Rockyview Motorsports Park - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 19 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Rockyview Motorsports Park

My Ride
    girl car

Default Rockyview Motorsports Park

Sorry if repost,

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...346/story.html

CALGARY — The wheels are in motion to open a new, $27-million motorsports park in the Calgary area after the popular Race City was shuttered last year, creating a void for racing enthusiasts.

The proposed track, called Rockyview Motorsports Park, would operate on 1,200 hectares east of Airdrie and is being billed as “a world-class auto racing facility.”

If all goes according to plan, the new track — packaged with an executive airport — is scheduled to open one phase in early 2014, according to a proposal overview obtained by the Herald on Wednesday.

Ald. Shane Keating, whose ward includes the former Race City Motorsports Park, sat on a committee which was formed from interested parties shortly after the track’s contentious closure last fall.

The Motorsports, Arts Culture and Sports group (MARCS) approved the Rockyview Motorsports Park plan in late spring, giving the organization the go-ahead to find investors and set the bid in motion.

The parties involved have a news conference planned for Monday, according to Keating.

“There is a future for motorsports here and a very viable future,” he said Wednesday.

There is still plenty of work to be done, Keating said, including raising the money. “Now with plans for another track, we need the support of all the race organizations out there. We need everyone to come together so we can get this done.”

Keating said “thousands” of acres of land east of Airdrie has been “secured” for the development, which will likely include an airport, a go-kart track, a drag strip, car condos and restaurants.

The race track will be built on a 200-hectare parcel, he said.

“There has been a fair bit of money invested in securing the land so far,” said Keating.

The Herald was unable to reach anyone from Rockyview Motorsports or MARCS for comment Wednesday night.

Rocky View County’s reeve, Rolly Ashdown, said he has heard “rumblings” about the plan in recent months.

“Nothing official has been brought forward to us as a council,” said Ashdown, adding there will undoubtedly be public hearings held regarding the project.

“I look forward to what they (Rockyview Motorsports) have to say and also what the residents have to say,” he said. “Everyone will be heard, but we are not at that point yet.”

Shawn Bishop, who owns Rallysport.ca — a racing gear and equipment supplier — said he and others in the community are happy to hear racing might be revived in the Calgary region.

Bishop said his business has been negatively affected by the closure.

“The closing of Race City has affected my business as many racers have parked their cars until something new comes along,” he said, adding that a lot of drivers who would be racing legally in Calgary have taken their passions to other tracks, in B.C. and the United States.

Race City was shuttered last fall after its lease expired in December. It operated at 114 Avenue and 68th Street S.E. since opening in 1985.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Race+Ci...#ixzz21hGtYwqP

My Ride
    Bicycle

Like the horse track @ Crossiron right?

I'll believe it when I see it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Looks like someone forwarded Calgary Herald the investment presentation... the article is basically a summary of the proposal. Still a long ways to go, lining up investors, and getting permits, which is always the toughest part because the NIMBYs always shut it down.

Props to MARCS and Cardel to get this far tho.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    14' 435i

i actually know 2 people on the MARCS committee... i work with 1, hes the director of my group...

this is almost exactly what he was telling me today! so stoked! he went to the 24hr of le mans this year actually! i was super jealous

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by GOnSHO
    i actually know 2 people on the MARCS committee... i work with 1, hes the director of my group...

this is almost exactly what he was telling me today! so stoked! he went to the 24hr of le mans this year actually! i was super jealous
    Sounds like you work with Rick, he's a good guy and I hope everything goes as planned for the track.

(I was so jealous of their LeMans trip, his daughter sent me a postcard, haha)

My Ride
    Trucks

Really, what say or authority does a city of Calgary committee have over a private startup outside the city? I'm glad there is at least a plan, but it's ambition will be it's death. Tailwind Raceway has their land up for sale after everything was finalized.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Why did race city close? was it not profitable enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

What happened to the proposed Badlands Motorsports Resort? The website hasn't been updated in ages...

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by nzwasp
    The city wanted the land back for other use, so they wouldn't renew the lease.

My Ride
    14' 435i

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Sounds like you work with Rick, he's a good guy and I hope everything goes as planned for the track.

(I was so jealous of their LeMans trip, his daughter sent me a postcard, haha)
    yea i do, hes a nice guy.. i was very jealous..

heres to hoping this gets the go ahead.. one of my projects is almost done..

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by nzwasp
    No and city want to turn it into a dump for the eventual green bin.

Interview this morning seems it will be ready for 2014 season earliest and it's just a road course in the beginning.

Model will be user pays and sounds like initially will cater to exotic cars and corporate crowd.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Xtrema

No and city want to turn it into a dump for the eventual green bin.

Interview this morning seems it will be ready for 2014 season earliest and it's just a road course in the beginning.

Model will be user pays and sounds like initially will cater to exotic cars and corporate crowd.
    From what I saw on TV, the track layout could be done to accommodate future racing events? Maybe F1?
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by flipstah

From what I saw on TV, the track layout could be done to accommodate future racing events? Maybe F1?
    Race events is not the primary goal according to the interview. They will not go out of their way to attract race events unless it's proven profitable. They don't want throw $ to conform to many rules and requirements for events.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Race events is not the primary goal according to the interview. They will not go out of their way to attract race events unless it's proven profitable. They don't want throw $ to conform to many rules and requirements for events.
    Ah, gotcha. Well with all of the supercars present in Calgary, we are in need of a track with a nice layout.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

My Ride
    your mom

Wagers that this track will not be complete in 2014 anyone?

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Originally posted by 8Ball
    Wagers that this track will not be complete in 2014 anyone?
    Define complete?
    I'm assuming they'll end up scrapping at least half of the planned features. The day this city sees a decent Go-Kart track with fun Karts is the day hell freezes over.

Originally posted by dj_patm

Define complete?
    I'm assuming they'll end up scrapping at least half of the planned features. The day this city sees a decent Go-Kart track with fun Karts is the day hell freezes over.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by dj_patm

Define complete?
    Are you gunna cry when u have to drive 30-45mins to get to a BETTER go-kart track with fun karts? No it won't be in Calgary, the city of Calgary has given us a CLEAR picture that they don't give a shit, so the ppl who DO CARE have worked their ass off to come up with this plan, actually put it in motion for us.............and your bitching why?

"ya fuck w/e they will scrap half the shit and it'll be another POS race city" that's basically all I could translate from your statement. If that is truely what you believe then your retarded, plain and simple. If they hope to make something that WON'T get run down like race city, then they MUST do all the things they have proposed, and they damn well know it. Will EVERYTHING be done by 2014? No, of course not, but I expect the drag strip will be open and possibly an area for autocross and drifting, maybe even the oval will be completed by mid summer 2014. I really don't understand what your "expectations" are of this track but from where I'm standing you sound like a garage queen smearing shit all over the place just because u can. Sit back, shut your trap, and watch as an amazing track is developed for us. And if it takes till 2015 or even 2016 for it to be open to public use, SO BE IT YOU FUCKING BABY.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-10-2019 at 04:02 PM.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Originally posted by MGCM

Are you gunna cry when u have to drive 30-45mins to get to a BETTER go-kart track with fun karts? No it won't be in Calgary, the city of Calgary has given us a CLEAR picture that they don't give a shit, so the ppl who DO CARE have worked their ass off to come up with this plan, actually put it in motion for us.............and your bitching why?

"ya fuck w/e they will scrap half the shit and it'll be another POS race city" that's basically all I could translate from your statement. If that is truely what you believe then your retarded, plain and simple. If they hope to make something that WON'T get run down like race city, then they MUST do all the things they have proposed, and they damn well know it. Will EVERYTHING be done by 2014? No, of course not, but I expect the drag strip will be open and possibly an area for autocross and drifting, maybe even the oval will be completed by mid summer 2014. I really don't understand what your "expectations" are of this track but from where I'm standing you sound like a garage queen smearing shit all over the place just because u can. Sit back, shut your trap, and watch as an amazing track is developed for us. And if it takes till 2015 or even 2016 for it to be open to public use, SO BE IT YOU FUCKING BABY.

Someone is grumpy.

Sorry that I don't believe that all these things they list will actually be built. How often does a project in Calgary (and area) deliver on all of it's promises? Sorry for tempering my expectations.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 11 ... LastLast