Quantcast
Rockyview Motorsports Park - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Rockyview Motorsports Park

My Ride
    2003 Nissan 350z

thats what i heard also, but i really don't understand as to why.. it would make a lot of profit considering the large community here, it would definitely be a huge profit, plus it would make the streets safer since people will have a place to get their adrenaline fix

2003 Nissan 350z - Daily Driver
    2003 Lexus IS300 5spd - SOLD
    1994 Acura Integra Frankenstein - SOLD
    1999 Honda Prelude SH - SOLD

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Because NIMBY's. Badlands is green lit though.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

Because, quite frankly, there is an anti-motorsports/anti-car mentality here. Nobody wants a track near them for a variety of excuses - noise, traffic, etc. Some see it as a playground for the rich and hate it for that reason. Others want to "preserve the agricultural heritage" of the land. Race City, for all it's faults, was unique in that it was a race facility within the city. There is no chance that will happen again.

Council was the reason, the Councilor in the area proposed is a farmer...ill let you figure out the rest..

It had nothing to do with Airdrie city council in case anyone was wondering... It was Rockyview district that was the issue. Farmers just don't want it in their back yard. I understand their perspective but I don't really agree with it...

It had nothing to do with Airdrie city council in case anyone was wondering... It was Rockyview district that was the issue. Farmers just don't want it in their back yard. I understand their perspective but I don't really agree with it... It is a shame they couldn't make it fly.

that's Council for you at Rocky View.

And this has been beat almost to death onto multiple other threads. People need to realize that this auto sports venue and the one out near Drumheller (Badlands) are not going to ever be what Race City was. The Rockyview venue was pretty much a closed course - regular joes weren't going to be able to regularly use it. The Rockview venue was probably never even going to consider any sort of regular Secret Street type of event that Race City quite successfully hosted and the Badlands facility, if they even offer such a thing, is just too far away to effectively replicate Secret Street on any level. Neither of these facilities also would've had an oval which was also a big part of Race City's offerings.

Never the less, I don't ever foresee anything along the lines of Race City for a long time within a reasonable distance to Calgary - that was a facility that really had a lot of grassroots racing going on and they catered to that crowd and promoted that quite well. Badlands maybe has a chance but the distance will be a huge limiting factor and it really needs to be noted that they haven't moved a single shovel of soil in getting this facility going - plenty of announced plans, updates, etc but no chickens should be counted until we start seeing some pavement laid down.

Really, if the Calgary motor sports community wants to get something else going, then they need to be looking southeast of the city where there's just less people living - maybe 6-7 miles SSE of Indus or possibly the old Dewinton RCAF station/airport some 8 miles east of the Carnmoney gold course. Both areas are within 20 miles of Calgary's deep SE/south and are rural enough that something proposed out there might stand a half decent chance of coming to fruition.
    Will fuck off, again.

The old Calgary south Airport...Dewinton RCAF.... wont be viable anymore since the land to the north has just been sold for development.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

it failed due to piss poor planning... look at the back end work Jay has put in with badlands vs rockyview. night and day

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-13-2019 at 01:46 AM.

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

The only comment I would make is that the difference between Badlands and Rockyview was the strategy taken to get the track built. Badlands is working on getting all the approvals in place and then getting the money. Rockyview went about trying to get all the money first and then the approvals. In my opinion Badlands has the correct strategy and Rockyview should have concentrated on getting their approvals in place first. If they had the approval to start building you can bet the money would flow rapidly to make it happen.

So 7-8 miles SSE of Indus, sort of SW of Dalemead then.

If I remember correctly, anyone that owned a home in Shepherd got free season's passes to Race City - remember that's when Shepherd was not a part of Calgary and when Shepherd was the nearest population center to Race City.

So look at relatively vacant rural land about 6km SW of Dalemead - about a 25km drive back to where the ring road turns north. Maybe 2 or 3 residences within a 3 km radius - Google Satellite view.

Building a motor sports facility on virtually the outskirts of Airdrie near a lot of rural residences and acreages nearby - yeah, just didn't seem that it would ever go through.
    Last edited by speedog; 04-16-2015 at 11:09 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I don't think that is fair to say, I know somebody who was involved with this and they put a lot of work into it
    great marketing firm... piss poor developers

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by speedog

Really, if the Calgary motor sports community wants to get something else going, then they need to be looking southeast of the city where there's just less people living - maybe 6-7 miles SSE of Indus or possibly the old Dewinton RCAF station/airport some 8 miles east of the Carnmoney gold course. Both areas are within 20 miles of Calgary's deep SE/south and are rural enough that something proposed out there might stand a half decent chance of coming to fruition.
    Jay lives in Calgary and often races in Fort MacLeod, if there was a chance to build the track 20 minutes South of Calgary I would think those locations would of already been reviewed and dismissed for one reason or another.

Originally posted by 94boosted
    Jay lives in Calgary and often races in Fort MacLeod, if there was a chance to build the track 20 minutes South of Calgary I would think those locations would of already been reviewed and dismissed for one reason or another.
    Never said south - that would be ne'er to impossible. I said SE and my DeWinton RCAF location was rebutted with good reason so what's left is ESE of the city south/SW of the Indus/Dalemead area.

I don't doubt that Jay (whomever he is, don't know him) did a lot of homework but a motor sports facility just isn't going to happen if it's on the doorstep of any size-able municipality or if there's any amount of rural population nearby. That pretty much pushes things out in a SE direction from Calgary as any other direction just finds more people.

Doesn't really matter now as it'll be at least a decade before anything gets built that even come close to rivaling what Race City could offer the masses and certainly it won't be on Calgary's doorstep.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I don't think that is fair to say, I know somebody who was involved with this and they put a lot of work into it
    Putting a lot of work into a poorly managed/planned project happens all the time. He's not accusing everybody involved of being incompetent, he's saying the project itself wasn't planned properly and he's right.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

I said SE and my DeWinton RCAF location was rebutted with good reason...
    What reason?

My Ride
    Trucks

Can Rockyview or local farmers have any say to a drag strip that happened to be built on privately owned land with no business attached to it? Some dude just happens to like asphalt and has lots of friends visiting regularly.

I don't doubt that Jay (whomever he is, don't know him) did a lot of homework.

Doesn't really matter now as it'll be at least a decade before anything gets built that even come close to rivaling what Race City could offer the masses and certainly it won't be on Calgary's doorstep.
    "A lot of homework" is a MASSIVE understatement. It's easy to just say "Eh it should be here". The reality of securing land required for this type of facility must be monumentally complex.

Badlands will be a different facility than Race City, no drag strip for one. My guess is cars will be running at the Badlands facility sooner than a decade, probably a lot sooner.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast