Quantcast
Telus Optik internet limits availability of the 25mbps down plan? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Telus Optik internet limits availability of the 25mbps down plan?

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

Originally posted by GoChris

What area of the city are you in? Hopefully that won't matter and everyone with fiber at least can sign up for the new speeds. As long as it's not more expensive than Shaw I'll be upgrading.
    I'm in Panorama. This service will only be available to homes with fiber to the house. I know they are trying to figure out a way to improve the speed to older homes without fiber.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

so what are VDSL customers getting for upload?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

funny enough, I just ran into the same problems with my move into the new place, and I can't transfer my services over with TELUS due to lack of ports, and I am a TELUS employee...

So now I have to figure out another option. Is there anyone in shaw that I can contact that can at least try and build me a plan that is similar to the one I have at TELUS, and at least try and get CLOSE to what I am currently paying?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Sentra

^^ Oh shit that sucks! I imagine as an employee you could get bumped up the list though at least?

spikers, PM anarchy on here. Can't guarantee that he can help you, but I know he'll try.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by spikers
    funny enough, I just ran into the same problems with my move into the new place, and I can't transfer my services over with TELUS due to lack of ports, and I am a TELUS employee...

So now I have to figure out another option. Is there anyone in shaw that I can contact that can at least try and build me a plan that is similar to the one I have at TELUS, and at least try and get CLOSE to what I am currently paying?
    Abuse your power, just go into the system with some testing account that has the privilages (so as to not tie it back to you) and deactivate someone's service (as long as it isn't in evergreen haha)

Originally posted by YamahaV8

I'm in Panorama. This service will only be available to homes with fiber to the house. I know they are trying to figure out a way to improve the speed to older homes without fiber.
    All depends on dB loss over copper lines. My house is still on copper (I'm in Beddington) and I have the 25mbps internet.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

How is their internet service in Crescent Heights? Thinking about getting their Optik TV and internet bundle - expires tomorrow.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

Originally posted by Spoons

All depends on dB loss over copper lines. My house is still on copper (I'm in Beddington) and I have the 25mbps internet.
    Not talking about the 25mbps. I'm talking about the new service they will release in October which will be at least double the speed for fiber houses. They are trying to bring up the speed from 25mbps on copper wired houses as well.

Originally posted by msommers
    How is their internet service in Crescent Heights? Thinking about getting their Optik TV and internet bundle - expires tomorrow.
    Do you have a homephone? If so you'd be a winback client and you're eligible for different (and better) deals.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Darn, I don't. Just use my cell for everything.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic

My wife is a telus employee and we are on an employee trial for tv and internet that is considerably faster than the 25mbps. It should be rolling out for customers in October. All I can say is the speed is great and the ping is always below 4ms wireless. We have fiber to our house.
    More details?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

All I can say is the speed is great and the ping is always below 4ms wireless. We have fiber to our house.

Originally posted by Mibz
    lolwut.

Where can I getz this 4ms ping wifi connection? 802.11z connection?

My Ride
    Sentra

I just picked an optik thread to bump...

but perhaps they are getting in place the tools to track usage now?

Total used 413.54 GB

Just noticed this and looks like they've been doing it the past couple months almost.

Not worried yet though as I have no limits.

Usage limit 0.00 GB

Yikes!

579 GB so far on this billing cycle

My Ride
    Civic

Right now there is a huge push for telus to get as many customers changed over or signed up on fiber network. Once they have a level amount of customers available for speed upgrades Telus will release faster speeds.

Smart Marketing really, why release faster speeds to a low number of customers. Most people on 25mb Fiber to house GPON set up are getting faster speeds then they think day to day. like everything they have to test the options first.

Within the next 5 years fiber to the house should be available to every home, aerial or buried areas similar to the east coast and Bell Alliant. If you live in an older area closer to inner city for example where all the service lines come off the pole you have either noticed or will notice Telus employees stringing up fiber lines throughout the nieghborhood on the poles.

As far as a few posts i read about Fiber speeds compared to Coax speeds, google is your friend, there is nothing (coax, copper) that can even come close in comparison to the speeds of data transfer through fiber. There is a reason fiber is strung around the world and not coax.

If you live in any new areas, there is fiber to your house already. if you are currently hooked up on copper and if you dont call into telus to be changed over they will be calling you, as they want to increase their fiber network.

Personally i have fiber to my house and would never change to anything else. I only have 25 mb and for me its good enough for now. I know there are people out there who do alot of work with networking etc who need the faster speeds, dont worry it will be coming. And honestly ill take 25mb to my computer over 250mb of shared lines through my nieghborhood.

Hope that helps some of the questions!
    Last edited by jumperman8; 09-25-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    C-23-H

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2