Quantcast
Computer soooo slow! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Computer soooo slow!

Allorac,

The guy who wrote that article isn't a computer tech. Actually, he's just stating something he heard from someone else.

Keep in mind that there are two main types of temp folders; one for IE and one for Windows. These folders are just caches, and can't slow your computer down. The folders sit there doing nothing until Windows or IE needs to access info from them. Stating that a computer will run faster if those caches are deleted, is kind of like saying that your car runs better because you removed some fast food bags from the interior.

Disabling needless startup items is always a good idea. CCleaner's Start Up tool is of course just Msconfig. The only difference is that msconfig does not have the potentially harmful Delete option for the startup items.

As far as registry cleaners go...The registry contains hundreds of thousands of keys. Cleaning up a few dozen or even a few hundred orphaned entries won't make the computer faster. Registry keys are only called upon when needed (similar to a cache), and orphaned entries are resolved in about a nano-second. There's much more info on the net about why not to use reg cleaners.

Virtually all computer slowness issues are caused by:

1) A failing hard drive.
    2) High CPU and/or Memory usage.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm kind of going down two paths here, but regarding the NAS, I know the hard drives I'm using aren't really recommended for that application. if I was buying new drives, or setting up a new NAS, what am I looking for that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg?
    I hear WD is coming out with some caviar Red drives for this application. I assume the other manufacturers have something as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '19 GTI

As an update:
    ended up bringing er down to Memory Express and it turns out i was trying to do more with my computer than it had ram.

So simple ram upgrade and now its running like a stud.

Could be a similar problem ExtraSLow??

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Don't think the problem is inadequate RAM. I have 2 GB installed, and task manager is showing 1.5 GB available even while it's hanging up. Processor usage never goes above 25% either. I'm really leaning towards hard disk issues.

I wanted an excuse to buy a new system anyway, but I was hoping to wait a few months.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Swak, how much ram did you previously have?

ES, make sure your data is backed up if you think the drive is failing, then run a chkdsk /r

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Depending on the type of hard drive issue, the chkdsk /r may be able to repair it.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

I had 2gb of ram before.

went up to 8gb

tech said system before programs was running on 1gb.
    thus when trying to use more for other programs it bogged the right down.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

You could also try the program defraggler, it will tell you exactly the status of your drive.

I haven't personally used newer versions of chkdsk, last time I used it, it simply worked or didn't. Defraggler might give you a little more insight.

Originally posted by DeeK
    You could also try the program defraggler, it will tell you exactly the status of your drive.

I haven't personally used newer versions of chkdsk, last time I used it, it simply worked or didn't. Defraggler might give you a little more insight.
    Defraggler is just a third party defragmenting tool. Chkdsk is a completely different tool.

Originally posted by swak
    I had 2gb of ram before.

went up to 8gb

tech said system before programs was running on 1gb.
    thus when trying to use more for other programs it bogged the right down.
    My Vista system has 2GB, and with numerous programs open, only uses about 40% of that.

A repair tech scam in situations like yours, is to take 30 seconds and utilize msconfig to disable all the programs that needless start and eat up ram. The shop will then tell you that you need more ram, as it's a very high profit margin for them.

The customer gets the computer back and it runs much faster (due to msconfig), and believes that it was more ram that solved the problem.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Originally posted by Seth1968

My Vista system has 2GB, and with numerous programs open, only uses about 40% of that.

A repair tech scam in situations like yours, is to take 30 seconds and utilize msconfig to disable all the programs that needless start and eat up ram. The shop will then tell you that you need more ram, as it's a very high profit margin for them.

The customer gets the computer back and it runs much faster (due to msconfig), and believes that it was more ram that solved the problem.

... probably this.
    Oh well, they didnt charge me labor. Guess they had to make up their profit somewhere...

About 50% of the time people complain to me about slow computers, it's something to do with the antivirus software running scans and completely taxing their HDD. Check that first.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    About 50% of the time people complain to me about slow computers, it's something to do with the antivirus software running scans and completely taxing their HDD. Check that first.
    Damn good point.

I sometimes forget to mention that to my customers when I've returned their slow computer. However, I do mention that the slowness will be intermittent, and only for the time and day that it's set up for.

I also mention similar for Window's updates.

EDIT- Slowness can also occur to those that only allow their computer to sleep, and rarely restart it.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 08-19-2012 at 11:51 AM.

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Step 5 in my process assuming you have already checked the HD for errors ... uninstall all AV software and install comodo internet security ... its free light on resources and it is also the best.
    http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-...t-security.php

Step 6 check to make sure the drive is setup in windows as DMA (or ultraDMA) and not PIO. (note this does not apply to SATA drives)
    a. Click on start.
    b. Right-click on “Computer” and click on “Manage”
    c. Click on “Device Manager”
    d. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    e. Right-click on any label where “Channel” is part of the name – Click on Properties
    f. Go to the Advanced Settings tab, under Device Properties check “Enable DMA”

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

http://www.moo0.com/?top=http://www....SystemMonitor/

great free tool to pinpoint the weak link in your setup

Monitor Your PC Performance

Moo0 SystemMonitor lets you keep your eye on system resource usages of your PC. It currently supports 36 kinds of information including CPU, Memory, Network, and detailed HDD usages. Using this program, you may discover what is limiting your system performance in each occasion.

Quote:
    "Moo0 SystemMonitor is a smart free program that shows what is going on with your computer. The program uses a minimal amount of ressources, and you can learn from it where your computer "hangs". You can see your computer under many perspectives, and with the features you can diagnose your computer. You can have as many features as you want open and have them in the way that fits you best on the screen. I use Moo0 SystemMonitor every day."
    Peter Dragonetti

I've mention this earlier in this thread, but I don't think either of the posters with slowness issue has tried this:

The first thing is to try the computer in Safe Mode With Networking. That will determine in one easy step if the slowness is being caused by a software or hardware issue.

No need to install or remove anything

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Seth1968
    I've mention this earlier in this thread, but I don't think either of the posters with slowness issue has tried this:

The first thing is to try the computer in Safe Mode With Networking. That will determine in one easy step if the slowness is being caused by a software or hardware issue.

No need to install or remove anything
    I did try that, and the slowness was not any better when in safe mode with networking. After that, I did the chkdsk /r routine, and it may have helped. Only got that done yeseterday and I haven't really been home since then much. Is there any way to see what the chkdsk when it ran? It ends and then just boots the comptuer, so I don't know if it repaired a bunch of stuff, or nothing.

I will try to report back.

Since it doesn't run any faster in Safe Mode, and chkdsk may have improved the speed, rest assured the hard drive is failing.

The log normally wouldn't indicate anything that we don't already know, but if you want to see it, then check out post #6 from here:

http://www.vistax64.com/general-disc...-location.html

For XP: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/win...n-t328554.html

Just to be clear, the computer is slow even opening up things like Control Panel and general programs?
    Last edited by Seth1968; 08-20-2012 at 01:43 PM.

My Ride
    '03 ep3

How much free space do you have on your hard disk? Where is your page file located?

My Ride
    z32 TT

can also try turning off the Windows 7 AERO features, i know that will slow down things
    also you can change your page file to 'system managed' instead of a set size, it could be too low of size, you can also move the page file to a second hard drive if you have one to increase data IO to the system drive
    JDM Powrrrr !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2