Quantcast
car2go - Page 29 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: car2go

Isn't it 25% over a month?

So you could have the whole street covered some days and none the rest of the month and not reach the 25%?

They were getting 80 complaints a year? that number doesn't seem to be a lot to me, and how many were from the same people? This won't affect my usage as I just use it once in a while when I need to run an errand during the day. I think the city is being stupid, where else did they expect 550 cars to park? Especially when the home area is where most the residential permit street parking is.

Restriction is a go, Pincott tried to stop it, Nenshi was the deciding vote on getting the new policy in place.

I have to wonder though - is the clustering really affecting any businesses or is it just the appearance of this clustering that has people's feathers all amiss?

Calgary SUN

Car2Go will face penalties if its parked car-sharing vehicles routinely take up more than a quarter of a block, as Mayor Naheed Nenshi cast the decisive ballot in favour of the anti-clustering policy.

Coun. Brian Pincott’s bid to reject enforcement of this parking restriction for Car2Go’s Smart cars lost on a 7-7 tie Monday, upholding a committee’s vote earlier this month. If the company’s vehicles take up too much curbside space and its staff doesn’t move them regularly, Car2Go will effectively lose the small-car discount Calgary Parking Authority offers it.

Nenshi backed the crackdown on clustering because, he reasoned, about 100 new car-share parking spaces at downtown street corners will ease the issue at mid-block.

“My sense is that it will sort itself out,” Nenshi said. He doesn’t expect the city will need to enforce its policy, but the mayor said he wants officials to have a tool in case clustering does remain a headache.

On some weekdays, more than half the 550 blue-and-white car-share vehicles in Calgary are parked downtown.

The city lacks data on curbside clustering, but has received several complaints about it from businesses and the Calgary Downtown Association.

“I think there’s a debate on whether it’s a problem, but it’s happening,” said Mac Logan, the city’s general manager of transportation.
    Last edited by speedog; 03-31-2015 at 07:05 AM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Clustering is taking up viable parking spots for normal vehicles in the downtown core to park.

Where 1 car could park 2 or 3 Car2Gos park and make it difficult to find a spot.

Juts trying to create some discussion here - please note that I think the new measures are a good thing but is it just people's perception of the clustering that may be the problem?

There are about 3,000 on-street parking spots in the downtown core and this does not include the beltline - if more than half of the 550 Car2Go fleet are taking up these downtown parking spots, let's say 400 for a good healthy number that's considerably more than 50%, that still probably only accounts for about 10% of the downtown on-street parking stalls considering how much space a Car2G0 takes up. That's why I wonder if it's people's perception that is askew here - there just seems to be a lot of parking space that is still not used by Car2Go.

I suspect maybe the real issue is where the Car2Go's are being parked in the downtown core - in prime spots where everyone would like to park. If that is indeed more the case, then by all means enforce the new policy and have the Car2G0 move their vehicles so as to make these "prime" spots more readily available on a regular basis - I would suspect that there is more "churn" when it comes to regular vehicles parking in prime spots as compared to Car2Go vehicles in those same spots. If Car2Go parking behaviours, whether real or artificially manipulated through legislation, were to be about the same as regular parkers, then I don't think there would be as much of an issue regarding clustering as "prime" spots would come up regularly as opposed to having a number of Car2G0 's occupying them for possibly the bulk of the business day.

Please note that I am not a regular downtown on-street parker - lucky if once every 6 months and as such, I am just speculating here as to what the real problem may be. For all I know, maybe everyone's perception is spot on and I'm just trying to blow smoke up everyone's arse.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Would be interesting to know if those Car2Go's are sitting all day, or if they are being moved multiple times. If they are being moved, then it's more of a perceived problem than a real one.

Car2Go has this data. Maybe they're already working on analyzing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Totally agree. They are looking at the wrong problem. Who cares about clustering.

Businesses care about creating opportunity for customers to come in and out of the area.

If a block of Car2Gos is moving on average every 2 hours, you are actually enabling more customers to come into the area because of the smaller size of cars.

If the Car2Gos are sitting parked for 6 hours, it's a valid gripe.

My Ride
    Exploded.

BUMP.

Does car2go communicate internationally? As in, can I use my Calgary membership in Austin, TX?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by flipstah
    BUMP.

Does car2go communicate internationally? As in, can I use my Calgary membership in Austin, TX?
    US yes, Europe no.

FAQ #3
    https://www.car2go.com/common/data/l...Access_FAQ.pdf

I used them down in San Diego last month. Very cool! Found them within blocks of wherever we were. All electric and all free parking.
    Even used one for most of one day, and only cost us $58!!

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

What happens if you park car2go in your garage for the night instead of on the street?
    I like neat cars.

Then the meter keeps running.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Looks like I can end trip in my garage, so technically, I could park in the garage to ensure I would have the car the next day. Not to say I would do this, but I was curious if it was possible and their was a car2go near by to experiment with.
    I like neat cars.

Originally posted by 90_Shelby
    Looks like I can end trip in my garage, so technically, I could park in the garage to ensure I would have the car the next day. Not to say I would do this, but I was curious if it was possible and their was a car2go near by to experiment with. [/B]
    How on earth do you come up with that conclusion??!!

No you CANNOT end your trip in your garage. If you park in your garage then you still have possession and will be charged at a rate of $90 per day, and/or could be fined $100 for "parking in an unauthorized area".

Sheesh. Read the parking rules on their page. It's all quite clear.

Last edited by C_Dave45; 05-16-2015 at 07:32 AM.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Originally posted by C_Dave45

How on earth do you come up with that conclusion??!!

No you CANNOT end your trip in your garage. If you park in your garage then you still have possession and will be charged at a rate of $90 per day, and/or could be fined $100 for "parking in an unauthorized area".

Sheesh. Read the parking rules on their page. It's all quite clear.

Dave, I think you misinterpreted my posts. I was curious if you could end trip in a private garage. This was meant to be a similar inquiry to, can my car go 150 km/hr, and yes, my car can go 150 km/hr but I shouldn't do this as it is braking the rules and there is a chance that I could get caught.

In regards to car2go, yes it is possible to "end trip" in some private garages and I agree with you that a person could potentially get caught doing this, which could result in a fine as it is against the rules. With that being said, the meter doesn't keep running like a "stop over" as you can "end trip" as I did.
    I like neat cars.

Originally posted by 90_Shelby

Dave, I think you misinterpreted my posts. I was curious if you could end trip in a private garage. This was meant to be a similar inquiry to, can my car go 150 km/hr, and yes, my car can go 150 km/hr but I shouldn't do this as it is braking the rules and there is a chance that I could get caught.

In regards to car2go, yes it is possible to "end trip" in some private garages and I agree with you that a person could potentially get caught doing this, which could result in a fine as it is against the rules. With that being said, the meter doesn't keep running like a "stop over" as you can "end trip" as I did.
    Always fun phoning in those ghost car2go's that someone tucked away. With GPS accuracy below 1m these days, it isn't hard to narrow them down.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Haha cool. 4 door Mercedes B-Class available for car2go. Same price as a normal car2go.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Haha cool. 4 door Mercedes B-Class available for car2go. Same price as a normal car2go.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Pretty sure it's only for us black card users.

edit: could be wrong
    Last edited by l/l/rX; 09-28-2015 at 01:45 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Nice. Those are pretty nice little cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

For everybody. Same price 41 cents/min plus $1 insurance per trip.

Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 ... LastLast