Quantcast
Grocery shopping - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Grocery shopping

My Ride
    Accord

Default Grocery shopping

So I'm aware that Safeway offers 10% off your purchase on the first Tuesday of any month, does any of the other grocery stores offer a similar deal? I've been "shopping smart" lately and its surprisingly satisfying when you add up the savings and realize you've paid for a generous night out. Gotta keep up the habit!

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

My buddy told me Safeway also have 5 dollar deals every Friday too.

I moved and don't really shop at Safeway any more, but back when I did, I would actually go out of my way to avoid Safeway on those days. too busy for me.

My Ride
    1.8T

No frills usually has some pretty good deals, especially there 1 dollar days!
    1994 Acura Integra LS (write off)
    1995 Acura Integra GSR (sold)
    1999 Honda Civic SIR (sold)
    1999 Volkswagen Passat 1.8t (DD)

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Im a Co-op kinda guy.

Would far rather spend the extra .10 on my groceries than deal with the havoc of superstore etc...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

My experience with SuperStore is mostly positive. I shop exclusively at the DF meadows location, and I go after 8pm on weeknights. Why bother with the rush of the weekend shoppers?

Most of the time I buy over 200$ in groceries at once - this gets me numerous free items and giveaways (eg free turkey, blueberries, etc.)

I also pay with my PC financial MC, which doubles my points. So with this, every 4th ~200$ purchase or so I end up with about 40$ taken right off the till. Thats good return in my books.

My Ride
    1985/1986/1988 4runner

On a side note, one way to save on groceries is to not buy foo you're going to throw away. Make a weekly meal plan and buy your groceries accordingly (make a list and stick to it). Also, try to keep of what you have in your freezer and cupboards and plans your meals to include an item from each. This way you don't stockpile food. The wife and I do this and we throw very little food away.

My Ride
    z32 TT

i used to go to safeway, then i started at co-op, then back and forth, then superstore for a while seemed ok, then i went to ..
    COSTCO
    summary: eff yes

caution: never go to costco on a sat/sun it's just not worth it, go on a tuesday after work or something, it rules

ok, so the most common complaint i hear about costco is that it's expensive.. umm no, those people are horrible at math.

yes, the pasta noodles i bought cost me $8 instead of $4, but i'm getting 4x as much and it's 'smart pasta' (supposed to be better for you, vitamins and crap in it)

yes the advil was $12 on sale, but it was for 100 pills instead of $6 for 20 at safeway

like Montreal Steak spice? i do.. it's $7 at safeway for a shaker, or $10 at costco for one 5x the size

the only thing i don't have any luck with at costco is bananas, they go bad quick for some reason, everything else has been bang on

costs me about $40 a year i think for a membership, worth every penny, PLUS they have a LIQUOR STORE now at Heritage costco, i can get a 40 of rye for $24 or a 24 of coronas for $35, etc
    JDM Powrrrr !

My Ride
    z32 TT

oh, and for the little things that costco doesn't have, or you want to mix it up a bit, try walmart for some groceries, cans, dried goods whatever, you'd be surprised if you've never compared prices
    JDM Powrrrr !

My Ride
    Silverado

just an FYI, you don't need to be a costco member to use the liquor store.

My Ride
    z32 TT

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    correct! it's great, just don't expect to pay with a MasterCard debit/amex only i believe

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    Im so there

My Ride
    Exploded.

Costco is awesome for non-perishable and meat! SO CHEAP!

Vegetables and fruit can be compared elsewhere.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-10-2019 at 04:03 PM.

My Ride
    Accord

Originally posted by revelations

Im so there
    Whoa, I was just going to go stock up my minibar too. Shit yes!

Costco's meat is amazing. I load up on ribs when I go there. (going tonight actually...)

For local stuff or regular shopping trips, I do safeway just because it's less of a hassle to go to.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    an econo box

Even Safeway's club prices and sale prices can't beat Superstore. I honestly don't get how Safeway is still in business with the ridiculous prices they have. I don't care if their apples are stacked in a nice pyramid or if they have hardwood floors. That's not worth paying at least 30% more for everything.

Superstore FTW

Originally posted by KrisYYC
    Even Safeway's club prices and sale prices can't beat Superstore. I honestly don't get how Safeway is still in business with the ridiculous prices they have. I don't care if their apples are stacked in a nice pyramid or if they have hardwood floors. That's not worth paying at least 30% more for everything.

Superstore FTW
    Spending the extra bit of money and not having to deal with the re-re's in the parking lot and inside the store is enough of a reason for me to never step foot in a superstore. I don't like to go in the late evenings either when it's quieter since all the good produce is picked through.

When I did go to superstore and buy the same load of groceries that I did at safeway, the difference was MAYBE 10% in savings... not 30%.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    an econo box

I go to Southland Superstore and it's not bad at all. I've done the price comparisons in minute detail. If you're mostly buying just produce and meat then the prices difference isn't much as you said. However a large mixed shopping the price difference rises dramatically.

Remember when the news would do those monthly comparison shoppings where they'd buy the same products at all the major chains? Safeway always came out the most expensive by a long shot. For the exact same stuff.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    half the stuff she picked out was expired, and they confiscated some of it at the till because it had been recalled.
    I do 95% of my grocery shopping at Deerfoot Meadows Wally World, and I've never experienced these types of issues. Sometimes they don't have the freshest produce, but in those cases I can just swing by the Sobeys on my way home.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast