Quantcast
U of Calgary MBA Part Time 2012 - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: U of Calgary MBA Part Time 2012

Submitted my last paper... as long as I pass everything..

Goodbye MBA!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Good luck bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ickyflex View Post
    Submitted my last paper... as long as I pass everything..

Goodbye MBA!
    Congrats, i look forward to being in your shoes in 2 months. Counting the days!
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Congrats dude! 2 courses this spring and 4 electives to finish for me. Time flies.

Though I might have to take opma again lol. Horrible experience with the lady teaching it - http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/Show...sp?tid=1085954. Don’t know who thought it was a good idea have this woman teaching an MBA class. I’ll have to see how the final goes in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Congrats dude! 2 courses this spring and 4 electives to finish for me. Time flies.

Though I might have to take opma again lol. Horrible experience with the lady teaching it - http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/Show...sp?tid=1085954. Don’t know who thought it was a good idea have this woman teaching an MBA class. I’ll have to see how the final goes in two weeks.
    Oh no you had her? Ouch I had her for OPMA in my undergrad, terrible experience lol.

Sounds like quite a few of you are finishing up soon too. Whoo!

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I have 3 courses left. Going to stretch them out and do 2 fall one winter next year.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Solid work fellas

What do you guys think if I take full time job and finish my 5 courses (electives) over 2 semesters in the evening? Will I want to kill myself or is it easily managed?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I wouldn’t call it easy but it can be managed. Depends how demanding the day job is.

I took 5 courses over winter last year while starting a new job, I was busy but I made it work.

I personally get quite anxious when the work day starts to stretch into class time so that was the worst part for me.

2 semesters of it would be hard imo.

There are some electives that can be taken over a 3 week period, all day Saturday and Friday evenings. I found those way easier to pile on since you know it’s over in a few weeks. Between that and taking a week off each semester for block weeks. It can be done.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Solid work fellas

What do you guys think if I take full time job and finish my 5 courses (electives) over 2 semesters in the evening? Will I want to kill myself or is it easily managed?
    All depends on the electives chosen. First semester I took three evening electives while working and I found it was less demanding than every other semester thus far. I'd suggest 2/2 and then 1 block week (technology commercialization..5 days off yes but it's done all during that week, nothing more than that week of class)

Solid work fellas

I did it for several years (pretty much all of my degree) and did not find it difficult. Evening classes are usually a bit easier, and they often end early because the prof wants to get out of there as bad as you do come ~9PM (unless you have one of those students that speaks up even if the class ends 10 min early because they aren't getting their 'money's worth' lol). All my profs were from the UofC.

You will have less free time (obviously) but the biggest factor will probably be how easy you find school in general. I am the type of person who does everything the night before - whether it is study a final exam, midterm, or do a whole term project and I never had any issues. If you're the type of person who needs a long time to prepare for everything then it becomes a lot more time consuming. Group projects in evening classes are the most annoying, but manageable and hopefully few and far between. If you generally find school easy, I say go for it and it probably won't be bad at all.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Thanks gents. Will have to think about it some more.

School sounds like it will be manageable. Just gotta figure out if I want to allocate the majority of my time working for another corporation again!

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

To be honest should be easy. I did 8 course this year working full time with a 3 month old and started another company during the semester as well. 8 was a little much and was quite burned out by the end but If your a hard worker its certainly doable.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Back to work full time, will only have 4 classes to finish come fall. So figure 2+2 and graduate by April 2020.

Unless I fail OPMA, lol. Got 67.5% in the course, prof wouldn't bump me up to a B- and said it would be moving up the chain. Fuckers better give me that 2.5% for putting me through that horrible experience.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Man my opma course was super easy as an engineer. Like most people I knew walked out with A+’s and 100’s on the exams.

They must have really bumped it up after seeing our grade distribution.

Into my final semester next week. Can’t come soon enough haha

fact.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

It's not that it was a difficult course, it was just a very poorly delivered one. 70% of our grade was split between midterm and exam, and she developed them in a way that was not intuitive and was a matter of creating a cheat sheet that reflected what she thought was valuable.

Wrote an email to the department that outlined my frustrations with the course;

The first frustration lies within the instruction. Maria's accent made it extremely hard to understand the material and the way it was delivered was nearly impossible to follow. She did not encourage discussion among peers on the subject matter, and we were all treated in a very childish manner when asking questions.

The second frustration lies within the course material. We signed up for an MBA class in Operations Management and we were delivered an undergraduate course that was complete with undergraduate assignments and exams. We were even forced to write our exam with close to 300 other students and were rounded up like cattle in an extremely unsafe matter leading into our final exam as shown in the attached photo. I don't believe that this was fair for any of the MBA students as we paid for a masters course and were not delivered one.

The last frustration lies within Maria's unwillingness to work with students and help them with any issues. I had written several emails to Maria over the semester that were typically ignored, or replied to in a manner that I do not believe is professional. She was nearly impossible to reach during office hours, and on occasion she would turn down students because she had too many at her door during her allotted office hours.

I am disappointed that I have to write this email, but I feel extremely ripped off with what we have been provided in terms of an Operations Management course during this semester and I know that there are several students who feel the same way.

School basically just said sorry, that's not right and left it. Just pisses me off that I put my career on hold so I could get a proper education experience and this is the type of shit my time is wasted on.

It's not that it was a difficult course, it was just a very poorly delivered one. 70% of our grade was split between midterm and exam, and she developed them in a way that was not intuitive and was a matter of creating a cheat sheet that reflected what she thought was valuable.

Wrote an email to the department that outlined my frustrations with the course;

The first frustration lies within the instruction. Maria's accent made it extremely hard to understand the material and the way it was delivered was nearly impossible to follow. She did not encourage discussion among peers on the subject matter, and we were all treated in a very childish manner when asking questions.

The second frustration lies within the course material. We signed up for an MBA class in Operations Management and we were delivered an undergraduate course that was complete with undergraduate assignments and exams. We were even forced to write our exam with close to 300 other students and were rounded up like cattle in an extremely unsafe matter leading into our final exam as shown in the attached photo. I don't believe that this was fair for any of the MBA students as we paid for a masters course and were not delivered one.

The last frustration lies within Maria's unwillingness to work with students and help them with any issues. I had written several emails to Maria over the semester that were typically ignored, or replied to in a manner that I do not believe is professional. She was nearly impossible to reach during office hours, and on occasion she would turn down students because she had too many at her door during her allotted office hours.

I am disappointed that I have to write this email, but I feel extremely ripped off with what we have been provided in terms of an Operations Management course during this semester and I know that there are several students who feel the same way.

School basically just said sorry, that's not right and left it. Just pisses me off that I put my career on hold so I could get a proper education experience and this is the type of shit my time is wasted on.
    They didn't give you a higher grade and are making you retake the course?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Sounds like it!

Sounds like it!
    That is unreal, I'd be annoyed. I'm not surprised granted how they handled the whole "new" accelerated program.

UofC don't give a shit.. tells everyone to pound sand.

It's why I tell people don't bother with MBA unless it's paid for because the quality is the worst.

Shitty deal man, I'd be unimpressed if I were you.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Very unimpressed, but I've caused a huge stink and rallied a bunch of students to write letters regarding the professor so hopefully it gains some traction.

Just added my courses for fall and winter, just looking for some feedback..

Hoping to do the following;

Fall - OBHR 721 Advance Leadership, FNCE 765 Mergers & Acquisitions, ENCI 699 Law for Project Managers
    Winter - BSEN 761 Ethics & The Professional Manager, FNCE 759 Investment and Portfolio Management

I know M&A was highly recommended, any feedback on the others?

Thanks gents

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Ethics with Janaa is good. Not a bird course by any means but it is a different way of looking at things.

I would have really liked to take new venture law or NV finance but neither worked out for me.

fact.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast