Quantcast
Rockyview Motorsports Park - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Rockyview Motorsports Park

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

This is terrible, hopefully the guys behind this don't get discouraged and have the funds to find a new location.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by Modelexis
    HardNoX Track Dayz

Well folks the decision is in. Rockyview Motorsports Park was denied their application. So the development will not go ahead at its proposed location. Stayed tuned for updates
    Sad news. We need a damn track. Bunch of NIMBYs out there.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-12-2019 at 11:21 PM.

My Ride
    14' 435i

This definitely sucks

I was looking forward to what this place had in store for motorsports. Looks like its more long drives up to Edmonton again this year..

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by GOnSHO
    This definitely sucks

I was looking forward to what this place had in store for motorsports. Looks like its more long drives up to Edmonton again this year..
    Did you think it was going to get approved, built, and ready to race by spring or something?

This country is going to come to a stand still at some point with a few people complaining about pipelines, race tracks or anything else. All because gov't has created this onerous, red tape infused process to pass anything.

Build this stuff in a down turn, maximize the cheaper labor, keep people working. We still need pipelines or at some point oil will hit $200/bbl and people will go, "damn oil and gas companies, screwing everyone for massive profit". When really all you can blame is society and the past choices. The cost to get to market will get very costly, very fast.

Same with people aren't going to stop building fast cars, driving them fast and putting people at risk.

Yes, the old tracks, most started as WWII airports. In Canada, we just removed all those. There used to be a runway up my Mount Royal.... gone.

If the Natives were smarter about it, they'd have their own race track and there'd be nothing anyone could do.

My Ride
    14' 435i

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Did you think it was going to get approved, built, and ready to race by spring or something?
    nope, not at all actually. Just wouldve been nice to have some hope that i wouldnt need to drive up there for the next 10 years.. ha

Even though this is not good news, the fact remains that this facility was not going to cater to the old secret street crowd nor was it interested in providing motor sports the the average Joe would come out to pay to watch on a weekend.

Simply put, we need another Race City type of venue that encompasses a road course, a strip and an oval. Problem is that it won't be near Calgary like Race City was unless it's on the reserve. Nearest outside of that that I can imagine would be out east of Chesteremere, south of Strathmore or down by Carseland. Just don't ever see such a venue for ever being built nearer to Calgary.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

You guys realize Badlands is still going ahead right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    I don't think many realizes that because they've been so low key, which in the end worked to their advantage.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Badlands is something like 80-90 minutes away and is missing a lot of what is needed plus the average Joe who wants to pay to watch some motorsports is going to bother to go that far. I am one of those average Joe's that regularly attended events at Race City and Calgary International and I would gladly do so again at a multi-track motorsports facility. My whole family would go and I know many others who would. Now we wouldn't participate as racers but volunteering at such a facility is someone we've done in the past and something we'd consider again. Problem is that is can't be 50, 60, 70 or more miles out as most average Joe spectators aren't going to bother driving that far.
    Last edited by speedog; 01-28-2015 at 10:35 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

My personal opinion is the Badlands guys went about things the right way and Rockyview not so much. Rockyview concentrated on fund raising first with the premise that if they get the money they could get the approvals. Whereas Badlands concentrated on getting the approvals with the premise that if they got everything approved the money would follow. I'm as disappointed as anyone that the track plan was denied but truthfully I'm not surprised. They really needed to do more on getting approvals for the facility instead of focusing on getting money. Approvals for these kinds of things are much harder to get than funds.

My Ride
    16' IS350 AWD / '93 LHD FD3S

lets do one of those "sideshows" that the guys in the states are doing on freeways... shut it down with donuts and races. But lets do one every night at the same time the proposal was declined.

fight the power.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by ercchry
    i just dont see how this will ever be approved... unless they've paid off council and there is no public hearing. this is airdrie... the most backwards place in southern alberta, the speed limits are 30km/h for christ's sake!
    damn im good

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

Originally posted by speedog
    Badlands is something like 80-90 minutes away and is missing a lot of what is needed plus the average Joe who wants to pay to watch some motorsports is going to bother to go that far. I am one of those average Joe's that regularly attended events at Race City and Calgary International and I would gladly do so again at a multi-track motorsports facility. My whole family would go and I know many others who would. Now we wouldn't participate as racers but volunteering at such a facility is someone we've done in the past and something we'd consider again. Problem is that is can't be 50, 60, 70 PR more miles out as most average Joe spectators aren't going to bother driving that far.
    To be quite honest, spectators for track events was a miniscule part of Race City when it was here. The money came from the fees paid by the guys on the track. No facility would survive if the plan was to cater to spectators instead of competitors. People will drive an hour out to drive on a race track if there are no closer options. I know guys who fly to Vegas just for track time.

Another track close to the city like Race City was isn't going to happen in my opinion. I said as much when people were bitching and moaning about the condition of Race City. People just didn't realize how lucky we were to have that facility and too bad it's taken this long without a track for that to sink in. We were spoiled before and it frustrated me to no end the amount of whining and crying there was about the pit lane/pavement/parking lot/etc.

If Badlands was able to score a weekend of full on Porsche Club racing, Ferrari Challenge racing or maybe even a Petit Leman's event do you still think people wouldn't make the hour drive out to watch? Because that is the only time spectators would make a difference and I fully believe people would make the trip.

PS: I believe that any new track cannot rely on volunteers to make it happen. Much better to have paid professional staff on hand.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

spectators were pretty damn important for us to offer affordable track time at RC though, probably half of our revenue

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Originally posted by speedog
    Even though this is not good news, the fact remains that this facility was not going to cater to the old secret street crowd nor was it interested in providing motor sports the the average Joe would come out to pay to watch on a weekend.

Simply put, we need another Race City type of venue that encompasses a road course, a strip and an oval. Problem is that it won't be near Calgary like Race City was unless it's on the reserve. Nearest outside of that that I can imagine would be out east of Chesteremere, south of Strathmore or down by Carseland. Just don't ever see such a venue for ever being built nearer to Calgary.
    I feel your pain but I don't think you will ever see another drag strip at a racing facility near here. The noise restrictions aren't what they were plus there is a list a 1/4 mile long of strips closing in the states. It's just not a feasible structure anymore. I think the plan at Badlands was to use the straight for H2H racing but even then there would probably be noise restrictions - good for roll racing I would suspect.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Originally posted by kevie88 years ago before Race City closed
    You guys are out of your minds if you think that we need to tear down Race City to make progress. What we need to do is upgrade what we already have (repave/redesign, new pit facility, new stands ect).

Once the track is gone, it's never coming back. Look what happened to Westwood in BC, the track closed and was never rebuilt somewhere else. Just.. gone forever.
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by mr2mike

If the Natives were smarter about it, they'd have their own race track and there'd be nothing anyone could do.
    except it would burnt to the ground in 6 months.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast