Quantcast
Grocery shopping - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Grocery shopping

Originally posted by KrisYYC

Remember when the news would do those monthly comparison shoppings where they'd buy the same products at all the major chains? Safeway always came out the most expensive by a long shot. For the exact same stuff.
    As someone who has done market research into this before.... never believe those comparisons. Some stores are in the know about when those price comparison shoppers are coming in and lower prices just for that purpose. Next week... they will be back to normal.

Very poor source of information.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

I shop at Safeway simply because it is more convenient than Superstore and more....human if you know what I mean. Just pay attention to the color of the lighting in a Safeway vs Superstore next time.
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

Originally posted by arian_ma
    I shop at Safeway simply because it is more convenient than Superstore and more....human if you know what I mean. Just pay attention to the color of the lighting in a Safeway vs Superstore next time.
    Yeah, doesn't feel like you're buying stuff out of a warehouse that has bad produce/close to expired.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Superstore could be 1/2 the price of the others and you still couldn't get me to se tone foot in the store on Country Hills by the Hamptons. Worst shopping ecxperiences ever!
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    wrx wagon

I shop at Superstore on McLeod because the prices are much lower than anywhere else, including Costco.

I find Superstore has a much better produce selection than Safeway, and I've never had a problem with the quality. In fact I've found SS has many items that are of higher quality than Safeway/Coop (eg. bread items).

The only time I'll ever go to Safeway is if I just need 1 or 2 items and I don't want to drive all the way to Superstore.

Ugh. I hate Costco. Their selection is terrible and I have no need to buy 4 loaves of the same bread the every time. Nor do I want to buy 3 random jars of pasta sauce at once. I want the flavour I want and not have to take 2 jars of the stuff they can't sell alone.

I prefer having a good butcher, baker and go to Sobeys for the rest.

When it comes to buying food, price and quantity is pretty low on the priorities list.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Originally posted by arian_ma
    Whats the difference in lighting?

... i dont plan on walking into superstore to find out the difference haha

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by KrisYYC
    Even Safeway's club prices and sale prices can't beat Superstore. I honestly don't get how Safeway is still in business with the ridiculous prices they have. I don't care if their apples are stacked in a nice pyramid or if they have hardwood floors. That's not worth paying at least 30% more for everything.

Superstore FTW
    Superstore is only tolerable if I go there at early opening hours like 9am. Both Conventry and Country Hill Superstore are total garbage. Too many people, too messy and run out of stock too quick. Either the shoppers they get are garbage or they are just horribly ran. Probably a bit of both.

I like Superstore still not only it's cheaper, a lot of stuff is fresher due to higher turnover of products.

If I want high quality produce, I'll just make the drive to farmer's market.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-31-2012 at 03:08 PM.

My Ride
    V167

Shawnessy Superstore on the weekend........not a chance. Any weeknight though its always empty. Price can't be beat.

My Ride
    an econo box

Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC

As someone who has done market research into this before.... never believe those comparisons. Some stores are in the know about when those price comparison shoppers are coming in and lower prices just for that purpose. Next week... they will be back to normal.

Very poor source of information.
    You're probably right, however their findings were pretty much in line with my experiences shopping at both.

Originally posted by sputnik
    Ugh. I hate Costco. Their selection is terrible and I have no need to buy 4 loaves of the same bread the every time. Nor do I want to buy 3 random jars of pasta sauce at once. I want the flavour I want and not have to take 2 jars of the stuff they can't sell alone.

I prefer having a good butcher, baker and go to Sobeys for the rest.

When it comes to buying food, price and quantity is pretty low on the priorities list.
    I agree with you on Costco. Their selection sucks and is inconsistent. It's not really that cheap anyway.

I'm surprised people actually care about a stores lighting and using that to justify paying more You're grocery shopping not going to a spa.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-10-2019 at 04:03 PM.

My Ride
    '03 ep3

Superstore is jam packed with immigrants and the stores are fucking dirty all the time.

My Ride
    an econo box

Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
    Superstore is jam packed with immigrants and the stores are fucking dirty all the time.
    Not in the South

But if it's packed with immigrants that should tell you something: Superstore is cheaper.

Originally posted by swak

Whats the difference in lighting?

... i dont plan on walking into superstore to find out the difference haha
    One has the cold "white" lighting that you would see in a warehouse, and the other has a warm yellow glow which you would expect in your living room.
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Default Re: Grocery shopping

Originally posted by chibwack
    So I'm aware that Safeway offers 10% off your purchase on the first Tuesday of any month, does any of the other grocery stores offer a similar deal? I've been "shopping smart" lately and its surprisingly satisfying when you add up the savings and realize you've paid for a generous night out. Gotta keep up the habit!
    Yes, every other grocery store in existence, Safeway is overpriced by at least 10%. However I still shop there exclusively, because of the lack of foreigners, when people bump into you they actually look at you and apologize.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

It's actually very interesting to read about why people shop where they do. I thought it'd be all about price, or convenience, but apparently there's a lot more to it.

In terms of price, Superstore and Costco are the cheapest on average. If you ever compare prices on a few items you consistently get (for example, Classico pasta sauce), you'll see that Safeway, Co-op and Sobey's all gouge you. Walmart and Superstore usually have much better prices...when you buy a bunch of things, it all adds up.

I usually get my groceries on a weeknight, so I don't have the issues some of you are talking about. Again, very interesting.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Not in the south and one store in the north. You have to guess because I ain't telling.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Somehow I just pictured this...

My Ride
    Accord

Default Re: Re: Grocery shopping

Originally posted by Mar

Yes, every other grocery store in existence, Safeway is overpriced by at least 10%. However I still shop there exclusively, because of the lack of foreigners, when people bump into you they actually look at you and apologize.
    Or smell like curry for that matter

I know coop is more... but a combination of lack of rude people, short lines, and the fact that I get a decent amount on my refund cheque at the end of the year makes it MORE than worth it for me.

Dead honest... you could give me my groceries for free and I still would not go to superstore near the Hamptons on a weekend. That place is full of scum.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast