Quantcast
Distracted Driving Ticket... For Scratching - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15

Thread: Distracted Driving Ticket... For Scratching

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Originally posted by sillysod
    I hate the police bashing in threads like this.

They don't make the laws, their JOB is to enforce them. If an officer gets told they are setting up a baby seat enforcement trap at the McKenzie Towne Circle, his job is to do just that.

on this board."
    This is one thing i totally agree with baby check stops.
    Problem is the CPS are not trained to setup a seat properly.
    They have lost all community services.
    How many people know that baby seats actually expire.
    How many people know if in a collision The seat has to be replaced.
    How many people know what angle the seat should be at.
    How many people know with one child which side is the best place to be.
    The police and fire department should do more community work.
    HELP THE PEOPLE........FOR GODS SAKE.

Originally posted by cancer man

"Expiring" baby seats is a corporate racket to keep people buying, instead of using hand-me-downs.

This is another instance of the police unwittingly supporting the capitalist corporatocracy.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by cancer man

How many people know if in a collision The seat has to be replaced.
    How many people know what angle the seat should be at.
    How many people know with one child which side is the best place to be.
    The police and fire department should do more community work.
    HELP THE PEOPLE........FOR GODS SAKE.
    The guys doing the child safety seat traffic stops sure are, so not sure what you're trying to say here.
    No, they haven't. Maybe it's you?
    RTFM
    RTFM
    RTFM
    RTFM
    They are doing community work. I've seen it quite a few times in Country Hills, but they're also constrained by budget cuts, just like every other aspect of government.
    Last edited by codetrap; 08-12-2012 at 03:24 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by LollerBrader

"Expiring" baby seats is a corporate racket to keep people buying, instead of using hand-me-downs.

This is another instance of the police unwittingly supporting the capitalist corporatocracy.
    I would not say unwittingly. More like "rationalized".

Originally posted by LollerBrader

"I'm just following orders"

Modelexis, Toma, LB..etc, you understand. Anyone else?

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by Toma

And how is that relevant? people also crash going in a straight line.

They crash if they speed, they crash if they don't, they crash drunk, they crash sober.....

We are humans and not computers. Trying to rule as to death with BS shit that attempts to take away our right to judgement is wrong.

There is no certainly in probability, and this is why your reasoning is wrong.
    Personal choice/judgement seems to be a recurring theme in a lot of your posts, be it traffic laws, drunk driving, or gun control.

I personally think you put way too much faith in other people. I'm sure you can execute a perfectly safe U-turn through an intersection after a couple beers, but that doesn't say the same for the 50 year old asian woman who might pull a U right into your path while you're cruising along at 80km/h on Crowchild.

Sure, you can ticket/fine/punish her for unsafe driving after the fact... but what good does that do if you get seriously injured or die as a result?

Well looks like I won't be fighting this one. Court date is on a Friday and I work pretty well the hours the court is open. I have the ability at work to miss the day, but it is unpaid. So even if I get the ticket thrown out, I'd still lose money that day.

You win this time CPS.

I managed to get my phone record, and it states it as no calls during that time were made. Could I just go to the justice of peace and the booths where you go and pay, just explain to them the situation, show them the phone record, and ask for it reduced at the very least??

Or is there a way to reschedule the court date? I imagine courts are not open on the weekend anyway.

I mean it's funny, look at how little I know on the court process cause what do you know... I'm a safe driver and have had 2 tickets in my entire lifetime, this being my third. Yet I get boned on bullshit.

Originally posted by Spoons
    Could I just go to the justice of peace and the booths where you go and pay, just explain to them the situation, show them the phone record, and ask for it reduced at the very least??
    You can plead down for sure, but if they feel they have a chance to win they will not dismiss it. They'll just take a look at tickets, and the notes on it and will offer you a deal right away (they won't look at any evidence you want to provide).

I went in to discuss a speeding ticket and the crown won't look at my video evidence, he said they can only look at it during trial. What a $ wasting system we have.
    ---

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Strider

Personal choice/judgement seems to be a recurring theme in a lot of your posts, be it traffic laws, drunk driving, or gun control.

I personally think you put way too much faith in other people. I'm sure you can execute a perfectly safe U-turn through an intersection after a couple beers, but that doesn't say the same for the 50 year old asian woman who might pull a U right into your path while you're cruising along at 80km/h on Crowchild.

Sure, you can ticket/fine/punish her for unsafe driving after the fact... but what good does that do if you get seriously injured or die as a result?
    Ahhh, the famous "what if". So you are asking what if a drunk asian woman makes a u turn, in front of me, and it is unsafe in some way? well, it takes two people in most accidents, so I would be fine.

Also, I really fail to see how a u turn is all that different than a left turn?? In reality, it is no more dangerous, requires no more skill or attention etc.... it's the same maneuver with an extra 90 degrees tossed in. In reality, if you make it tight enough, you actually don't cross the potential path of perpendicular traffic.

And, as strict and over reaching as our "drunk driving" laws are, people still manage to die. The laws, and the rights they infringe will never prevent all accidents, cause after all, we are still humans.

I can GUARANTEE one thing. 99% of accidents are NOT due to drinking, speed etc, they are due to errors in judgment, lapses in attention, falling asleep behind the wheel, making a mistake etc. ie, being human.

And I'm sorry, but you can make all the laws in the world, and you will never turn a human into a robot.
    Last edited by Toma; 08-13-2012 at 03:22 PM.

I reread most of the posts in here and saw what traffic_cop posted.

Traffic_cop if you could PM me that would be great. To my understanding all I need to do is bring the ticket to the JP counter, state I was scratching my face and he doesn't have the make, model, and colour of my phone written on the ticket?

I'd love to go fight this, but I'm in a tough spot to do so. If I win, I gain about 30 bucks in my pocket (negligible in my eyes), but if I lose, I have to pay the ticket, and I lose out on all the money not working.

I mean even common sense thinking, he literally pulled me over a few meters away from my house. Why would I leave my house, get in the car, and then decide to get on my cell phone? I mean that holds nothing in regards to proof, but I mean sort of just a common sense (and I heard probability thrown in here) that I wasn't on my phone.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

uh, go in at any time to talk to a jp... court dates can be re-booked at the counter at any time before the date

My Ride
    Hybrid

... well, it takes two people in most accidents, so I would be fine
    I'm as confident in my driving abilities as the next guy, but it's incredibly naive to believe that you can avoid accidents altogether.

I can GUARANTEE one thing. 99% of accidents are NOT due to drinking, speed etc
    I can agree that accidents are not due to speed, but speed can greatly increase the severity of an accident.

they are due to errors in judgment, lapses in attention, falling asleep behind the wheel, making a mistake
    All of which are much easier to make if one is driving drunk.

Since you're a capable driver, I might feel 100% safe with you making your own judgements regarding speed, drinking, U-turns, but I wouldn't feel the same with 99% of the other drivers on the road.

I'd gladly give up some of my civil liberties (giving a breath sample, following speed limits, etc) to limit the opportunities for other people to make errors in judgement that could impact me.

I'm not arguing or debating with you, I'm just saying that you put a lot more faith/trust in other people than I do.
    Last edited by Strider; 08-13-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Alright I have all the info I need. I'm stepping out of this one.

If you guys want to keep arguing though, by all means, continue. I went on a week long vacation and was surprised this was still going.

and with the thread brought back on topic and resolved, it is done.
    ---

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15