Quantcast
Apple v. Samsung, who copied who? The court battle begins. - Page 18 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple v. Samsung, who copied who? The court battle begins.

My Ride
    Rear Wheel Drive

Wondered if the hearings were to take place in a country other than United States? Apple is an American Company.. and Samsung, is Korean. Interesting how the case took place on American soil...

I hate apple product
    <signature has not been setup>

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Their product is fine, actually a lot of their products are great, it's their fucking mentality I can't stand.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by star-k
    Wondered if the hearings were to take place in a country other than United States? Apple is an American Company.. and Samsung, is Korean. Interesting how the case took place on American soil...

I hate apple product
    There has been court cases in other countries. England, Netherlands, Germany, Australia, Korea. Apple has pretty much lost all off them. In Germany the Galaxy Tab 10.1 was banned. Australia it was banned for a month or so then over turned. The software patents were all thrown out in those countries however. Bravo Europe and Australia for common sense.

In S. Korea, both Apple and Samsung products have been banned. Although Apple took the brunt of that one.

The right isn't between Apple and Samsung. It's going to boil down to Apple vs Google. It's a fight Apple will lose and they will lose badly because they can't win.

All modern smart phone designs originated by copying ideas that were in the public domain starting with palm pilot organizers.

They'll start fighting over software and what it boils down to is xerox was the company to create the software interface that is used by every single company and its within the guise of the public domain and therefore no company has any right to anything.

If anything its a lame attempt by a company that is desperate to hold on to market share.

Maybe, just maybe if they would focus their efforts on making a superior product rather than trying to legally kill their competition they would have a little more success. Samsung will tie this up in appeals for the next 250 years.

My Ride
    Audi

The design issue I think is a lot more than 'patenting a rectangle with round corners'. The 'wilfull misconduct' part of the judgement implies that there was intent and the physical similarities of the devices was by design to be similar, and not by coincidence.

Originally posted by dflamzer
    The right isn't between Apple and Samsung. It's going to boil down to Apple vs Google. It's a fight Apple will lose and they will lose badly because they can't win.

All modern smart phone designs originated by copying ideas that were in the public domain starting with palm pilot organizers.

They'll start fighting over software and what it boils down to is xerox was the company to create the software interface that is used by every single company and its within the guise of the public domain and therefore no company has any right to anything.

If anything its a lame attempt by a company that is desperate to hold on to market share.

Maybe, just maybe if they would focus their efforts on making a superior product rather than trying to legally kill their competition they would have a little more success. Samsung will tie this up in appeals for the next 250 years.
    When it comes to the Android OS, I don't think it is going to be Apple vs. Google anytime soon. It will be much harder to go after Google than the handset manufacturers.

Apple can go after any handset manufacturer installing Android as the manufacturer has no ability to defend itself against intellectual infringement claims with respect to the Android OS, and because Google does not indemnify anyone who installs the OS from Intellectual Property claims. Essentially, installing Android OS is 'installer beware' when it comes to IP claims (amongst other things).

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

I think we all agree that samsungs claims against apple were pretty weak but this report says they have a lot of fire power when it comes to LTE if it is the new iPhone will come equipped with it. A suit against apples one and only product hurts a lot more than a suit against some of samsungs lineup.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/08/30/samsun...hone-targeted/

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If Apple releases a LTE phone without licensing the required patents, then they deserved to be sued. Samsung HAS to license the patents, can't say no to Apple. LTE is a standard, so Samsung has to license the patents fairly as they do with everyone else. Falls under FRAND. If some partners are getting it for free, Apple, and other Samsung competitors get it for free.

I'm certainly not an expert in patent laws, but seriously, some of these articles are spewing info that's not even close to being accurate in terms of basic understanding.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

This is a good article, although it's hilarious that you are the one linking to this as Nilay Patel, an actual licensed IP lawyer does believe Samsung copied Apple stuff and is seen in plenty of his articles and podcasts he has been on. His articles are top notch.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by Zephyr

This is a good article, although it's hilarious that you are the one linking to this as Nilay Patel, an actual licensed IP lawyer does believe Samsung copied Apple stuff and is seen in plenty of his articles and podcasts he has been on. His articles are top notch.
    What a loser.

My Ride
    Rear Wheel Drive

http://www.vancouversun.com/business...849/story.html

TOKYO — A Tokyo court on Friday dismissed Apple Inc.’s claim that Samsung had infringed on its patent — the latest ruling in the global legal battle over smartphones that pits the two technology titans against each other.

Samsung Electronics Co. of South Korea, the world’s largest maker of phones, welcomed the Tokyo District Court ruling that its technology to synchronize mobile players with computers did not infringe on Apple patents as confirming “our long-held position.”

“We will continue to offer highly innovative products to consumers, and continue our contributions toward the mobile industry’s development,” the company said in a statement.

The Apple lawyer present at the courthouse declined comment, and it was not immediately clear whether Apple would appeal.

In a session lasting a few minutes, Judge Tamotsu Shoji said he did not think Samsung products fell into the realm of Apple technology and dismissed the lawsuit, filed by Apple in August last year.

Apple, the Cupertino, California-based maker of the hit iPhone and iPad, is embroiled in similar legal squabbles around the world over whether Samsung smartphones, which relies on Google Inc.’s Android technology, illegally used Apple designs, ideas or technology.

In one such case, a jury in California ruled last week that Samsung products illegally used such Apple creations as the “bounce-back” feature when a user scrolls to an end image, and the ability to zoom text with a tap of a finger.

The jury awarded Apple $1 billion in damages, and a judge is now evaluating Apple’s request to have eight Samsung products pulled from shelves and banned from the U.S. market, including popular Galaxy model smartphones. Samsung’s latest hit, Galaxy S3, was not part of the U.S. ruling.

Friday’s ruling was the first held in Japan in the Samsung-Apple global court battle, but other technology is being contested by the two companies in separate legal cases in Japan

Apple products are extremely popular among Japanese consumers, but major Japanese carriers such as NTT DoCoMo sell Samsung smartphones as well. Japanese electronics maker Sony Corp. also makes smartphones similar to Samsung’s, using Android technology.

Samsung has sold more than 50 million Galaxy S and Galaxy S2 smartphones around the world. The legal battle also involves Samsung’s Tab device, which Apple claims infringes on patents related to the iPad tablet.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business...#ixzz258CFhcp6

Seems like they launched a counter suite in another country.. Very interesting how Apple seems to be picking fights. Microsoft doesn't like them, google, samsung. Man apple seems to have many business enemies.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

http://www.vancouversun.com/business...849/story.html

TOKYO — A Tokyo court on Friday dismissed Apple Inc.’s claim that Samsung had infringed on its patent — the latest ruling in the global legal battle over smartphones that pits the two technology titans against each other.

Samsung Electronics Co. of South Korea, the world’s largest maker of phones, welcomed the Tokyo District Court ruling that its technology to synchronize mobile players with computers did not infringe on Apple patents as confirming “our long-held position.”

“We will continue to offer highly innovative products to consumers, and continue our contributions toward the mobile industry’s development,” the company said in a statement.

The Apple lawyer present at the courthouse declined comment, and it was not immediately clear whether Apple would appeal.

In a session lasting a few minutes, Judge Tamotsu Shoji said he did not think Samsung products fell into the realm of Apple technology and dismissed the lawsuit, filed by Apple in August last year.

Apple, the Cupertino, California-based maker of the hit iPhone and iPad, is embroiled in similar legal squabbles around the world over whether Samsung smartphones, which relies on Google Inc.’s Android technology, illegally used Apple designs, ideas or technology.

In one such case, a jury in California ruled last week that Samsung products illegally used such Apple creations as the “bounce-back” feature when a user scrolls to an end image, and the ability to zoom text with a tap of a finger.

The jury awarded Apple $1 billion in damages, and a judge is now evaluating Apple’s request to have eight Samsung products pulled from shelves and banned from the U.S. market, including popular Galaxy model smartphones. Samsung’s latest hit, Galaxy S3, was not part of the U.S. ruling.

Friday’s ruling was the first held in Japan in the Samsung-Apple global court battle, but other technology is being contested by the two companies in separate legal cases in Japan

Apple products are extremely popular among Japanese consumers, but major Japanese carriers such as NTT DoCoMo sell Samsung smartphones as well. Japanese electronics maker Sony Corp. also makes smartphones similar to Samsung’s, using Android technology.

Samsung has sold more than 50 million Galaxy S and Galaxy S2 smartphones around the world. The legal battle also involves Samsung’s Tab device, which Apple claims infringes on patents related to the iPad tablet.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business...#ixzz258CFhcp6

Seems like they launched a counter suite in another country.. Very interesting how Apple seems to be picking fights. Microsoft doesn't like them, google, samsung. Man apple seems to have many business enemies.
    Yet people still claim Apple is defending it self. Bullshit. Its throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. All over the world. Nothing more, all in an attempt to stifle competition.
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 08-31-2012 at 07:56 AM.

My Ride
    Rear Wheel Drive

Rotten Apples. I can't express how much I dislike apple. Efff

My Ride
    Hatred

They've taken this to far and I think that knowledgeable consumers are going to see this as a Hail Mary which will drive most of us further from Apple products.

I can't wait for the iPhone 5 to come out though so that all those charging docks, speaker systems, and car connection kits have to be replaced.
    -U

...or there will be a small adaptor, and most devices will be unaffected.

Originally posted by atgilchrist
    ...or there will be a small, disproportionately expensive, adapter and most devices will be unaffected. I will buy twelve.
    FTFM

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Rotten Apples. I can't express how much I dislike apple. Efff
    Just wondering what they did to you or your family? Are you employed by Samsung? Not clear on what Apple has done to bring such misery to your life. Some of you in this thread are hilarious.

I doubt that anything with a dock will be unaffected without looking incredibly stupid.

My Ride
    Hatred

Talking

Sure. Like how a two year old speaker system I have works with our nano but won't work with my wife's 4s. And they even have the same connector.
    -U

Last edited by Cos; 01-02-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 ... LastLast