Pressure Treated Deck Size? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Treated Deck Size?

My Ride
    Corolla XRS 2010

Default Pressure Treated Deck Size?

HI All,

I am not sure if my Installer is telling me the truth about this comment,

We want an 18' x 14' Deck, and he had selected Pressure Treated Wood and start working, but then he start saying,

The maximum size of the PT deck can be build is 16.10' x 14', so he can't do what we request.

I would just like to know, is there a such maximum size on the PT deck? Also, he is starting to work, and now is asking for more money to completed the work...

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

Default Re: Pressure Treated Deck Size?

Originally posted by CorollaXRS
    HI All,

I am not sure if my Installer is telling me the truth about this comment,

We want an 18' x 14' Deck, and he had selected Pressure Treated Wood and start working, but then he start saying,

The maximum size of the PT deck can be build is 16.10' x 14', so he can't do what we request.

I would just like to know, is there a such maximum size on the PT deck? Also, he is starting to work, and now is asking for more money to completed the work...
    You should be able to build any deck any size - before it's treated it's still just regular wood, and I've seen decks much bigger than 18'x14'. All it takes to make a bigger deck is larger framing members which will add to the bottom line. I'm speculating that your contractor quoted a little low and is now concerned he will not make any money on this project or end up losing money. Oh and if your contractor is already asking for more money already - fire him. Get rid of him quick as he will drag this out as long as possible and ask for more money over the course of the project.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Default Re: Re: Pressure Treated Deck Size?

Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV

You should be able to build any deck any size - before it's treated it's still just regular wood, and I've seen decks much bigger than 18'x14'. All it takes to make a bigger deck is larger framing members which will add to the bottom line. I'm speculating that your contractor quoted a little low and is now concerned he will not make any money on this project or end up losing money. Oh and if your contractor is already asking for more money already - fire him. Get rid of him quick as he will drag this out as long as possible and ask for more money over the course of the project.
    +1!!!

Fire him asap or you'll have to chase him down in court.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Typically 16' is the maximum length of 2x10, which is what you'd use for joists.

Do you want the deck to extend 18' from the house? Because that would be a lot more difficult than 16'.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This guy is a clown. If he didn't do the proper planning beforehand, that's a bad sign. If he can't afford to finsih the work without being paid in installments, that's a bad sign.

Fire this guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My pressure treated deck is 18x25

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-10-2019 at 04:03 PM.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by blitz
    Typically 16' is the maximum length of 2x10, which is what you'd use for joists.

Do you want the deck to extend 18' from the house? Because that would be a lot more difficult than 16'.
    2-16' joists = 32'.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

That's true, but it complicates the framing. If you're doing a 24 or 32' deck it's part of the game, but IMO it's not worth the hassle for an extra 2' to go to 18'.

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

Originally posted by blitz
    That's true, but it complicates the framing. If you're doing a 24 or 32' deck it's part of the game, but IMO it's not worth the hassle for an extra 2' to go to 18'.
    Which is why I think you are correct with your first post. Single beam with joist style framing which is why the contractor is only allowing for 16' deck max. in this case. I will totally agree with ExtraSlow in that this guy didn't even look at the design or home owner wishes before agreeing to do it. Now he's crying foul after the fact.

Default Re: Pressure Treated Deck Size?

He quoted a price for an 18'x14' deck and now he wants to charge more for a smaller one?

As others have said, fire him and find a company that knows what they're doing.

To be truthful as I know quite a bit about this.

You can max out on single 2x10's at 18 feet span off the deck nailer of the home.

You are allowed to let your joists span 16 feet and then another 2 feet for overhang off the main support beams.

So 18 feet is the MAX you could do using a standard 2x10x16 joist. For that span it has to be a 2x10 and nothing smaller.

So yes he's screwing you. Either he has limited deck building knowledge or he's just trying to squeeze you for more money.

My Ride
    Toyota

On a similar note.

Has anyone used any reputable companies to build a deck for their home?

Would appreciate some good references as I too am looking to hire someone to build a deck.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by dflamzer
    To be truthful as I know quite a bit about this.

You can max out on single 2x10's at 18 feet span off the deck nailer of the home.

You are allowed to let your joists span 16 feet and then another 2 feet for overhang off the main support beams.

So 18 feet is the MAX you could do using a standard 2x10x16 joist. For that span it has to be a 2x10 and nothing smaller.

So yes he's screwing you. Either he has limited deck building knowledge or he's just trying to squeeze you for more money.
    What about running a 20ft joist with multiple beams set at lets say 12ft then again at 18ft? That could also work.

You must have hired a general contractor and he probably doesn't know much about deck building because you can get all sorts of sizes that are larger then 16ft. It also sounds weird that he started building before you guys had a solid plan made up.

I personally have both cedar and treated 20ft boards in 5/4x6, 2x6, 2x8 and 2x10 in stock right now so he is definitely trying to pull some shit.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

Nah I've worked with a company that does decks year round and often the preference is single joist structures unless they are doing something exotic.

The second you start sistering joists together to increase the span you need to start putting in significantly more deck footings to make it work. Not saying it's not there but a lot of companies will prefer single joists as they can get that deck done a whole lot faster.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Nah I've worked with a company that does decks year round and often the preference is single joist structures unless they are doing something exotic.

No offense, but if you agree to build me an 18ft long deck, I don't give a fuck what's easier for you to build.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-10-2019 at 04:01 PM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Focus 4 does pretty good work from what I've seen; they built the fence for our neighbor and were one of the only ones to use metal brackets, where most don't use any at all. It also seems pretty darn solid, and I would imagine their decks are similar.

My only beef with them (and why they are not building my fence) is because my neighbor got their fence for $31/lf last fall and they insisted on charging me more. I asked them to reduce it just $1/lf to get closer to the $31 my neighbor paid and they refused and did not explain why it had to be more. I decided not to go with them on premise; the price would still have been on par with most other companies.

Originally posted by CapnCrunch

No offense, but if you agree to build me an 18ft long deck, I don't give a fuck what's easier for you to build.
    Oh you will care once you realize one method is going to cost you a lot more. and I mean a heck of a lot more as you are going to double the number of footings and then sister together every single joist. It will virtually increase the cost of your deck by at least 30% if not more.

Also if you want a good company, you can check out paradise landscape. They built our fence and did a wicked job for a good price.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Oh you will care once you realize one method is going to cost you a lot more. and I mean a heck of a lot more as you are going to double the number of footings and then sister together every single joist. It will virtually increase the cost of your deck by at least 30% if not more.

Also if you want a good company, you can check out paradise landscape. They built our fence and did a wicked job for a good price.
    If you followed this thread, a price was already agreed upon.

Are you saying it's ok to quote a price for an 18ft deck, then come back and ask for more money? Or even worse, assume I'm an idiot and say you can't build a pressure treated deck over 16ft?

This guy is a piece of trash, I'm not sure why you're defending him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast