Quantcast
U of Calgary MBA Part Time 2012 - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: U of Calgary MBA Part Time 2012

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Steve Pagent is a former director from First Energy who did infrastructure research who guest lectures at UofC, I think he works for the ASC now.

I took portfolio management from him in block week and it was a reading the answers out of the textbook exercise. Not sure what he would be like teaching a normal course rather than block week.

Most people got an A in his class that I remember but I didn’t feel the instruction was great, he just read off the slides and gave us tests, but it was also a block week so less than ideal.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

LOL

"some guy named Steven Pagent"(sic)

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

hey man, I haven't exactly been impressed with the quality of instruction to date.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

I can't comment on the quality of instruction, but when it comes to M&A in Calgary, I just figured his name would be familiar.

I'm probably over analyzing, but around here, it seems sort of like going to basketball camp and being taught by "some guy named Koby Bryan(sic)"... He might be a little older, and who knows if he can teach worth a damn, but you might still recognize the name as someone that's "been there, done that"...
    Last edited by you&me; 08-14-2019 at 03:10 PM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Ah, gotcha. Makes sense. That's great to hear, he should be an excellent prof then.

I've only acquired shitty contracting companies, so what I do know!

My Ride
    Changes everyday...

Hello,

I am thinking about applying for the evening MBA program, just wanted to ask how firm are they on the 3.00 GPA? I am not sure if it is for the entire or Undergrad or just the last 2 years of it. Start is in September 2020 if I apply now?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Not firm at all.

Pretty sure it’s whole undergrad.

They have a formula where they blend GMAT score and undergrad GPA. So if you have a good GMAT score you can have below 3.0, and can have below a 500 GMAT if you have a good GPA.

That being said, I have very little faith that UofC turns down anyone from that program who wants to pay.

You can probably start January 2020 if you get your act together quickly (late October cutoff I believe)

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Seems different for everyone.

I had a 3.1 in undergrad and they were firm on me getting over 550 on the GMAT as I had to rewrite it when I scored 510.

Then I spoke to another person in my cohort who got in with a 2.5 and 500 on the GMAT. It's Haskayne, bring your knee pads.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

What the fuck are we supposed to be learning by having exams with these types of questions?

Name:  8792E936-1F58-41D5-9D9D-A828631238D1.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  34.7 KB

My Ride
    2002 e46

What is a practise question?

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Bumping this up, work is tentatively covering me on the accelerated program because it saves them about 2/3’s cost (and thankfully I have been exempted from the gmat due to prior gpa). Getting in has become interesting with Covid because sending transcripts as a process has basically broken down. Going to re-read this thread but how many classes per semester work out with a 40 hour work week? 2-3?
    Last edited by finboy; 06-08-2020 at 07:36 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I personally wouldn’t pay money to take an MBA online with UofC. Most of the profs had issues figuring out email and PowerPoint so I can’t imagine the quality of education of online only. If I had to put up with a remote MBA I would be looking at queens etc. where the program is far more tailored to the teaching medium.

2-3 classes a week is fine for most jobs ( if going home before 6 regularly is acceptable then you will be fine ).

4 is pushing it but not so bad for a semester or 2. That being said, there is next to no benefit to rushing your MBA so unless you have some kind of scheduling conflict I wouldn’t take more than the minimum required to graduate on time.

I take it you already have a BComm? Despite work wanting to pay for it I would ask yourself what you intend to get out of the program (aside from letters) because a vanilla MBA doesn't really teach you much you didn’t already learn in undergrad. In an “accelerated” program you also essentially miss out on the whole cohort concept, you won’t take enough courses with many to get to know them and form those “connections” people talk about. I think I have beaten this to death in the thread already though.

fact.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I personally wouldn’t pay money to take an MBA online with UofC. Most of the profs had issues figuring out email and PowerPoint so I can’t imagine the quality of education of online only. If I had to put up with a remote MBA I would be looking at queens etc. where the program is far more tailored to the teaching medium.

2-3 classes a week is fine for most jobs ( if going home before 6 regularly is acceptable then you will be fine ).

4 is pushing it but not so bad for a semester or 2. That being said, there is next to no benefit to rushing your MBA so unless you have some kind of scheduling conflict I wouldn’t take more than the minimum required to graduate on time.

I take it you already have a BComm? Despite work wanting to pay for it I would ask yourself what you intend to get out of the program (aside from letters) because a vanilla MBA doesn't really teach you much you didn’t already learn in undergrad. In an “accelerated” program you also essentially miss out on the whole cohort concept, you won’t take enough courses with many to get to know them and form those “connections” people talk about. I think I have beaten this to death in the thread already though.
    I have 2 business undergrads, plus a business intelligence cert. from sait. I suspect by January classes will be back in person, I wouldn’t do this online as there are way better offerings out there for that. If work agrees to cover it, it actually would set up a better opportunity for the future, and if the classes are anything like my b.comm undergrads it doesn’t seem like it would cost me much more than time.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I did 4 per semester on top of the 40 hour work week and had a three month old at home at the time. It honestly was pretty manageable but if you do not love crazy workloads 3 is fine. The MBA classes are farily small so I assume that they will be back by January at the latest.

My Ride
    fairlady tt

Have your employer look in to the Canada Alberta Job Grant there is even more savings to be found there.

Quote Originally Posted by P_D View Post
    Have your employer look in to the Canada Alberta Job Grant there is even more savings to be found there.
    Do you have any links to read more about this?

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Anyone get a required time post-grad from their employer after their Mba program? Curious how long everyone was locked in.
    Last edited by finboy; 10-13-2020 at 02:04 PM.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

So who's still working on their MBA from 2012?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Lulz. Someone negged me for this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

So I've been looking more and more into the MBA program as I have about a 3year window before my kids start to get involved in activities where my wife and I could make evening courses work. Can someone explain to me the difference between U of C's eMBA and MBA program besides the ~$50k difference in price tag? It looks like its the same courses but you do friday/saturdays versus evenings + block weeks but everything else looks equal? I'd be paying out of my own pocket so its not like that is even a choice but I don't understand what justifies the exorbitant additional cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast