Quantcast
Distracted Driving Ticket... For Scratching - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Distracted Driving Ticket... For Scratching

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

A true Canadian crime. The horrorrrrrrrr! The horrorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Default Re: Distracted Driving Ticket... For Scratching

Originally posted by Spoons

Absolutely shocked....
    The police are your friends.

You would not have been charged if you were not guilty.

Yeah those British/English cops are fucking cunts here. One of the low lifes asked my dad if he was retarded because he cannot speak very well after brain tumor surgery. I tore the cunt a new hole to say the least. I have zero respect for these clowns, they power trip whenever they can and they treat you like a criminal for petty traffic offences.

My Ride
    You Crazy

You are gonna have to play this one the old fashioned way:

1) How far away were you when you saw me
    2) How long would you guess was my hand by my ear
    3) What kind of phone was it?
    4) What style was it?
    5) What colour was it.
    6) are you sure you saw a phone in my hand?
    7) when you pulled me over, did you see a phone in my car?

You gotta contact rogers now and get a detailed history.

You have to be a s presentable and professional and even tempered as possible. It's gonna be your word against his, but unless you do something stupid, you will be on fairly equal "credibility".

And DO NOT take a deal. Tell em, firmly but politely. "I did nothing wrong, I am not going to plead guilty to anything", and take your chances in front of the Judge.
    Last edited by Toma; 08-03-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Is there no "innocent until proven guilty" sort of law in Canada? As in, the onus is on the cop to prove you were on the phone, not on you to prove you weren't?
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

Fight it. You will win. Waste of time sure but imagine what the cop hears every day? When he ACTUALLY pulls someone over for texting or talking while driving. I doubt they just give up. I am sure they say they were scratching or whatever.

If they took everyone at their work they wouldn't ever write tickets for anything. Oh you werent speeding? My mistake my gun must be broken. Have a nice day.

I am in no way saying this is fair but your reaction coupled with the hilarity of the story makes it sound like BS.

Originally posted by AudiPWR
    Yeah those British/English cops are fucking cunts here.
    Nice generalization
    Last edited by Cos; 08-03-2012 at 10:09 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by arian_ma
    Is there no "innocent until proven guilty" sort of law in Canada? As in, the onus is on the cop to prove you were on the phone, not on you to prove you weren't?
    Traffic "law" is strange. No material evidence seems to be required at all. The cop could say anything he wants, and it stands as evidence on it's own.

It's a strange situation in that he is your accuser (lays the charge), and his word is the only evidence (very often).

Combine that with that they have a lawyer on their side, and you have none on yours, and they then win a lot of cases.

I always thought within a just legal system, a case would have the same outcome whether or not you had a lawyer, but it just isn't so.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Now I thought about it, may be I was scratching when the cop stopped me for distracted driving.

But I got away after I pointed to the NAV screen with bluetooh signal bar saying that I use handsfree even if I were on a call.

My Ride
    You Crazy

I'm shocked the usual lemmings aren't all over this thread already saying

"something doesn't add up about your story".

Or "scratching your ear was obviously distracting cause you didn't see the cop right away, so you should just pay the ticket."

So just talked to Rogers.

Unfortunately they can not provide me with a record of my calls as I am not subscribed to detailed billing. If I applied for detailed billing, they still wouldn't have the record.

This seems like BS to me.

I think I'm hooped now.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Unfortunately they can not provide me with a record of my calls as I am not subscribed to detailed billing. If I applied for detailed billing, they still wouldn't have the record.

I think I'm hooped now.
    Nope, Print Roger's policy on billing in case it comes up why you don't have it. Otherwise, don't mention it.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

MONTPELIER, Vt. — Working in a stout former bank building with windows closed and air conditioners humming, Orleans County sheriff’s deputies didn’t know what was happening in their parking lot until a neighbour called 911. A man on a big farm tractor, angry about his recent arrest for resisting arrest and marijuana possession, was rolling across their vehicles — five marked cruisers, one unmarked car and a transport van. By the time they ran outside, the tractor was down the driveway and out onto the road. With their vehicles crushed, “We had nothing to pursue him with,” said Chief Deputy Philip Brooks. Thursday afternoon’s incident ended when city police in Newport, the county seat of the northern Vermont county, caught up with Roger Pion, 34, a short distance away. No one was injured. At least two deputies had gone inside a few moments before after washing their vehicles, officials said. “Nobody was hurt. That’s the thing everybody’s got to cherish,” said Sheriff Kirk Martin. Vermont State Police said in a statement that Pion would face seven counts of felony unlawful mischief, one count of misdemeanour unlawful mischief, one count aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, one count of gross negligent operation, and one count of leaving the scene of an accident. Pion was being held at the Northern State Correctional Center in Newport on $15,000 bail. Sheriffs said they did not know if Pion had a lawyer. A phone number for him could not be located. Martin estimated damage to the vehicles at more than $300,000; state police put it at more than $250,000. Not only were their roofs and hoods caved in, but “the radios are ruined, the radar detectors, the cages in the cars ... We’re going to have to get the Jaws of Life up here to pry the trunks open and see about the rifles and shotguns,” Martin said. Brooks said the destroyed vehicles constituted more than half the fleet of sheriff’s cruisers in the rural county on the Canadian border. Others were out on patrol at the time of the incident. Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/uses+tr...#ixzz22VBIw82C
    Wonder if he's distracted lol.

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Thats bullshit. Every carrier has it for their own purposes. Probably mainly for when people dispute they weren't on the phone for so long etc and I'm sure police have plenty of use for it too.

There will be a record from your friends number with the call duration of 0:00:00 as it was a missed call.

Do you guys get any online bills or history? You could always screen shot that missed call. And depending on which phone you have, it should say duration as well.
    But by now that missed call will have the date and time rather than 14 hours ago.

Dude... if you don't fight this, I will fight it for you. Don't let bullshit like this happen.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    DA6, R59

I think I'm hooped now.
    Like others have said, take a screen shot of your call history when it happened. Then you can prove there were no out going calls or completed calls, just the missed one from your girl friend. For example if you have an iPhone all the missed calls are red and completed are black. I would presume most newer phones display call history in a samilar way.

I was speaking with an off duty police officer a month or so ago and we got off on a tangent about traffic tickets and trying to fight them. He was saying that if a court date was set, it is on the officers day off and they get paid for the full day just to attend the trial. To have the opportunity to make a couple hundred bucks for maybe 2-3hours, would be hard to pass up and very unlikely IMO for the officer not to show up.

Good luck, that sounds like a ridiculous ticket.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

On iPhones you can just swipe to the right and delete any call in your history if you want so it can be "doctored" per say if they argue it, if you go that route.

I haven't been with rogers for a couple years now but I did have detailed billing but remember having every phone call I made or received listed on my bills, can't recall if it listed the time of the call though, someone else might be able to clarify this if they are through Rogers with detailed billing.

Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit
    On iPhones you can just swipe to the right and delete any call in your history if you want so it can be "doctored" per say if they argue it, if you go that route.

That would be perjury.... usually the court would assume you are telling the truth.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    z32 TT

The cop has never seen that episode of Family Guy where Peter has birds living in his beard,haha

I know someone who got a ticket for texting,.. But she wasn't, her head was down at a red light pulling a hangnail out.. Lame. Don't remember if she paid it or not, but I doubt she did
    JDM Powrrrr !

Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
    I know the cop that pulled you over, he's usually a decent guy... must have been in a pissy mood, unless you were being a true dink.
    I don't think there are any decent cops working traffic. That type of job seems to only attract a certain type of individual. The quota system doesn't help either.

My advice - get a windshield mounted GPS dash camera with speed display. Maybe even consider getting a video camera for the interior of the car as well for cases like this. You can present the evidence in court and you can also take it to the media.

Also, go and fight every single ticket. If they're going to waste your time with BS tickets, you should waste their resources too. On a $172 ticket, even if you lose, it's going to cost the system way more than $172 when you take into account court time, police salary, judges salary, prosecutor salary, administration and paperwork, etc. Just imagine if everybody took their tickets to court.

If the CPS was smarter, they would reduce traffic fines so that it wouldn't be worth people's time to fight it. I bet they would actually realize an increase in revenue if they did that.

My Ride
    93 integra

lol...you're such a tool for having a beard...jesus man...Didn't you know that cops go down hard on bearded hippies??

Now thanks to you I'm going to have to shave mine off so I don't get pulled over....

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast