Quantcast
Recommend a good toilet - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a good toilet

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Default Recommend a good toilet

I have had it with the toilets in my house. For the second time now we have had water damage from the toilet overflowing. These stupid toilets jam far too easily and they need to go. At least once a week they require plungering, and before moving in here I have never had to clear a blocked toilet before.

What toilets are out there that are hard to clog? I see lots that are advertised as hard to clog but I was hoping somebody on here would have some personal experience to share, as well as perhaps where to buy them and an approximate cost.

I don't care a lot about height or appearance so long as they come in white and I don't feel like I am sitting on the floor because they are so short. I am looking to replace 3 toilets.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

That sounds more like a plumbing issue than a toilet issue.

My Ride
    2005 F350

not necessarily a plumbling issue.

cheap toilets don't flush with any power so any solids can get stuck alot easier.

i would talk to some of the sales people at the home reno stores and see what they recommend.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Eat less fiber?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by buh_buh
    That sounds more like a plumbing issue than a toilet issue.
    Kind of have to agree with this - we put in a new toilet downstairs 4 years ago and had all sorts of flushing/plugging issues, we even went so far as to change out to another brand and that didn't fix the problem. Checked and made sure all of our vents were clear and eventually discovered the problem to be an unknown to us second flapper valve in the main sewer line which was stuck in a half way closed position which in turn was causing backups when one certain kid in the family was flushing wet ones. Only figured this out by having the city come and scope out our line just in case there were tree roots growing into our sewer line - scope showed where the problem was. Fixed the flapper valve and all is good. Have also heard from a few plumbers that venting issues can cause problems.

Moral of the story - beat the kids who are flushing things they shouldn't be and make them get in there and clean the crud out of the sewer line. Truthfully, make sure your vents are clear and if that isn't the problem, then start checking the sewer lines - if your showers/sinks don't drain properly (especially the downstairs ones), then you've probably got a bigger problem. If it's just the toilet, then it could be just the line going to your toilet or the toilet - was very frustrating to have a problem in our house that proved to be so difficult to find. I'd take the toilet off, snake the line, not find anything and everything work work good for a few weeks until my one kid decided that flushing a few more wet ones would be a good idea. Second flapper valve in our house really serves no function - just is part of the shit the comes with owning a 50+ year old house.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Eat less fiber?
    u mean more fibre.
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

Originally posted by SOAB
    not necessarily a plumbling issue.

cheap toilets don't flush with any power so any solids can get stuck alot easier.

i would talk to some of the sales people at the home reno stores and see what they recommend.
    Can't agree with this, after having the city in to scope our lines about 4 years ago and flushing a variety of stuff, I was really surprised to see that toilet paper and all of the organics that one flushes is pretty much just a liquid slush before it even gets out from beneath your home - actually is pretty much a liquid slush less than 10 feet away from the toilet. City guys said it's the things you shouldn't be flushing (wet ones, tampons, kleenex, etc) that foul up the system.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Toto Drake, from one of the proper plumbing places.

I put a cheaper American Standard from home depot in our spare bathroom - Cadet 3. Both work really well and hardly uses any water while still having a strong flush.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I'm super happy with my Toto Dual flush toilets that I got from Cindy, and the American Standard Dual Flush's as well. Never had a problem with anything backing up in them.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

I have two Kohler "complete solution" toilets (comes with seat & seal). They are low flush, and are better than anything else I've seen in a home. They are virtually impossible to plug. I can't imagine what you would have to do to plug these things, but massive amounts of TP/Paper Towel are no problem. One time I accidently dropped a huge ball of heavy paper towel I had used for cleaning the counters/mirror in it while it was flushing, and it just gobbled it up lol.

I paid $299 each at Home Depot.

I have massive turds and this toilet has always taken it down like a champ.

http://www.americanstandard.ca/produ....aspx?d=1&c=66

Not the cheapest but it will do the job.

EDIT: Forgot to say, you can get these at Home Depot. They're about $500 to $550 each.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Where are you guys getting your Toto toilets? I have one that was installed by the previous owner and I want to get the rest in the house changed over.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

http://www.amazon.com/MS950CG-11-Neo.../dp/B0015IXD6O

Got one at my place , pretty sure isn't what you are looking for, but you mentioned Toto so I posted it here

Originally posted by JDMMAN
    Where are you guys getting your Toto toilets? I have one that was installed by the previous owner and I want to get the rest in the house changed over.
    Benner plumbing carries Toto toilets, they are awesome toilets.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Holy shit (no pun intended...) there are some expensive toilets out there! I don't think I can justify 3 new toilets at $3000 each... they would have to be cheaper than that Looks like there are some good suggestions in here that might fit my price range though and I'll be checking into this all pretty shortly as I don't want to repair the ceiling until I get these toilets out of my house.

As for whether or not there is a plumbing issue, both toilets with issues are located less than 3 feet from the stack and the drain lines are properly sloped to the stack and are clear inside. I'm not sure how there could be any plumbing issue given this? There are 3 identical toilets in the house but one is only used by my 2 year old daughter so it doesn't really ever get tested at all so only 2 of them are giving us trouble. They are the cheapest of the cheapest builder spec toilets.

On an unrelated note, what would be a good price for having a stipple ceiling resprayed? It is about 450 square feet in total with 2 patches of about 15-20 square feet being water damaged. The ceiling continues into the kitchen so I would imagine that I need to scrape all the texture, drop the upper cabinets and have the entire area resprayed?
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Zero102

On an unrelated note, what would be a good price for having a stipple ceiling resprayed? It is about 450 square feet in total with 2 patches of about 15-20 square feet being water damaged. The ceiling continues into the kitchen so I would imagine that I need to scrape all the texture, drop the upper cabinets and have the entire area resprayed?
    Firstly, the stipple may contain asbestos, depending on age, so wear proper equipment if you're going to scrape. 2ndly DON'T put stipple back up, get knock-down instead (looks better, and sells better). 3rdly, can't say going rates, but I had my basement (approx. 700 sq.ft) done off the books for $1g by another Beyond member, I won't mention who, but I'm sure he'll chime in if he's still doing it. Worth every bloody penny too!
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by del-lude

Benner plumbing carries Toto toilets, they are awesome toilets.
    Wolsely Kitchen and Bath by the South side Costco. Ask for Cindy and tell her Jim sent you.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

My Toto Drake 3s were 225 and that includes a 45 dollar slow-close seat. I got them at Frontier over by Chinook.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

The house is 10 years old so there is no asbestos. Also, the other 1900 square feet still have stipple and i don't want to deal with re-texturing the entire house. I hate stipple too but I think I have to put it back. I was hoping to get away with $1-2/sq. ft. Sounds like that might be possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast