Quantcast
ERCB Interview - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ERCB Interview

Default ERCB Interview

Getting interviewed at ERCB in a few days. Curious about what people know about the organization and what can be expected at the interview. Another thread turned up that its the most hated organization by O&G companies, therefore whats the future after working there?

My Ride
    14 fit, 11 Ridgeline, 12 outlander

What position?
    Originally posted by Unknown303
    Everything makes me upset.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

reservoir engineer (fresh grad)

When I have to work with the ERCB, it leads to this

Although that is well operations. But I'm sure the reservoir side is no better.

But its a calgary job!!!!!

From my research, good benefits, good vacation time/flex days. Pay is somewhat competitive with industry but naturally a bit less. Again this is just what I heard, not personal experience.
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If all you care about is working in Calgary, then it's fine. if you want a future working at a producing company, you'd be far better off working three to five years in the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    If all you care about is working in Calgary, then it's fine. if you want a future working at a producing company, you'd be far better off working three to five years in the field.
    Doing what in the field? Wireline, mwd, frac? Is it not possible to transfer to a producer after working for ERCB?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Cement, Frac, MWD, Directional, wireline are some top choices. Simply working for a producer as a field engineer (production) can also be a good ticket.

It IS possible to go from ERCB to a producer. I know a very high manager that did exactly that as an engineer. However, now that I help out with the hiring, I would value someone with X years as a cement engineer vs working at ERCB.

ymmv.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '05 Wrx stage 2

Of course it's hated by industry, that would be like loving the shit out of your boss. No one likes the person that's telling them what they can/can't do.

Worked there 4 years ago. It's a solid place to work. People would leave all the time to go to industry. I was on the applications side so I can't speak directly to your position. Good benefits, holidays and their building is nice (Centennial).

My Ride
    ////M

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Simply working for a producer as a field engineer (production) can also be a good ticket.

Would definitely recommend going this route. Working for a service company will only teach you show much if you plan on working for an E&P.

Thanks for the insight. Extraslow you must live on this forum

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I do check the forum pretty often, it's my main source of entertainment.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Just quit the ERCB after 6 years, but I was in IT. I would never recommend the IT side of it at the moment (lets just say its full of CBE rejects that all got fired and ended up at the ERCB, in my opinion anyways) but the rest of the company is good. Good benefits, 2 flex days per month (that's 24 extra days off for a whole year), 3 weeks vacation start, 4 after 5 years, flexible start and end hours. The new building is nothing to write home about to be honest as there is only a handful of offices per floor, almost everyone gets to sit in a cubicle. All offices are on the inside without the windows and all cubicles are to the outside of the floor, this allows for greater natural light on the floor.

Any questions ERCB non position related I will most likely have an answer to.
    Last edited by eblend; 08-03-2012 at 06:28 PM.

My Ride
    G6

If you want a career pushing papers and eating government cheese, go for it. Otherwise, go work for a producer. They're the best place for a young engineer to learn. Also, the field will make a man out of you and you might actually enjoy it; I did. I'm in agreement with Extraslow; go do production in the field. You do that and your career horizons open up like nothing else. Time spent working at the ERCB = time wasted (strictly for an engineer mind you).

My Ride
    '11 Ram

I'm working for the Saskatchewan version of the ERCB, and I too started out in the field but as a cementing engineer. I didn't think the field would be so valuable at the time, but I'm beginning to see just how valuable it was.

And sure, some of your decisions may not be what the O&G companies want to hear and who cares - they should understand that you're just doing your job and 95% of the time they do.

Don't let a job with the ERCB frighten you away from future opportunities with O&G companies. As long as you become competent in your respective field - your gained knowledge is what your future interviewers will key in on. It may also be a great way to network with the industry as well.

I know for certain my position hasn't affected my future with O&G companies .

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

My friend from ERCB got fired (stupid boss, or so I am told) and she was able to find a job in like 2 weeks, O&G companies were calling her in like first day she was gone. Good way to network, good benefits, usually pretty relaxed, so isn't that bad, as long as it isn't IT in it's current state..
    Last edited by eblend; 08-03-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Originally posted by Feruk
    If you want a career pushing papers and eating government cheese, go for it. Otherwise, go work for a producer. They're the best place for a young engineer to learn. Also, the field will make a man out of you and you might actually enjoy it; I did. I'm in agreement with Extraslow; go do production in the field. You do that and your career horizons open up like nothing else. Time spent working at the ERCB = time wasted (strictly for an engineer mind you).
    Most definatly not time wasted. That is a dumb comment.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by lasimmon
    Most definatly not time wasted. That is a dumb comment.
    How so? Compared to other forms of experience (field production, completions, ect) where you're actually executing projects, how is the experience of pushing papers at the ERCB anywhere near as valuable? I'm not saying the experience is worthless, because it's certainly not, just that you'll get further ahead faster by working for a producer.

Originally posted by Feruk

How so? Compared to other forms of experience (field production, completions, ect) where you're actually executing projects, how is the experience of pushing papers at the ERCB anywhere near as valuable? I'm not saying the experience is worthless, because it's certainly not, just that you'll get further ahead faster by working for a producer.
    What I meant was you will learn things. Not every one gets a crack at a producer for their first job - not even as a field engineer.

There are many people who work into a position at a producer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast