Quantcast
Apple v. Samsung, who copied who? The court battle begins. - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple v. Samsung, who copied who? The court battle begins.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by Unknown303
    LOL at people with small hands. I have the SII and can touch anywhere on the screen with one hand.
    You and a lot of other people, however Apple chose to do it one way and Samsung another. Design compromises
    Originally posted by Toma
    LOL. well for anyone that is not a midget, life starts at 4.3 inches.
    Really? We're just going to let this slide?
    It takes 2. Being the bitch ass scumbag trying to get a patent on something you KNOW you don't deserve, AND the patent office.

More Apple in this case. It's clear the patent is illegitimate, and THEY KNOW IT.
    The patent is completely legitimate in the eyes of the law and so Apple has every right to defend it. Just like everyone else who has a "BS" patent in tech and is suing everyone.
    Originally posted by ZEDGE
    Phones with bigger screens are selling like very well, the GS3 has sold 10 million already in two months. Over 50 million Galaxy S phones with 4 inch or bigger screens have been sold, not to mention millions of Galaxy Notes.
    Yep, they're selling extremely well. Obviously there is a market for larger screen phones.
    And guess what? Apples next iphone will be 4 inches.. its obvious Apple realizes that people want bigger screens. Too bad Samsung didnt get a patent on 4 inch or bigger screens.. Now they will be saying 4 inches is the perfect size for one handed use etc etc blah blah. How quickly the tune will change..
    Yep, it's called marketing and everyone does it, Apple just does it better than most.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Are you high?
    Why? He's not wrong. Most people outside our demographic and/or not tech savy can't tell the difference and use the words interchangeably. I see it on an almost daily basis with children or older people. Hell, people always refer to my eReader as a Kobo at least 3 times a week.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Are you high?
    Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Why? He's not wrong. Most people outside our demographic and/or not tech savy can't tell the difference and use the words interchangeably. I see it on an almost daily basis with children or older people. Hell, people always refer to my eReader as a Kobo at least 3 times a week.
    Truth 100%. I work part-time in the SW where there are a lot of old customers coming in and out. I get the "So what's the deal with these iPads everyone is going on about?" all the time and they're pointing to all the Android tablets.

I can imagine this happens everywhere.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by atgilchrist
    But it is remarkable how much some people seem to hate the company, and accuse anyone who even has a passing positive thought about the company as a total sheep, to the point where they can't even look at a case like this with an unbiased viewpoint.
    I find it hilarious that the Apple haters exhibit more sheep behavior than the Apple fanboys. The hate bandwagon is strong!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

eReaders are a great example, maybe there is an inbound lawsuit! I honestly haven't ever looked into getting one but I've heard of a few different types. If someone gave me a few with the brands covered, I wouldn't be able to pinpoint which is which.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by rage2

I find it hilarious that the Apple haters exhibit more sheep behavior than the Apple fanboys. The hate bandwagon is strong!
    Hahah I find it hilarious how much your stance on Apple products have changed over the years:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/11865/cra...-vs-pc-debate/
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/28490/the...rosoft-vs-pcs/
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/28969/oh-...dirty-secret-/

Granted, you probably haven't bought into OSX itself, but you made some pretty funny comments in the past about Apple haha

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

haha, I still hate Apple. But the iPhone/IPad hit it out of the park for me in terms of usability and convienence.

Still refuse to use a Mac! But I'm going to give it another shot. My boss wants me to learn it so I can support his Mac issues.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    You Crazy

The point here isn't that Apple is good at marketing.

It's the claim that Apple created something new and unique.

Which they didn't.

They took someone else's concept, and ideas, and ran with them, or improved them, or re-marketed them.

That they got a patent for rectangular thin phone form is dumb. That is for sure. BUT it makes Apple no less scummy than the corporations now trying to patent Ayurvedic folk medicine and treatments.

Scumbags, and morally dishonest. Very similar to the cities noise bylaw, they KNOW it's wrong and dishonest, but legally, they can get away with it. Does that make it right or less immoral?
    Last edited by Toma; 08-02-2012 at 10:02 AM.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Eleanor
    You and a lot of other people, however Apple chose to do it one way and Samsung another. Design compromises
    Really? We're just going to let this slide?
    The patent is completely legitimate in the eyes of the law and so Apple has every right to defend it. Just like everyone else who has a "BS" patent in tech and is suing everyone.
    Yep, they're selling extremely well. Obviously there is a market for larger screen phones.
    Yep, it's called marketing and everyone does it, Apple just does it better than most.
    The "marketing" is convincing people that a small screen is better, knowing it blatantly false.

Then, when they finally cave, they re-convince the previous sheep that whatever scree size they "-re-designed" is now better, with tons of market research and scientific reasoning as to why lol.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

The "marketing" is convincing people that a small screen is better, knowing it blatantly false.
    Do you honestly think Apple was going "Look at these idiots, they're all buying phones with a small screen, even though everyone knows a larger screen is better, mwah haha"?
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

So if my friend says he wants an Ipad for his birthday, and I go out and buy him a Blackberry playbook, you think most people would be cool with that?

You must deal with more people on the the lower end of the IQ scale that I do.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

The point here isn't that Apple is good at marketing.

It's the claim that Apple created something new and unique.

Which they didn't.

They took someone else's concept, and ideas, and ran with them, or improved them, or re-marketed them.

That they got a patent for rectangular thin phone form is dumb. That is for sure. BUT it makes Apple no less scummy than the corporations now trying to patent Ayurvedic folk medicine and treatments.

Scumbags, and morally dishonest. Very similar to the cities noise bylaw, they KNOW it's wrong and dishonest, but legally, they can get away with it. Does that make it right or less immoral?
    Legally, it's not wrong what they are doing. Business wise, it's a good thing they are doing. Ethically? That is all subjective.

Apple hasn't said they made anything new. They only said they changed the way a certain category is done. Before the iPad, we had huge laptops that had swivel screens and stylus. Those tablets weighed upwards to 9lbs! They all ran a desktop OS, and often was too expensive and clunky.

Now the iPad came out, Apple's idea on how the tablet should be done, and suddenly we have a lot of tablets again.

Same goes with the smart phone. Before the iPhone I had a Blackberry, I've been through two of them, and a Samsung Blackjack. The only touch screen phone at the time was the Treo, which was a massive phone. Everyone was on either RIM OS or Windows Mobile. No one had a true web browser. Suddenly the iPhone came out with a nice touch screen and a true web browser. That's when touch screen phones got popular again, so popular to the point even Blackberry made that horrid Storm phone.

They didn't make anything new, and haven't said that at all, but they did change the way certain products are perceived now.

Then, when they finally cave, they re-convince the previous sheep that whatever scree size they "-re-designed" is now better, with tons of market research and scientific reasoning as to why lol.
    How is saying a smaller screen is better is blatantly false? Every user has a different preference. I personally want a 4" screen on my iPhone, but I don't need a 5.3" screen like the Samsung Note. This is purely personal preference.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

And then size.... Apple screens are lagging in size.
    Originally posted by Unknown303

LOL at people with small hands. I have the SII and can touch anywhere on the screen with one hand.

LOL. well for anyone that is not a midget, life starts at 4.3 inches.
    Ermahgerd larger screens!!!

Samsung Galaxy SS4 has been leaked
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Think that's impressive? They also leaked Samsung Galaxy SSJ4
    click for larger version

They are also looking into Samsung Universe S1 prototype
    click for larger version

My Ride

So if my friend says he wants an Ipad for his birthday, and I go out and buy him a Blackberry playbook, you think most people would be cool with that?

If you don't get it, then you don't get it. And no, most people won't mistake a Playbook with an iPad. Try maybe a Samsung Galaxy Tablet, or even Asus Transformer.

If you worked a bit in retail, you know what exactly everyone here is talking about. A lot of people don't do their research before going out to buy a product and expect the "knowledgeable" salesperson to tell them everything.

http://www.complex.com/tech/2012/07/...ok-it-for-ipad

Think about how dumb the average person is. Half of those people are dumber.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Eleanor
    Do you honestly think Apple was going "Look at these idiots, they're all buying phones with a small screen, even though everyone knows a larger screen is better, mwah haha"?
    Of course they did lol. Long after the small screen became passe, they had to continue with it.

Do you think they were gonna say "gee, the small screen is shit, don't buy our stuff till we get with the times."? lol

My Ride

I believe your friend would ask you for a gift receipt and promptly return for an iPad. Playbook, gross.

My Ride

Originally posted by Disoblige

If you don't get it, then you don't get it. And no, most people won't mistake a Playbook with an iPad. Try maybe a Samsung Galaxy Tablet, or even Asus Transformer.

If you worked a bit in retail, you know what exactly everyone here is talking about. A lot of people don't do their research before going out to buy a product and expect the "knowledgeable" salesperson to tell them everything.

http://www.complex.com/tech/2012/07/...ok-it-for-ipad
    And that "knowledgeable" sales person, often will be told by management that they have too many Samsung tablets. Please sell those instead of iPads for this week. How do I know? Sadly, I use to work for Best Buy. And yes we've had employees that told customers that a Samsung Galaxy is just like an Apple device because we were either out of stock of the Apple product, or because corporate said Samsung has better margins.

Even when people buy gaming consoles, everything is an Xbox. PS3? Oh you mean an Xbox? Wii? Oh you mean an Xbox? Nintendo DS? That's too small to be an Xbox.

My Ride

Originally posted by Kg810
    Think that's impressive? They also leaked Samsung Galaxy SSJ4
    click for larger version
    LOL

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Zephyr

Legally, it's not wrong what they are doing. Business wise, it's a good thing they are doing. Ethically? That is all subjective.
    We'll see if it pans out legally, like I pointed out with Tesla/Marconi, there are many many instances where patents are overturned.

Apple hasn't said they made anything new. They only said they changed the way a certain category is done. Before the iPad, we had huge laptops that had swivel screens and stylus. Those tablets weighed upwards to 9lbs! They all ran a desktop OS, and often was too expensive and clunky.
    The general trend of all technology is smaller and lighter. Pretty well what everyone strives for. Of course, we are now seeing a rebound where phones hit wrist watch size, but are now getting bigger cause people use them as computers.

This isn't an apple idea, nor do I accept the assertion that they were the first to make it smaller and lighter or touch. We had a touch screen restaurant till/order system in the early 90's...

What apple is claiming they did is they took the concepts of the wheel, a moon roof, flush glass, gloss black, hidden windshield wiper blades.... and combined them all on one car, and now they deserve a medal for innovation.

This is exaclty like lotto numbers. You have 49 pre existing concepts (ideas), or numbers. Then you take various concepts or numbers, and combine 6 of them on one ticket. Are you a genius and deserve a patent or medal, or kudos for your "innovation"?

The only innovation I saw was the guy that said, man, a phone should be a computer, and a stopwatch, and a calculator, and a HD movie machine, and a game machine.... And that was already all in the works long before Apple jumped on board.

They didn't make anything new, and haven't said that at all, but they did change the way certain products are perceived now.
    There we have it. Marketing, not innovation.

How is saying a smaller screen is better is blatantly false? Every user has a different preference. I personally want a 4" screen on my iPhone, but I don't need a 5.3" screen like the Samsung Note. This is purely personal preference. [/B]
    Lets have a honest vote. If apple made both, Would ANYONE willingly chose 3.5" screen over a 4.3" Amoled?
    Last edited by Toma; 08-02-2012 at 10:38 AM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

No because a) you know what an iPad is and b) your friend knows what an iPad is. Read my post again. I'm talking about people outside of our ~18-40's, tech savy demographic. You clearly do not fit into that category. I have friends who gave their kids small, cheap tablets and their kids refer to them as iPads because of all the iPad commercials they see on tv. Do you think they can tell the difference between WiFi/3G/LTE, 7"/10" screens, iOS/Android, X/Y/Z processors, etc...? Fuck no. All they see is a device that plays Angry Birds like the one they see on tv.

Going back to Zephyr's original statement, how often have you used terms like Kleenex, Xerox, Skidoo, Thermos, or Rollerblades to refer to tissues, photocopiers, snowmobiles, flasks, and in-line skates? These are name brands that eventually got associated to the product by the general public due to its popularity.

Back when I used to be a big PDA user, everyone would ask me what I was using. Whenever I said "PDA", they wouldn't know what I was talking about until I started referring them to as "Palm Pilots". This is the same thing with iPads/iPods.

Actually, now that you mention it...

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast