Quantcast
Distracted Driving Ticket... For Scratching - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 15 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Distracted Driving Ticket... For Scratching

Default Distracted Driving Ticket... For Scratching

I'm not shitting you. 100% truth here. I'm floored at the moment.

I was at the 4 way stop in Beddington up by Safeway and what not, coming to a stop heading westbound.

I have (more like had because I shaved due to my beard being unlucky now) a beard, and I was scratching my face as it was pretty itchy from after the pool at cardel.

I look both ways, and low and behold there is a cop to the left of me stopped too. He was just glaring at me. Instantly it popped into my head, "Oh god, he thinks I'm on the phone right now."

I shot my hand down (I shouldn't have done that, I know, I should have just acted normal) and sure enough, he throws his lights on and pulls me over. British cop with a heavy accent... Great (in my opinion, most these guys are assholes. I haven't met one nice one yet).

He asks me if I know why he pulled me over. I said, "I believe you pulled me over because you think I was talking on the phone, but I can assure you sir, I was scratching my ear." He scoffed at me with a bullshit, said he blatantly saw me (he was across the intersection, even if I was on the phone, I doubt he could clearly see that I was on the phone, not to mention the side that I was scratching was opposite, so my head would have blocked anything.

He goes on, "Well innocent people don't shoot down there hand when they see me." I agree'd with him, but I explained that I was freaked out because it was clear what you were thinking.

Kicker is... My phone was at home. Not even on me at the time. I tried to tell him, "Call my phone, you'll find it is not on me. Search me, do whatever. I have nothing to hide."

Anyway he goes on to enquire why I think he's dumb as shit/stupid, why I'd lie to him, and that I can bring it up at court. Classic dick cop.

So, $172.00 fucking ticket for scratching my face. Not to mention there is scribbles all over the damn thing from other tickets on there.

Is this even worth fighting or will it just be denied? That is a lot of money to pay for being innocent.

Absolutely shocked....

That'll teach ya to scratch before you get behind the wheel.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

That's messed up man. He should have at least looked in your car quickly (since you allowed him to) to see if you are telling the truth and not just be prejudice about the situation. I actually will go and fight this ticket if I were you.

Sorry to hear this shitty situation.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

take a screenshot or photo of your text and call history showing that there was no activity on the phone during that time.

Go to court, explain your story.

I know the cop that pulled you over, he's usually a decent guy... must have been in a pissy mood, unless you were being a true dink.

Fight it, you will win.

This is what happens when Rick Han$en goes on the news to say they are going to write more distracted driving tickets. Fuck I hope that guy dies.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Fight it for sure.

That's 100% BS

Don't see scratching on here

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca.../FactSheet.pdf
    Last edited by FraserB; 08-03-2012 at 09:04 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You shoud've installed a hands free scratcher in your car. What were you thinking???

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    V8s

Did you try to reason with him the way you do at checkstops? I could see that having a bearing on the situation.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by cjblair
    Did you try to reason with him the way you do at checkstops? I could see that having a bearing on the situation.
    This sounds good, tell us the story.

My Ride
    oooo

Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
    Fuck I hope that guy dies.
    wow...
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    2013 Scion FR-S

Unbelievable! Who cares about the money part, the real fact of the matter is this: By paying that ticket, whether it's the whole thing or it gets reduced, you're pleading guilty to the offense of distracted driving. Which means demerits. And even if you were to get those demerits knocked off the ticket, it still does not take away from the fact that you'd have plead guilty to the offense. Insurance companies don't care what you paid or how many demerits the ticket is worth, it's a guilty conviction.

Basically, you'd be paying for it in the long run. Get your phone records pulled, do what ever you have to... But I would not pay that ticket. What a bunch of absolute BS! Typical self-righteous cop.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune!

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

No demerits for a distracted driving ticket.

Originally posted by Phl0xed
    Unbelievable! Who cares about the money part, the real fact of the matter is this: By paying that ticket, whether it's the whole thing or it gets reduced, you're pleading guilty to the offense of distracted driving. Which means demerits. And even if you were to get those demerits knocked off the ticket, it still does not take away from the fact that you'd have plead guilty to the offense. Insurance companies don't care what you paid or how many demerits the ticket is worth, it's a guilty conviction.

Basically, you'd be paying for it in the long run. Get your phone records pulled, do what ever you have to... But I would not pay that ticket. What a bunch of absolute BS! Typical self-righteous cop.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune!
    No demerits (my biggest worry).

Unfortunately I don't know if my call history will help. There is a missed calls from my friend right around the same time (I literally have the worst freaking luck), and my phone doesn't go into specifics. Right now it just says "1 missed call, 14 hours ago.

I figure it will just get reduced by 50%, because in the end it is going to be his word against mine. Hopefully he doesn't show up.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Friend of mine was in a similar situation (resting head on hand while driving, cop claimed he was on his phone). He took in his phone bill showing call history (no calls at the time of infraction listed on ticket) to court and they threw the ticket out.

My Ride
    Mitsubishi

Wow that is taking distracted driving law too far. You know for sure he knew exactly what the situation was, and was going to write you up either way. I would fight it for sure.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    Friend of mine was in a similar situation (resting head on hand while driving, cop claimed he was on his phone). He took in his phone bill showing call history (no calls at the time of infraction listed on ticket) to court and they threw the ticket out.
    Go me. I don't get detailed billing either. So no phone record.

I wonder could I maybe call Rogers and pull the call history?

My Ride
    You Crazy

Bahahahhaha.

Fuck, and people still get mad at me for thinking traffic cops are a complete and udder waste of skin.

Sorry about your luck man. Remember my motto "Fight every ticket".

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Woo hoo, time to waste your own time and court time because of an imbecile officer.

Been there done that, good fucking job yet again Calgary traffic police

I love this thread so I'm going to post the link to it again:
    Texting Calgary cop almost hits an old lady.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 08-03-2012 at 09:34 AM.

They give you tickets for scratching your face and 3 months in jail for raping kids.

Makes sense to me
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride

Lol British cops, always so uptight.... The other day I heard the phrase "guilty untill proven innocent" sure fits well in this case

Take a screenshot of that "missed call 14 hours ago"

It will show you were not on the phone. Any evidence is helpful. And no, you won't get it reduced because it would have to be reduced to a lesser charge... I cannot think of a less charge this could be reduced to.

You either fight it and win clean, or you pay it. There is no middle ground.

Good to see these losers are doing such a good job protecting our roads from the oh so dangerous beard scratchers.... meanwhile people are getting a license without a road test. Awesome.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

Page 1 of 15 1 2 11 ... LastLast