hold you back.

I don't even know how fast I went and at no point did I ever look at the speedo as I was honestly too busy with paying attention to the road and avoiding death. They also stress this by never giving you lap times or even hinting of it. So if you want to compare lap times, you MUST buy the on board video.

But still.. It's not so much the speed, it's just the overall experience. As mentioned, a GT-R is definitely something that I can own in the future, whereas a Ferrari.. No chance, especially something as raw as a Scuderia, which is essentially a road legal race car.

Xtrema, I don't know what you've been smoking, but the GT-R is VERY MUCH NOT the rawest car out there. Of all the cars, the GT-R is absolutely THE LEAST RAWEST car by a huge, huge margin. A computer in that car keeps it going the quickest. How does this make it the most raw? The most raw car is the Murcielago with it's lack of nannies (but sucks as the instructor restrains you from going balls out in it), but the hardest to control and likely the QUICKEST if you know how to drive, is the F430 Scuderia. The 458 is very close behind, but the nannies keep it from being fastest.

Regardless of what you chose, you'll have fun and that's all that really matters.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Hate to bump this thread this morning but it kinda just hit me...

IM GOING TO BE DRIVING A FUCKING 2012 GT-R AROUND A RACE TRACK IN TWO WEEKS!!!!!

This is like a dream come true!
    I thought I might have some buyers remorse but I'm just so FUCKING excited.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Nice!! Share your impressions when you're back please.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    W204

Matt, not sure if you're serious about your plan, if you plan on something like that, I'd split it into 2 days/sessions. That's a LOT for your mind and body to take and you'll be pooped 1/3 of the way through. Like I said, I was nauseous after 18 laps.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast