Quantcast
Who is the worst employer you have ever had? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who is the worst employer you have ever had?

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Default Who is the worst employer you have ever had?

Like the title says ... who or what is the worst company you have worked for.

For me based on my experiences .. the worst company to work for is ...

Scott Springfield Mfg. Inc.

no reason as to why they are the worst company you worked for?

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Do not drag any employer through the mud online, past or present.

Recommend changing title to "Worst job you've ever had"

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Originally posted by EK69
    no reason as to why they are the worst company you worked for?
    I think Troll_OL spent a short time there perhaps he can elaborate unfortunately all I can say is that I did not have a positive experience. ....

Unfortunately the 'jobs' there can be great .. I am with another employer doing the same work and loving it. So ... its not the job it most definitely is the employer ;P
    Last edited by alloroc; 08-02-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Previous employer was fine...worst boss ever though....

I worked for a non-profit... the entire office except for two people (who were never there as they worked at another location) was made up of women.

Sounds good in theory..... trust me, it wasn't.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    Slow And burns oil !!

2020 NDT in grande prarie. Garbage company. Owner is young, lacking in experience and most def. breaking many industry rules. You treat employee's well, then you dont have to worry about your company name being tarnished.
    Booooooooosted Da9
    WD21 pathfinder mud rig

Originally posted by mugensix
    You treat employee's well, then you dont have to worry about your company name being tarnished.
    While I agree with this statement, it is in your best interest not to crap all over them on the net. If they stumble upon it, which I know my former employer would since they have google alerts setup for anything mentioning them, I am sure they would not be pleased.

The likeliness of them giving me a reference in the future, if I needed it, would likely decrease significantly. Also, who knows if in the future my name is brought up in conversation with someone they are talking with and then they tell them how I crapped all over them on the net. News travels fast nowadays. I don't think ruining your reputation for the sake of entertaining other forum members is worth it.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

2nd real serious job in my field, spent a year and a bit there and learned everything I didn't want in a company.

Owner was from South Africa and made the place into a sweat shop. Looked over your shoulder every moment of the day, pushed his religion in the office (At the time, the da vinci code was just out), if you went to the bathroom more than twice in a day (or answer a call on your cell phone) he would dock your pay.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

A small to medium popular Western Canadian sports memorabilia store.

Terrible.

Only time anyone got raises was when minimum wage went up and managers who had been there for 5+ years were making less then 40k Gross. Also no attempts to be a "good place to work" but came down on their managers for high turnover.

I worked there for 3 years while I was in school and never once got a raise unless minimum wage went up. My manager worked there for 7 and was capped at 40k and was told that would never go up.

Only reason I worked there was cause I was too lazy to try and find better work (although for part-time there wasn't much in those days... end of '07- middle of '10).

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

City wide towing. lack of respect and other things. Terrible pay and misc other things.

Superstore when I was in high school. I got fired one day prior to the end of my three month probationary period despite being (I believe) the only member in my department who wasn't stealing from the store.

Found a much higher paying job within a week anyways

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

For places in my field: the place I work at right now

Overall job experiences? Working at a rug cleaning company as a summer job between my first and second years at College. My gawd was that a bad place. understaffed, overworked, minimum wage and a floor boss that didn't speak English. I quit after 1.5 months, and took the rest of the summer off
    Geek

My Ride
    SJ9

For family, and still do. Not so much the aspect of putting up with shit during work, it's that they don't leave it there.

My Ride
    G6

Superstore when I was 18. Terrible boss, terrible job.

