Quantcast
Spaying a cat? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Spaying a cat?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Spaying a cat?

Hey guys,

I am thinking of picking up a 3 month old kitten tonight from someone on Kijiji who has just recently got it themselves but found they were alergic to it. The cat is a female and was never spayed. I haven't asked about vaccinations yet, but anyone who can give me any information about getting a new kitten spayed and things I should look out for when I go and take a look at it it would be much appreciated. In addition, do I really need to spay the cat if its always going to be a household cat only.

And please no dog vs cat discussion, not a dog person.

i got my kitties spayed at 6 months.

From what i gathered you should get them spayed or they will run away looking for a mate.

Or always be in Heat.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

cats in heat are super annoying. like REALLY annoying. it will keep you up at night. it will randomly just go into heat even if it just finished a week earlier... so annoying...

My Ride

Any recommendations on a vet to do the job? I heard there are some microscopic surgery options as well...expensive?

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by eblend
    Any recommendations on a vet to do the job? I heard there are some microscopic surgery options as well...expensive?
    McLeod Trail vet clinic is on the cheaper end and they've been around forever.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ or big rock animal clinic in okotoks. That's where we take ours. Their very reasonable, and quite good
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Some very relevant links from a local vet in Bridlewood - here and here.

Do spay your cat - you'll be doing both yourself and your cat a favour and yeah, Big Rock in Okotoks is a great choice.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Why don't you check out the SPCA? Comes spayed already, included in the price. Save a life playa!

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Originally posted by syeve
    Why don't you check out the SPCA? Comes spayed already, included in the price. Save a life playa!
    Whats the difference? if this cat is not picked up by someone it will likely end up in the SPCA anyways...

Any reputable vet will not spay a cat prior to 5 or 6 months old. I know the vet in Valley Ridge is good. I dunno about exact pricing, but it is reasonable.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by DeeK

Whats the difference? if this cat is not picked up by someone it will likely end up in the SPCA anyways...

Any reputable vet will not spay a cat prior to 5 or 6 months old. I know the vet in Valley Ridge is good. I dunno about exact pricing, but it is reasonable.
    People still trying Kijiji have not exhausted all other avenues, family, friends, kijiji etc etc. The cats at the SPCA are on deaths door.

ALL reputable vets will spay a cat before 6 months. They will spay a 2 month old cat no problem, do it all the time.

The City of Calgary has once again started their No Cost Spay/Neuter program for those that can't afford to have the operation performed on their pet:

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages...r-program.aspx

As for things to look for, when you pick him/her up, check out the house as much as you can. You'll often see clues as to how the kitten was kept, even if they only had it a short time. They should still have adequate food and water out; if you see the litter box, is it fairly clean? Is their house relatively clean? If things look unkempt, chances are they didn't take very good care of the kitten, especially when they discovered someone was allergic to it.

Ask to see papers on vaccinations, vet visits, deworming, etc to get an idea as to what you need to do next for the kitten.

Ask what food they have been feeding it, and the type of litter they have been using. Cats don't always adjust to change well, so plan on using the same food and litter they were using for a while, and then gradually make the change to your preferred food and litter if you want.

Get them to give you any toys, beds, blankets, etc that the cat has sort of claimed for him or herself. That will give the kitten a certain amount of comfort as s/he transitions from their house to yours.

Check the eyes, nose, mouth, ears -- they should all be clear with no sign of discharge, mites, etc.

My Ride

Originally posted by speedog
    Some very relevant links from a local vet in Bridlewood - here and here.

Do spay your cat - you'll be doing both yourself and your cat a favour and yeah, Big Rock in Okotoks is a great choice.
    wow awesome, right next to our family doctor and like 3 min drive from our home!

thanks everyone for into, really enjoying my new kitten, we called her Sakura (cherry blossom in japanese)

My Ride
    CBR 929

Just my personal opinion, I would not spay a cat at 2 months of age-too young. Earliest I would do it is 5 months when they reach or almost reach sexual maturity.

Fixing pets super young is the equivalent of a human eunuch. They do not mature physically the same. The SPCA will try and get you to spay super young so they don't get knocked up on their first heat and produce more unwanted kittens. As long as you are responsible and keep them inside it isn't an issue fixing them when they are slightly older.

[url]

Originally posted by eblend
    wow awesome, right next to our family doctor and like 3 min drive from our home!

thanks everyone for into, really enjoying my new kitten, we called her Sakura (cherry blossom in japanese)
    Be aware that this vet is moving very soon but not very far - just into part of the old Block Buster Video space in the Shoppes of Bridlewood next to where the new Tim Hortons is going to be.

My Ride

Originally posted by speedog

Be aware that this vet is moving very soon but not very far - just into part of the old Block Buster Video space in the Shoppes of Bridlewood next to where the new Tim Hortons is going to be.
    So right by Sobeys and ScotiaBank area?

That would be fine as well, prolly even closer actually.

I called them up and they gave me the following options:

Laser spaying including all drugs for before and after operation - $289.99
    Microchip -$42 if done during the surgery
    Bloodwork - test cat's blood work to see what kind of drugs they should be giving it - $122
    Vaccines are like $19 per visit on top of the $71.50 exam fee, but I think the first vacine is just the $19 as the cat is already in surgery.

You guys figure I should get the Bloodwork done, or any of these fees seem overly expensive? I thought the $289 is pretty high...until I called Shawnessy Pet hospital...they wanted $448 with microchip included..

Yupp, moving into same building that Subway is in across from Scotiabank. Can't advise as to whether prices or high or not - never have had a cat spayed, only neutered and that was over 5 years ago at Transcanada Vet who retired in June 2012..
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Spaying is an easy DIY. Just look up a video on youtube. Wayyy easier if you have air tools, so if you don't have them, take it over to a friend who does.

My Ride
    Z30 Toyota Soarer, E92 BMW 335xi

Originally posted by bspot
    Spaying is an easy DIY. Just look up a video on youtube. Wayyy easier if you have air tools, so if you don't have them, take it over to a friend who does.
    http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/H...r_Your_Own_Pet