Quantcast
Another oil field ??? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Another oil field ???

My Ride
    02 TL1000R, 14 F150 FX4, 11 XKR 175

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Of course not, no I just worked in Wireline & assisted in Frac jobs, as well as talked to *countless* people in various positions in MWD.

You essentially said chem is worthless, "With Chemistry, that wont do too much for you asides from perhaps getting you on with a "frac" company/crew that uses fluids exclusively".

You proved my point with your response about your experiences, it seems you don't understand what they do in the industry.

You assisted on frac jobs. Ok. Who came up with that frac package you pumped? Let's say it was a gelled water frac. Who designed the cross-linker? Was it a delayed linker? Who designed that? Who designed the breaker? And so on.

I am sure you know the answer as they are rhetorical questions.

Frac is just one example I used. There are chemicals used from drilling the well all the way through producing, transporting down pipelines, refining, and then all the products made from oil (polymers, fuels, etc.). There are chemist involved in exploration as well.

Now chemists are involved not only in researching new products for all these applications but also how and where to use them.

The whole point of this post is not to get into a pissing contest with you but it bugs me in these career threads that people throw out advice when they really don't know what they are talking about. As an example I would never post something in a computer career related thread cause I know very little about the industry and would probably just be giving at best poor advice.

Everyone is confused on what to do at the beginning of their careers and bad advice can do bad damage.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

On the topic of chemistry, interestingly enough my relief that's coming tomorrow is supposed to have his masters in chemistry.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Acura 2000 el 1.6

Indeed very interesting Msc. and still working in the field ? is that common

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Just skipped this thread and didn't see anyone mention corrosion. Lots of chemical related jobs in corrosion both for up and mid-stream firms, though I'm not sure what sort of requirements they'd have for a chemist.

I know some guys who have made bank working with Champion Technologies overseas supplying corrosion inhibitors and demuslifiers.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by masterburn
    Indeed very interesting Msc. and still working in the field ? is that common
    I don't know. He's the first one I've met. Some people you might not expect to be in the field realized that they like working by themselves, being outside, not dealing with office stuff, and setting their own hours. Other people are building experience and plan on getting into an office job later on. And then there are idiots. I don't know which one he was.

I do know lots of people who are more than qualified to "climb the ladder", but they're happy in the field doing their own thing on their own time without anyone bothering them. I know guys who have been in the field for 30 or 40 years, and still don't plan on leaving. I know guys who were in the field for a year or two and got out at the first opportunity. I think it's more about doing what you like than anything.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Are you trying to find a job related to your schooling or no? From reading this thread it really looks like you are getting the chemistry degree for the fun of it then going somewhere completely different for work (but at the same time keep relying on the fact that you have a chemistry background). Like everyone else has said you are definitely too focused on the $$.

I think you should get a basic labor job in the patch first to see what its all about. The hours, the type of work etc are all something that people can tell you about but you never really understand unless you experience it.

As for the frac side of things, if you are looking for something to do with your degree the only thing you will really be doing is field QC work or lab work. The most of an office you'd see if when doing your lab reports. Chemists with 7+ years of related experience may get put into an 'office' type job within the lab but that's about it. If you wanted to actually get out on a crew you'll be starting at the bottom and working your way up like everyone else. For labor jobs like that it doesn't mater if you have a PhD or your grade 9. I've done pretty much everything there is to do in the frac world from operating every piece of frac equipment, to lab work to engineering work so I'm pretty confident in this.

Your best bet would be getting in on an entry level position with a mud chemical company, get used to the industry and hours and go from there.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, who do you work for chkolny541? Are you a field QC or a lab guy?
    Last edited by schurchill39; 08-14-2012 at 10:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Acura 2000 el 1.6

Well, I really want a chemistry job thats for sure will look into frac a lot. Problem is my degree isn't the typical chemistry degree which I predict is going to give me significant problems getting a position. Honestly I'd take any chem position at any company for the time being, My original theory was do some manual labor get to know the company then drop the line hey look I'm educated in chemistry do you have any chemistry positions ??? but as I'm reading that sounds like a terrible idea from what most of you are saying. I originally picked MWD, because I have a strong interest in it. I loved x ray crystallography and NMR spectrum the puzzles the guessing =) it kind of similar to MWD but I've never tried so I won't know just thought it be cool to guess and figure out whats going on everyday. I picked labor route as a back up thinking I would get my foot in the door with a company first. Most of you guys are stating the labor route is a bad idea so I'll scrap it.

The way I see it, it a win/win situation, money is not the main issue. I'll be fine with entry position in chem making 40-50k but if I don't and get a labor position I can save up a nice chunk of change go back do my masters in chem and have oil field experience.

Originally posted by masterburn
    I originally picked MWD, because I have a strong interest in it. I loved x ray crystallography and NMR spectrum the puzzles the guessing =) it kind of similar to MWD but I've never tried so I won't know just thought it be cool to guess and figure out whats going on everyday.
    I think you are misinterpreting what MWD field operators do...

The reason they make a large wage is because the job is shitty. You sit in a shack for weeks on end doing literally next to nothing. For some people that is ok, but every time there is any field testing and I am on that project I want to kill myself.

I am sure there are people on here who can attest to this.

(PS: I am in R&D for a MWD company)

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

OP, how good are you at watching movies?
    Last edited by adamc; 08-15-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The general rule in the oilpatch is that the better the job and the more desirable the locations, the lower the wage.

Anytime someone is willing to pay $500, $800 or $1000 a day, it's not because the job is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Oil companies have had field staff over a barrel for years with regard to wages and demands places on workers.

But yeah, Extraslow is correct.
    Last edited by adamc; 08-15-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    The general rule in the oilpatch is that the better the job and the more desirable the locations, the lower the wage.

Anytime someone is willing to pay $500, $800 or $1000 a day, it's not because the job is awesome.
    This man speaks the 100% truth.
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

I always thought MWD wasn;t really all that complicated. As in anyone could do it (sort of). Meaning you don't need a degree in anything related. You could have a degree in English Litt and still work as a MWD operator. Or am I wrong?
    Porsche 944S2 Cabrio

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's a bit like office engineers. Consulting engineers make about double what employees make on a per-hour basis, but there is a big trade-off in terms of stability, benefits etc.

Nothing comes for free.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Acura 2000 el 1.6

That is the truth lol obviously they pay more for isolated places let face it who wants to go to butt fuck no where for weeks, for me I'm young I don't mind going to those places no obligation or anything. Boredom ?? As long as there's Internet it perfectly fine with me LOL

My Ride
    Ford F150

Originally posted by bitteeinbit
    I always thought MWD wasn;t really all that complicated. As in anyone could do it (sort of). Meaning you don't need a degree in anything related. You could have a degree in English Litt and still work as a MWD operator. Or am I wrong?

If everything goes right then I suppose so. Things start to fail though and you'll see who's an idiot real fast.

To be fair though a well trained monkey could do almost any job in the oil patch.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    It's a bit like office engineers. Consulting engineers make about double what employees make on a per-hour basis, but there is a big trade-off in terms of stability, benefits etc.

Nothing comes for free.
    I've tried to figure out how much office workers make, proportionally, with all the benefits vs. the consultants with write-offs. A rough number I've heard is to add 20% to your salary for benefits' value. The isolation is a definitely trade off, sometimes pulling some retarded hours. But stability I think it's a wash, both guys can get canned easily enough it's just the firing order, ;consultants are usually first to receive Le Boot.

Personally I don't know how some of those guys have been working in the patch for decades and yet somehow still have families. Certainly not my big dream anyways!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

you'll never get an accurate percentage to make that comparison. Employees get a lot of stock based compensation, with in grants, options, DSU, PSU, RSU etc. So if the share price is going up nicely for a few years, that can be +100% of the salary, especially for a senior guy. If the share price is stagnant, that can be very small.

This effect is magnified if you are in a smaller company.

Here's an example for an employee (not me, not anyone)
    Bonus 10% average
    Stock (all kinds) 5% average
    RRSP/Savings top-ups of 8%
    Health Benfits 2% (higher if you have kids)
    Life/disability insurance 2%

So that's 27% on top of your salary. I think that's pretty fair. Throw in a couple week of training (employees gets paid and course paid for, contractor pays thier own way and bills no hours)

Once you start taking vacation into account, the employees is doing even better. Say three weeks plus 12 flex days, plus office closed for three days around christmas, that's 30 days paid for the employee. Some places give 5 weeks plus 12 flex days, so thats even more.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Ya agreed 100% about small company share options. Plenty of guys have retired early that way!

For me, I make at least the same (more than likely much more) than my colleagues with the same experience even with all the benefits. The advantage for me is 4 months off a year to travel, otherwise I'd much prefer to be in town even if it means making less (which it will).
    Ultracrepidarian

The numbers used for determining your consulting rate are as follows:

Current x 1.3 ÷ 220 = rate

Where
    Current = gross yearly package including bonus, contributions and extra insurance
    1.3 = 30% over current value
    220 = working days in the year
    rate = what you would be charged out at daily

Can use this to calculate your salary rate as well if you are looking to go from consulting to employee gig.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3