My Ride
    95 Stealth RT/TT, '72 Duster

Originally posted by BokCh0y
    Previous employer was fine...worst boss ever though....
    my last job was at a glass shop (I did shop work and door/window installs). The guy who hired me - I had worked with him back in the '90s at the place I recently went back to- was a great boss, and he was the lead installer. I was basically his helper in that he had to make any decisions when we came upon something odd.
    We'd be driving along and he'd tell me that he just gave me a raise- I never asked once.
    Then he sold the business at the beginning of 2011, and the new guy is a complete idiot (as in he drives down from Calgary every day, and if we needed something from Calgary someone would have to drive in to get it when he got down here to watch the shop ).
    I went from 'helper' to lead installer, no raise, then I got cut back to two days a week last summer when he re-hired the crackhead that the old boss had fired (he'd work a lot cheaper, so he was the 40 hrs/week guy). Of course, when he got re-fired, suddenly I was good enough for full-time work again (unless there were no installs booked, in which case I was sent home- I "made too much to work in the shop" even though shop rates were 4x my wages lol).
    Then again, it was funny watching people come to pick up unfinished stuff because no one there knew how to do it (i.e. cutting circles, cutting holes in glass, etc.).
    It was so satisfying telling him I was leaving (even more so telling him I liked working for him so much I was going to a job where I'd make $3 an hour less).

/end rant lol.

btw, the two days a week thing wasn't so bad, in that it gave me lots of time to work on my Duster

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

LOL, man I've had SO many jobs, since I was 14.
    The worst ones that come to mind I'll talk about.
    (I seriously dont care if they stumble upon this, so I'll mention some of their names. Im not in any industry nor line of work that their involved in, so there really isn't too much they can do)

- Calgary Pallet. Literally my first job out of my high school. I forget how I heard about that place, but the owners son was telling me about how some of the guys make $30-40/hr there doing stuff I was quite capable of doing. That was great but only the most senior guys (that the boss actually cares about) make that, since they were building pallets that paid 10X per pallet then what Id be building. I was making the equivalent of $8-9/hr, doing some of the most brutal shit work I've ever done. Try nailing about 1500-1900 nails a day, building about 150 typical pallets, (everyday) using a 7 pound nail gun, and see how you feel. I developed such severe tendonitis in my forearms it took me 40min just to take a piss, since I could no longer properly open or close my fingers. At that point it was kind of a mutual fuck off, since my arms were quite honestly dead, and I hated the fucking imbeciles that I used to work with. I think out of my 7 co -workers, I was literally the only one with a high school diploma. I still have tendonitis today, so its really painful to hold a pressure washer gun for anything longer then a minute.

Standens. my full time gig a few years later was strictly spring/summer/fall work, so I needed something to hold me over until spring was here. I can honestly see why their always hiring, because anybody with a room temp. IQ or better would run screaming from that place. Its funny, they have to hire temp workers from places like Russia, Poland & Romania on temp work visa's just because nobody would want to work there otherwise.
    Most of the positions were operating machines, or feeding blast furnaces or that sort of thing.
    Thats what I was doing at first, feeding a giant automated blast furnace. The heat was honestly incredible, since it wasn't sealed at all, and it was 1200C inside the furnace. On a hot day, that would be just brutal.
    They use oil to cool down the metals after the forging process, so when glowing hot metal drops into these oil tanks, some of it evaporates. So the air was incredibly toxic to breath in. No matter where you went, a thick smokey haze would be all around you.
    They needed someone to form these (basically ultra heavy duty sway bars). So thats what I had to do. These bars weighed 75 pounds each, and were 3" steel rods about 8 feet long. Try man-handling those into a forge all day, then into this specialty machine that would form the ends into a different shape. Now make 130-160 of those a day, and do (both jobs) for $15-16/hr. Needless to say I was incredibly happy when spring arrived.
    That wasn't as bad as the Pallet place, but quite close.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 08-12-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Can't complain really. Ford up in Yellowknife sucked when I was in the wash bay, my coworker was a fucking moron, then I got laid off with no warning on my 19th birthday.

Worst: Pepsi, absolute joke.

Absolutely love my job now. Saving lives

My Ride
    fairlady tt

Worst Job - Tanks A Lot, they are a joke. I ran picker for them for 2.5 years and was told that it would count towards my apprenticeship. I didn't know any better as my "Journeyman" who i found out later wasn't even an apprentice said that's how he did it. Needless to say after going to the Apprenticeship board and asking for my blue book they let me know the hours i had collected over the last 2 years were no good but offered to back date me to the beginning of the year. I was less then 100hrs away from my journeyman and a raise before they laid me off due to lack of work. I was unknowingly breaking numerous laws due to weight and hrs of service which was partly my fault for not being diligent and trusting my bosses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast