Thread: China’s CNOOC to buy Nexen for $15.1-billion

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Default So...nexen

Apologies if this is a repost

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report-...service=mobile

Thoughts, opinions?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

I know of one person who will be very, very flush from this sale should it go through. I swear this guy could lose $10 in the street and find $20 around the corner. Always ends up $$$.

I was told at least a decade ago that one day we will all be working for the Chinese. The person telling me this was learning Mandarin and he had his two kids in private school emphasizing mandarin and the ways of China. Not too bad for an older man from the south of the USA, he saw it coming.

He who controls the means of production.....
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 07-23-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-10-2019 at 03:42 PM.

It won't go through - it's too dangerous. But we should never underestimate other people's greed
    Last edited by effingidiot; 07-23-2012 at 10:16 AM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Wow This could be very interesting, for me Personally too.

Excited to see how it plays out.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I worked for a subsidiary of Unocal when CNOOC tried to buy them. American Government blocked that pretty swiftly.
    This is a bit different, as Canada is bending over backwards to prove we are freinds with the Chinese, plus CNOOC has gotten smarter over the years and has structured this in a very friendly way.

I think it'll go through.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Civic, MDX

Curious to see what (if anything) the Canadian gov. does.

I find this interesting because Kevin Reinhart (interm CEO) had stated to employees numerous times since taking over that the company was not for sale. So either he was lying or the Chinese made an offer the board could not refuse. Also wonder if this decision had anything to do with Marvin & Gary N "leaving the company" earlier this year.

Employees have been told their jobs are safe, seems to be consistent with the Chinese's typical approach to acquisitions - i.e. own rather than operate.
    Originally posted by t_soarer
    ....can anyone say "retarted"?
    Originally posted by leftwing
    no more retarted 18 year old girls who fail out.
    Originally posted by benyl
    The english language is retarted...
    Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    Stanced cars look retarted anyways.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Well since they stated that they will make Calgary the head of all of their North and Central American operations, maybe we'll see a new skyscraper come out of this? No way they could fit in Nexens current digs.

Plus the Chinese always build high and with flare, niether of which describe Nexens building... It could lead to a nice addition to our skyline.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I work for Nexen and actually wrote my Master's dissertation on Foreign M&A in Canada's Energy Sector and our policies towards same because I expected a big deal like this to happen.

Note that I don't usually comment on Nexen, but as I have exactly the same amount of information as the public on this deal, I feel safe to speak here.

The Investment Canada Act has very few provisions that could be used to reject this takeover. Given the way the press release was worded, I think this deal is going to be approved.

They stated that CNOOC will listed on the TSX, the employees and management will remain unchanged, headquarters will continue to be located in Calgary and contributions to the oil sands research will continue. My guess is that CNOOC already discussed this with the Federal Government and unless there is huge public backlash (as there was with the Potash deal) then this is a done deal. Given Alberta's free trade perspectives and the international mix of Nexen's assets, I can't see the Conservatives rejecting this.

A solid pay day for me. Good times!

My Ride
    Civic, MDX

Originally posted by dj_patm
    Well since they stated that they will make Calgary the head of all of their North and Central American operations, maybe we'll see a new skyscraper come out of this? No way they could fit in Nexens current digs.

Plus the Chinese always build high and with flare, niether of which describe Nexens building... It could lead to a nice addition to our skyline.
    Now that they own Nexen their NA operations are roughly 33% of their total global production, while that is a big chunk of their portfolio I doubt they'll have more than a couple hundred employees headquartered in Calgary. Not worthy of a new building. With all the people bound to leave Nexen, I'm sure a few floors will open up

Originally posted by viff3r
    Curious to see what (if anything) the Canadian gov. does.

I find this interesting because Kevin Reinhart (interm CEO) had stated to employees numerous times since taking over that the company was not for sale. So either he was lying or the Chinese made an offer the board could not refuse. Also wonder if this decision had anything to do with Marvin & Gary N "leaving the company" earlier this year.

Employees have been told their jobs are safe, seems to be consistent with the Chinese's typical approach to acquisitions - i.e. own rather than operate.
    With the intermediate-bigger players, it's very rare that they'll publicly say the Company's for sale. Especially due to the fact that there are only a handful of Companies that could afford to purchase them.

I think this decision was definitely accelerated with the two exec's leaving, but it's also been in the process for quite some time so it's hard to say. The metrics are a bit on the higher end of what I would've expected, especially since foreign companies are trying to get rid of the "expectation of a high premium" for international acquisitions...but I guess they have cash to spare!

Should be interesting...and Talisman Energy is selling a 49 per cent interest in its UK division to Chinese firm Sinopec Corp interesting times.

Although the rumours of Nexen being sold has been for a few years at least.

Lets see if the Government allows it. Chinada, lol...we were told at least 10 years ago to skip the French and take up Mandarin as well, interesting this was on her a few posts ago. China has the money. Canada resources are for sale apparently.

My Ride
    Civic, MDX

Canadas resources should be for sale. We only have a population of 30 million. There is no way we could ever use up the few trillion barrels of oil within 20 generations or so. And hopefully by then - cold fusion or some other technology will be invented.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Kritafo
    Canada resources are for sale apparently.
    As opposed to hoarding them in a big tank?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I read this earlier this morning and I welcome our future Chinese overlords.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Canadas resources should be for sale. We only have a population of 30 million. There is no way we could ever use up the few trillion barrels of oil within 20 generations or so. And hopefully by then - cold fusion or some other technology will be invented.
    What has happened here? ZenOps has made a thoughtful, well informed post and didn't once mention nickle? Must've left his account logged in somewhere, gotta be that...

Also, back OT; Nexen's been up for sale for awhile, not really a surprise the Chinese bought them, it'll be interesting to see how it changes day to day over there.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by flipstah
    I read this earlier this morning and I welcome our future Chinese overlords.
    I'll keep you in mind.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I think the real concern should be, which company will likely be bought next so I can buy some stock
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by msommers
    I think the real concern should be, which company will likely be bought next so I can buy some stock
    Beyond insider trading meet?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast