Quantcast
U of Calgary MBA Part Time 2012 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: U of Calgary MBA Part Time 2012

Default U of Calgary MBA Part Time 2012

Hi everyone. Just wondering if there is anyone here that is starting their part time MBA at U of C this fall?
    I registered super late and finally got my acceptance letter. I'm 30 yo and have been out of school for 7 years so I'm a little nervous about going back.
    I thought it would make things easier if I talk to some people that are currently doing their MBA or are starting their MBA this fall.
    A little about me...

Went to Queen's University.
    Literature Major
    Graduated in 05.
    Worked up to Director of Operations at Holiday Inn
    Currently Working in Communications Industry in Product Marketing

Hoping to specialize in Finance and switch to O&G

Please give me a shout if you are attending school this fall!
    Last edited by badbeatjackpot; 07-25-2012 at 02:00 PM.

How bad is less than stellar?

PM me if you want to keep it anonymous.

Let's just say I could have done better...
    That being said, my GMAT score and work experience was pretty good to offset the grades
    Last edited by badbeatjackpot; 07-25-2012 at 01:55 PM.

My Ride
    Accord

I'm guessing the less than stellar comment was your grades? I hear ya there. Spent way too much time drinking during my undergrad at U of A. I do want an MBA down the road, in probably 4 years or so, so in the meantime I'm chasing my CFA and FRM, hopefully they'll overshadow the fact that I failed Stat 265 :P
    Of course, after CFA L3 I'll be studying just as hard to nail the GMAT. Assuming I'm still interested in MBA at that point.

Default Re: U of Calgary MBA Part Time 2012

Originally posted by badbeatjackpot
    Hi everyone. Just wondering if there is anyone here that is starting their part time MBA at U of C this fall?
    I registered super late and finally got my acceptance letter. I'm 30 yo and have been out of school for 7 years so I'm a little nervous about going back.
    I thought it would make things easier if I talk to some people that are currently doing their MBA or are starting their MBA this fall.
    A little about me...

Went to Queen's University.
    Literature Major
    Graduated in 05.
    Worked up to Director of Operations at Holiday Inn
    Currently Working in Communications Industry in Product Marketing

Hoping to specialize in Finance and switch to O&G

Please give me a shout if you are attending school this fall!
    Do you know much about oil and gas? Do you know much about finance?

An MBA is for someone who has extensive experience and is looking to take their career to the next level, not switching into a different industry. Just because you have an MBA doesn't make you qualified to be in O&G nor Finance.

Not trying to ruin your dream just trying to give you some more to think about.

As for the MBA program itself...I hear it is relatively easy.

My Ride
    2002 e46

Default Re: Re: U of Calgary MBA Part Time 2012

Originally posted by Type_S1

Do you know much about oil and gas? Do you know much about finance?

An MBA is for someone who has extensive experience and is looking to take their career to the next level, not switching into a different industry. Just because you have an MBA doesn't make you qualified to be in O&G nor Finance.

Not trying to ruin your dream just trying to give you some more to think about.

As for the MBA program itself...I hear it is relatively easy.
    I am finishing up my part time MBA in the fall here, specializing in finance, and I did make the switch to O&G. So it is possible to make an industry switch. The MBA is a generalist degree, so it actually makes you more versitile and opens up doors to switching industries. The switching ability may not come directly from the course material itself, but more from the networking contacts you build through the MBA experience.

Default Re: Re: Re: U of Calgary MBA Part Time 2012

Originally posted by sk8r3124

I am finishing up my part time MBA in the fall here, specializing in finance, and I did make the switch to O&G. So it is possible to make an industry switch. The MBA is a generalist degree, so it actually makes you more versitile and opens up doors to switching industries. The switching ability may not come directly from the course material itself, but more from the networking contacts you build through the MBA experience.
    Thanks for your comments. I find the post above kind of funny because it's intentionally a very discouraging comment yet he "heard" an MBA is relatively easy without actually going through the experience.

I agree with your sentiments. Most people that HAVE taken the MBA say one of the keys to a successful MBA is networking. Also, yes I heard its easy if you just want the title MBA but if you actually want to learn and absorb everything, there is a fair amount of work (which I intend to do).

I know the road ahead will be quite challenging but I'm willing to study and network as much as it takes to make the switch.

Sk8r, did you have a financial background or commerce degree prior to specializing in finance or was it a complete switch?

When you say networking, was it through internship or talking to your classmates who had an "in" for a job?

My Ride
    2002 e46

I have an economics background doing market research before working towards an MBA. I can say that I am in the O&G job right now because of an email I sent out to someone in my Block week class who I was in a group with. Lead to a summer position, which in turn has now turned into a full time position with a top Oil Sands player.

I have also gained networking through events put on through the Hayskayne organization. Most importantly has been with some of the judges brought in for the annual MBA case competition. I highly recommend volunteering when the opportunity presents itself.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Just curious.. for those who are working toward or have completed their MBA while working full time doing the night classes.. if you had the finances and income to take the time off to complete the degree during the daytime, would of you?

My Ride
    This and that.

I know this is an old thread but somewhat related to the topic a thought came to mind.

While as some of you know I am in a completely unrelated field, the thought of doing a MBA has crossed my mind every now and then. Not necessarily for progression in my career but just for the general benefit a MBA can provide. Now it likely won't happen for me cause I am just way too busy now to devote attention to a degree but when I very briefly looked into it last year, Athabasca MBA came across my list. Even if I were to do it, it would have to be an online program for me.

Now I know what everyone thinks of Athabasca (as do I to an extent) but I was surprised to read/hear that their MBA program is actually one of the better rated (as far as online MBA programs go) and if I am remembering correctly if you have the life experience etc, doing a GMAT is not a requirement. Anyway, not sure if this'll help anyone but just thought I'd throw it out there.

My Ride
    ute

I only had a very short period of time to study for the GMAT (a few days), but I think those types of challenges/tests are interesting. If one of the appeals of an MBA program is because you get to avoid these types of challenges, then why are you considering doing an MBA?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Whoops, thought I was replying to my own thread and not bumping a 6 year old one...

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just curious.. for those who are working toward or have completed their MBA while working full time doing the night classes.. if you had the finances and income to take the time off to complete the degree during the daytime, would of you?
    No. It's a different demographic.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Whoops, thought I was replying to my own thread and not bumping a 6 year old one...
    I quit my job last October because it was getting in the way of school, was stuck between a rock and a hard place. So yea I would definitely considering dropping everything and doing full time for a year if you can make the numbers go around.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Thanks for the input killramos. Starting the full time program in 4 weeks time. Looking forward to go back to school after being out for 6 years!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Congrats, maybe I’ll see you wandering the halls during block week.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I’ll be the guy who looks out of place ha ha.

What’s the best option for parking? Art parkade permit?

Cheers

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The open lot by scurfield hall is best for sure. Right along crowchild, just watch out for hail I guess...

As for feeling out of place, you will never feel so old in your life when the first year undergrads are milling around haha. I think block week is during frosh week, at least it was last year.

fact.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    The open lot by scurfield hall is best for sure. Right along crowchild, just watch out for hail I guess...

As for feeling out of place, you will never feel so old in your life when the first year undergrads are milling around haha. I think block week is during frosh week, at least it was last year.
    Which parking permit do I order for that lot?

Thanks.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Not sure you can get a permit for that lot, I pay the day rate.

fact.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast