Quantcast
Apple v. Samsung, who copied who? The court battle begins. - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple v. Samsung, who copied who? The court battle begins.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Eleanor

As for the whole battle, is Apple being a bully? Yes, undoubtedly so; however as already mentioned, the real culprit is the US patent system. It's so broken in the tech world that anyone can sue anyone else for almost anything.
    It takes 2. Being the bitch ass scumbag trying to get a patent on something you KNOW you don't deserve, AND the patent office.

More Apple in this case. It's clear the patent is illegitimate, and THEY KNOW IT.

Reminds me of Tesla and radio. Not till after he died did they finally toss Marconi's BS patent.

My Ride
    You Crazy

The reason they haven't made bigger screens is because of one handed usage: http://gizmodo.com/5847981/this-is-w...s-be-35-inches
    LOL. well for anyone that is not a midget, life starts at 4.3 inches.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Originally posted by Toma

It takes 2. Being the bitch ass scumbag trying to get a patent on something you KNOW you don't deserve, AND the patent office.

More Apple in this case. It's clear the patent is illegitimate, and THEY KNOW IT.

Reminds me of Tesla and radio. Not till after he died did they finally toss Marconi's BS patent.
    It's not illegitimate. US patent office says it's fine. Just like rage mentioned earlier, anyone that uses 1 click buy has to pay Amazon, or Beserkercat posted a good example of a patent on a swing.

And now there are patent troll companies that just make up concepts and patent it. Proview case was a good example.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by rage2

There's lots of uninformed consumers out there, not everyone is a techno-nerd like we are. Best Buy complained that people were buying Samsung products and returning them because they thought they bought an iPad. That's evidence in the case.

Fact is, kid wants an iPad, grandma goes to buy it and gets a Samsung one thinking it's the same thing. Guarantee you it happens everyday.
    Thats just stupidity... and happens with other products too, its nothing to do with the way it looks. A tablet is a tablet. Its a rectangle with a screen. They probably bought it because it was cheaper and used that as an excuse. Apple should not even be allowed to use this in the case. How many parents buy a game for their kid for the wrong system.. same shit.
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 08-01-2012 at 06:36 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I dunno why I even try to get into a discussion with you zedge. If you truly believe that Samsung had no intention of copying Apple from start to finish, I dunno what to say.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Very few people build "their own" stuff anymore. Crack open any modern electronic device, how many names on the components inside match the name on the outside?
    The reason they haven't made bigger screens is because of one handed usage: http://gizmodo.com/5847981/this-is-w...s-be-35-inches

As for the whole battle, is Apple being a bully? Yes, undoubtedly so; however as already mentioned, the real culprit is the US patent system. It's so broken in the tech world that anyone can sue anyone else for almost anything.
    I agree about the US Patent system for being the real issue, but doesnt make me dislike Apple less for using it to their advantage. Also about the smaller screen, I disagree. Phones with bigger screens are selling like very well, the GS3 has sold 10 million already in two months. Over 50 million Galaxy S phones with 4 inch or bigger screens have been sold, not to mention millions of Galaxy Notes. And guess what? Apples next iphone will be 4 inches.. its obvious Apple realizes that people want bigger screens. Too bad Samsung didnt get a patent on 4 inch or bigger screens.. Now they will be saying 4 inches is the perfect size for one handed use etc etc blah blah. How quickly the tune will change..
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 08-01-2012 at 07:32 PM.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by rage2
    I dunno why I even try to get into a discussion with you zedge. If you truly believe that Samsung had no intention of copying Apple from start to finish, I dunno what to say.
    You did see the early prototypes of Samsung phones that were around before the iphone right? Who exactly is copying who? My issue is the patents Apple have acquired through a completely broken and fucked patent system are wrong, period.

People seem to be missing the bigger picture here, this could set a huge precedent for future patent suits. Do we want a world where one company has patents on fucking rectangles with screens, or charge cables that are shaped a certain way, or how simple things like hyper linking and searching content on your phone are done?

Open your eyes... Apple fanboy, Android fanboy, what ever. This shit is bad, PERIOD.

And I have been in the Samsung store in Metrotown, last week. It looks quite a bit different than an Apple store in my opinion. There is only so much you can do, its simplistic and clean, I don't think there is a patent on that.. but who fucking knows these days.
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 08-01-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Step back a bit and look at the whole situation from a general point of view. Ignore the whole patents issue. If you don't see a huge similarity between Samsung and Apple then there is no point having any discussion.

I personally think Samsung will win here, but that doesn't change my belief that Samsung copied many ideas from Apple.
    ---

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by kenny
    Step back a bit and look at the whole situation from a general point of view. Ignore the whole patents issue. If you don't see a huge similarity between Samsung and Apple then there is no point having any discussion.

I personally think Samsung will win here, but that doesn't change my belief that Samsung copied many ideas from Apple.
    I don't think I ever said Samsung have not taken design queues from Apple or other manufacturers for that matter. Just like Apple them selves have done. Its not the other companies that are trying to eliminate their competition through litigation though is it.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

I personally think Samsung did copy many elements from iOS. I have a galaxy the first thing I do is get rid of the touchwiz interface (because I can). But the second part of it is whether its illegal, I think Samsung ripped off apple just as much as Apple ripped off other technologies.

Also regardless of how this turns out this will be a loss for apple, android and its partners are way too nimble, whenever apple wins a ban the product quickly makes it back on the shelves. There is also way too many OEM's for apple to go after. And last its just plain bad PR, they're making way too many enemies both in the consumer world and in the corporate world.

I understand apple feels the need to protect its IP but its going to be an uphill battle.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Of course Samsung took design ques and ideas from Apple. Just like Apple took ideas from Palm, Palm from Nokia, etc, etc.

Should Nintendo sue Sony for making video game consoles? Nintendo did it before Sony did, so obviously they should have the market to themselves, even though they weren't the first to do it either.

All just sounds like a cop out from having to come up with new idea. Introducing the new iPhone 5, complete with the exact same features as the last one. $650

Originally posted by Unknown303

LOL at people with small hands. I have the SII and can touch anywhere on the screen with one hand.
    Same here with my S3

Originally posted by ZEDGE
    Open your eyes... Apple fanboy, Android fanboy, what ever. This shit is bad, PERIOD.

And I have been in the Samsung store in Metrotown, last week. It looks quite a bit different than an Apple store in my opinion. There is only so much you can do, its simplistic and clean, I don't think there is a patent on that.. but who fucking knows these days.
    I totally agree it'd be bad if Apple wins, but I don't think they will. I don't even think Apple thinks it will win, its just part of doing business in the world today.

Speaking of messed up patents, there is a patent on making toast. Bread refreshing method, patent issued just 12 years ago!

http://www.google.com/patents/US6080436
    ---

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

^ that is all I can do ... both platforms are based on Unix.

Android is a form of Linux (which uses Unix) .. and both are open source.

The apple UI's including the phones are a form of OS-x which are a derivative of Nextech ( another unix based system puchased by apple).

Edit ...
    If you want to see how the ubuntu linux os looks they have a 'live' web trial on the ubuntu web - its really cool - it feels just like the operating system.

http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/en/
    Last edited by alloroc; 08-01-2012 at 11:04 PM.

My Ride
    You Crazy

All this Samsung talk.....

Had to go into a wind store, and retire my trusty HTC HD2, and pick up a Samsung S3.... until they wouldn't sell me one, so bought a Nexus instead

Next to a New Iphone, the Nexus makes the I-phone look like a a ugly brick from the 80's. Especially with my nifty black/bright purple case

Day two in court:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/...asier-to-copy/

“Being inspired by a good product and seeking to make even better products is called competition,” Mr. Verhoeven said, referring to admission by Apple that it first looked to Sony for inspiration for its iPhone. “It’s not copying and it’s not infringing. Everybody does it in the commercial marketplace.” Apple has no right to claim a monopoly on a rectangle with a large screen,” he said.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Zephyr

The words iPhone, iPad are starting to be like Kleenex and Xerox. iPod is the same, when someone wants an mp3 player, they say "get an iPod".

These days when people think of tablets they think of iPads,

Are you high?

My Ride
    Silverado

I would agree with the ipod part. not sure much for the phone or tablet

And Samsung sues Apple: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...s-ordered.html

Do I think Apple is perfect? Of course not. But it is remarkable how much some people seem to hate the company, and accuse anyone who even has a passing positive thought about the company as a total sheep, to the point where they can't even look at a case like this with an unbiased viewpoint. Apple owns a patent, and it is their fudiciary duty to protect it to the extent the laws allow. Same as Samsung, same as anyone.

And considering the iPad owns over 70% of the tablet market, I would consider it a fair assessment to say that to most people iPad=tablet.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast