Quantcast
Will this kill my car sale? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will this kill my car sale?

My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T Daytona

Unhappy Will this kill my car sale?

I bought my vehicle just last year and was led to believe that there were no accidents or claims on it. Probably should have ran a report just to be safe.

Now I'm selling the vehicle and I just ran a CarProof report on it and...

Accident Records - This vehicle has 2 record(s)

Claims Records
    Incident Date 05/13/2010
    Incident Type Damage Claim
    Category Collision - Vehicle
    Damage Amount $0

Accident Estimate Data
    Incident Date 05/13/2010
    Incident Type Repair Estimate
    Point Of Impact Right Front Corner
    Damage Amount $3,121.40

I assume it was just a rear-ender or something like it - can't tell from looking at it that it was repaired but I do not have a well trained eye. Do I have to disclose this information to potential buyers now? If asked, I wouldn't feel comfortable not being honest - but I have no idea what happened to the vehicle.

Is $3121.40 considered significant damage? Should I be worried that this is going to kill my chances at selling my vehicle for a fair price?

Crystal

My Ride
    FB6

What kind of car is it?

On a newer car, $3000 isn't that much damage. A bumper, fender and headlight would easily add up to that much.

My Ride

It's a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona. It's a limited edition paint colour so maybe repainting everything cost extra?
    Crystal

My Ride
    05 Civic

I wouldnt consider that major damage, probably just a fender bender. To put in my experience, I was invovled in a fender bender a couple years ago, I can't remember what parts got replaced (not a whole lot) and with no major damage, it was ~$4000.

I would not worry too much, if they ask, just tell them it was a minor fender bender and no major damage.

I would suggest getting a carproof next time you buy a used car though.

Edit: Car was an 05 civic

Edit 2: Carproof > Carfax
    Last edited by -relk-; 08-02-2012 at 08:32 AM.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

$3k damage is nothing really. If you scrap up against a pole at a parkade (causing light body damage) then thats about $3k right there.
    It adds up very quickly. I'd be more concerned with what kind of job they did, if it was a "Bash & Slash bodywork special" or if it was done correctly.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride

I've learned my lesson - $35 is peanuts, I'll never buy a used vehicle without getting a report again!

I'm hoping it's nothing serious. I'll take a closer look at the front end but neither myself or anybody I know has noticed anything unusual so it seems to be a pretty solid repair.

I appreciate the reassurance! Fingers crossed that this won't knock too much off of my sale price.
    Crystal

Just be honest and upfront about it if they ask. If you tell them the situation and how you find out yourself just recently, chances are the potential buyer won't mind. Especially if you willingly tell them upfront. Rather than say you don't know and when they do their own carproof/fax and find out about the damage. They may not necessarily find you trustworthy even if you really didn't know.

Like others have said, $3000 is really nothing especially for such a new car, painting a fender and replacing a headlight can easily cost that much depending on the shop.

My Ride
    BMW

3000 hit is nothing....

My Ride
    Spaceship

Well if the status is not rebuilt I wouldn't even bother mentioning the fact. There is an old saying that goes "ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies"

Originally posted by -relk-

I would suggest getting a carfax next time you buy a used car though.
    don't get a carfax they are useless, get a carproof report.

To be honest OP if the buyer doesn't do their homework that is their problem. Being an honest person myself I don't think I could not tell someone who was about to drop their hard earned cash on my car but it is a buyer beware market.

The last used car I bought the PO was great in explaining what damage he knew about and all the repairs he had done and was 100% open as far as I know. I appreciated that, but I also did my homework going into the sale so I wasn't surprised at anything he told me.

edit: as mentioned by others that isn't a heck of a lot of damage so no i don't think it would kill the sale
    Last edited by J-hop; 08-01-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Hey guys kinda off topic, Lets say you got into a car accident and claim insurance. How long would it take for it to show up in the Carproof report etc? Someone told me it can take 3 to 6 months.. Is that true?

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

If anyone asks if it's been in an accident, just tell them what you know. But yeah, for a newer car like that, not much $ so I doubt it was anything too serious, which shouldn't scare a buyer away.

My Ride

You are over reacting just a little. Like said before, unless it has a branded title it should not diminish the value of the car. The car was fixed properly trough insurance. Also $3k is nothing really, take note this picture of when I got rear ended 2 months ago, the damage is mostly to the bumper which had to be repaired (not replaced) and I have gotten 3 body shop estimates for $2000-2200...

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride

Haha yes, didn't do my homework and now it's my problem. But I will do as advised and give that information if asked.

I've never had to do bodywork on a vehicle before and really had no clue about the costs.

$2000+ seems like a lot for a few scrapes, euro_racer! At least it's on their insurance, not yours!
    Crystal

Worried about $3k in damages? That's fuck all.

My SUV:

Accident 1 - my fault, rear ended hot chick. Did $1700 damage on her and $1700 damage on mine, just a scratched bumper, no cuts or cracks. This just to have both refinished.

Accident 2 - other parties fault. Got side swiped, damge from front end to rear end. $17000.

Accident 3 - other parties fault. Side swiped again, damge on just freshly repaired < 2 months ago from accident above - $3k passenger front and rear doors need to be repaired.

Now I'm gonna have probs reselling this vehicle hahaha. You, you're fine

Originally posted by Crystalrw
    Haha yes, didn't do my homework and now it's my problem. But I will do as advised and give that information if asked.

I've never had to do bodywork on a vehicle before and really had no clue about the costs.

$2000+ seems like a lot for a few scrapes, euro_racer! At least it's on their insurance, not yours!
    some prick hit me in a parking lot last year, 1 panel = $2300, the panel itself was probably only a couple hundred of that, autobody work ain't cheap!

My Ride
    DA6, R59

Its not purple is it? If it is, this is what might of happened... lol

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/its-got-...=&pagenumber=1

My Ride

LOL. My heart stopped when you asked if it was purple, and it is, and then I saw the pictures. Poor bastards.
    Crystal

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

That sounds like cosmetic damage. On a newer car like that, $3200 is not that much.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Unless I know for a fact a vehicle has not had any claims against it or it is salvage, I don't bring up accident history with a potential buyer unless he/she asks. (Which many do)

The history on this car appears to be negligible, and I agree - it really shouldn't keep someone from buying it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast