Quantcast
Telus Optik internet limits availability of the 25mbps down plan? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Telus Optik internet limits availability of the 25mbps down plan?

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic

Default Telus Optik internet limits availability of the 25mbps down plan?

Just like the title says, I called Telus and asked to upgrade our 15mbs internet speed to the 25mbps plan as me and my girlfriend run our businesses out of the house and require a faster connection. I was told by their rep that they limit the number of 25mbps accounts in New Brighton and that I would have to call back in a month or two and see if any 'spots' open up. That sounds like bs to me. Anyone else have the same problem?

Our two year contract is up in October/November and I would happily switch to Shaw if they cant help us.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

25mbps runs off VDSL. Telus is in the middle of upgrading all of their equipment to handle VDSL and has a limited number of ports to tie people in. Once the ports fill up, they have to wait for someone to cancel their service, or add additional capacity, which they are working towards. So it is not BS, just call them weekly and keep asking, eventually a port will be available.

LOL, 25mbps is serious business for Telus. You can only go so fast when your internet backbone is still using Morse code technology.

My Ride

Thumbs down

Originally posted by wtf im nameless
    LOL, 25mbps is serious business for Telus. You can only go so fast when your internet backbone is still using Morse code technology.
    Hum...telus has a fiber backbone, I guess the light pulses can be interpreted as Morse code...... their problem is the last 100M to the home, which is copper for most of the population. Those who are lucky enough will have fiber to their home (I have it in mine....but Telus doesn't have the equipment upgraded in the box down the street to tie me in yet). Using VDSL2 there is a theoretical magimum of 250mbps, which they are not pushing anywhere near, as well being it is syncronus, therefore you could have the same speed up and down, but that isn't the case at the moment. So the limit for telus is the fact that there are hundred years of twisted copper installations all over the place, and they have to provide the service over what they got. I have been a shaw customer forever about 2 years ago and switched over to telus after being pissed off with internet cutting out frmo shaw every few days, aside from a few glitches here and there, its been rock solid for 2 years now...can't complain

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Even though I want Shaw 50 or 100 or whatever, I am sticking with TELUS as their service is rock solid. 25mbps is plenty anyway.

haha, I wish I still had friends working at TELUS, maybe they could uncap it.

Wonder if they are ever going to offer 50 or 100 for Fiber customers.

Shit routers and inconsistency in my neighborhood kills Shaw for me.

Better ui and ability to use Xbox as TV are just gravy.

I'm with Benyl on 25mbps being enough.

My Ride
    Sentra

Ya same here. Sure I could theoretically get faster speed from Shaw, but that was the problem, it never happened in practice.

I am lucky enough to be on Telus fiber right now, but it's still only 25Mbps of course.

I did speak with a nice chatty lady in the GPON department many weeks ago, and yes there are plans to roll out faster service. I think she said fall, so won't see anything just yet.

Here's hoping to 50+Mbps on fiber, and I hope some decent upload speed, at least 5Mbps.

I am really hoping Telus upgrades my area soon. Shaw is so damn inconsistent... I just need something decently quick to switch to and I am gone!
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

Originally posted by eblend

Hum...telus has a fiber backbone, I guess the light pulses can be interpreted as Morse code...... their problem is the last 100M to the home, which is copper for most of the population. Those who are lucky enough will have fiber to their home (I have it in mine....but Telus doesn't have the equipment upgraded in the box down the street to tie me in yet). Using VDSL2 there is a theoretical magimum of 250mbps, which they are not pushing anywhere near, as well being it is syncronus, therefore you could have the same speed up and down, but that isn't the case at the moment. So the limit for telus is the fact that there are hundred years of twisted copper installations all over the place, and they have to provide the service over what they got. I have been a shaw customer forever about 2 years ago and switched over to telus after being pissed off with internet cutting out frmo shaw every few days, aside from a few glitches here and there, its been rock solid for 2 years now...can't complain
    I'm was being sarcastic, I have Telus fiber to my house and the fastest I can get is 25mb down or 1/4 of what I'm currently getting from Shaw. Once they figure out how to send data through fiber as fast as Shaw can through coax I'll be glad to switch back.

Originally posted by GoChris
    Ya same here. Sure I could theoretically get faster speed from Shaw, but that was the problem, it never happened in practice.

I am lucky enough to be on Telus fiber right now, but it's still only 25Mbps of course.

I did speak with a nice chatty lady in the GPON department many weeks ago, and yes there are plans to roll out faster service. I think she said fall, so won't see anything just yet.

Here's hoping to 50+Mbps on fiber, and I hope some decent upload speed, at least 5Mbps.
    Glad to hear. I'm on Shaw 100 and rarely get less than 75 down even at peak times, during non-peak times I can almost always get 100.

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic

I Guess I'm stuck to calling them weekly then. 15 seems so primitive, oh well...

Did you tell them "Our two year contract is up in October/November and I would happily switch to Shaw if they cant help us."

Tell them you want to be upgraded or you will walk (pay early termination fees) in as soon as SHAW can get you up and running. Worth a shot.

I am on Telus Optik 25mbps, switched from Shaw well over a year ago. Never had a down minute on the internet, unlike Shaw where it was jamming up my online poker playing every night. Very spotty service was my Shaw experience.

My Ride

I don't think threatening to leave telus going to help him, it is a physical limitation of available ports, but hell worth a shot, perhaps they can give you some sort of a credit on existing service until you can get the 25mbps. The biggest thing I noticed with 25mbps service is much improved upload, up to 3mbps, made uploading all my pics to smug mug that much faster

My Ride
    Grimace

If you are having so many issues I would just switch to shaw
    I have not had any speed issues with them since like 2003 and that was in my parents old neighbourhood and now I am in a new neighbourhood. I am on BB50 and always get at least 40+mbps which maxes out at about 6MB/s and around 3mbps upload

My Ride

Originally posted by schocker
    If you are having so many issues I would just switch to shaw
    I have not had any speed issues with them since like 2003 and that was in my parents old neighbourhood and now I am in a new neighbourhood. I am on BB50 and always get at least 40+mbps which maxes out at about 6MB/s and around 3mbps upload
    Some people have mad stability issues with Shaw (myself included after nearly 12 years with Shaw..) and are rock solid with Telus, that may be the reason they don't want to switch. I switched myself while my wife was in school and had to do alot of quizes online, and when our Shaw internet used to drop randomly....we were never sure if it would drop out middle of an online test, which can't be retaken and is for marks...so that was a reason why we switched and haven't looked back. Like seriously, your pages won't load any faster having 50mbps or 25mbps, or if they do, whatever a split second don't matter. Sure you can download your stuff faster with 50mbps...but are you really in that much of a hurry to get that movie? 20 min vs 35 min isn't the end of the day, when I at least know I will have my internet alot more reliably than I did with Shaw (at both my and my parent's house by the way, Evergreen and Braeside)

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by eblend
    Snip
    I am not trying to say that others don't have issues with shaw as I know some people would have had issues with either ISP. If he has never tried it or lives in a newer neighbourhood though it could be worth trying. I would never switch to anything slower than 50 mbps now though as I do a lot of downloading and the speed is awesome though it is fast enough that I haven't tried out BB100. But my internet was always stable in silver springs which is kind of old like 40ish years old and now in sage hill it is the same from my experience. I know that other areas could be more saturated and result in a worse experience.

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

Originally posted by GoChris

My wife is a telus employee and we are on an employee trial for tv and internet that is considerably faster than the 25mbps. It should be rolling out for customers in October. All I can say is the speed is great and the ping is always below 4ms wireless. We have fiber to our house.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Nice. Can't wait.

Originally posted by YamahaV8
    the ping is always below 4ms wireless.
    lolwut.

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by YamahaV8

My wife is a telus employee and we are on an employee trial for tv and internet that is considerably faster than the 25mbps. It should be rolling out for customers in October. All I can say is the speed is great and the ping is always below 4ms wireless. We have fiber to our house.
    What area of the city are you in? Hopefully that won't matter and everyone with fiber at least can sign up for the new speeds. As long as it's not more expensive than Shaw I'll be upgrading.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast