Quantcast
Luck or skill.... scary - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Luck or skill.... scary

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Wow thats pretty scary, good on you for hitting the brakes. Put yourself in the SUV in front, that guy must have had a mad rush, looks like he sped up at the last second to avoid an accident.

Originally posted by ddduke
    Seriously? What shitty advice. Just mind your own business, this didn't affect your life. Accidents happen. Should you be reported every time your speed, jay walk, etc? I understand that there's a good chance that this guy was doing something wrong, but there's also a big chance he was driving with an empty trailer and hit a bump that may have made his trailer bounce and loose control.

You must be one of the people they're talking about in this article:
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/04/29...omplaints-soar
    Well I wouldn't have called the police, but I would have jotted done all the info about the company plastered on the side or rear of this truck including the unit # and license plate and then a call to that company would've been made. I am quite sure that any company worth it's salt would be mighty interested in how it's vehicle are being operated - made such a call just this past week on Monday about a couple of young dudes in a GMC truck that had the company info plastered all over their truck and there they were in traffic, cutting off a fully loaded cement truck and weaving in and out of lanes like the fools they were.

If kids like them can't govern themselves accordingly while operating a company vehicle, then that probably speaks volumes about them in other ways. The truck in the video above - may have been just a fluke thing, but never the less at least a call should be made to the company involved.

My Ride
    E46

Wow that's crazy!
    Lucky the guy in front of you got out of the way quickly as well.

So just curous, how does fishtailing for trailers start?
    I've seen a few videos on YouTube of similiar situations and it just seems like it starts out of nowhere.

TL

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by speedog
    Well I wouldn't have called the police, but I would have jotted done all the info about the company plastered on the side or rear of this truck including the unit # and license plate and then a call to that company would've been made. I am quite sure that any company worth it's salt would be mighty interested in how it's vehicle are being operated - made such a call just this past week on Monday about a couple of young dudes in a GMC truck that had the company info plastered all over their truck and there they were in traffic, cutting off a fully loaded cement truck and weaving in and out of lanes like the fools they were.

If kids like them can't govern themselves accordingly while operating a company vehicle, then that probably speaks volumes about them in other ways. The truck in the video above - may have been just a fluke thing, but never the less at least a call should be made to the company involved.
    might as well inform companies about their equipment. Best case senario they might get him into some drivers training so he knows how to save his ass next time this happens. It's pretty damn easy to stop one of those before it gets out of control, but you have to resist the urge to hammer on the brakes, that's were things really get bad.

Originally posted by Little Dragon
    Wow that's crazy!

I've seen a few videos on YouTube of similiar situations and it just seems like it starts out of nowhere.
    It can start when the trailer is over-driving the truck (Pushing into it). Which is why accelerating can stop this from happen since the truck will pull it back into a straight line. Poorly adjusted trailer brakes are a major cause of this.
    Last edited by Unknown303; 08-10-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    -U

Originally posted by Unknown303
    might as well inform companies about their equipment. Best case scenario they might get him into some drivers training so he knows how to save his ass next time this happens. It's pretty damn easy to stop one of those before it gets out of control, but you have to resist the urge to hammer on the brakes, that's were things really get bad.
    And a call to the involved company might do just that - get the driver some training assuming of course the driver is on good terms with the boss. I've also called in on equipment issues - obvious flat tires on garbage trucks, unsecured loads where there's garbage/crud flying out onto Deerfoot and once had another landscaping company on Deerfoot lose about 6 rakes off of heir trailer one morning in front of my car, such a great thing to try to dodge.

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

Originally posted by flipstah

Holy shit. That was scary.

But I will politely disagree with your post. This is not a minor issue; this poses other lives in danger.

We can argue till the cows come home about levels of deliquency and we won't agree. I'm just saying that you SHOULD report this instance.

The ticketing system is there to act as a deterrent. Beyond that is up to the person.

You wouldn't? I'm scared for you.
    What exactly would you like him ticketed for? Sometimes things like this just happen. Have you ever even hauled a trailer before? There is nothing to deter him from. My buddy was a tow truck driver and was hauling a lunch trailer one day, we checked the trailer out completely before we left( checked out 100% safe as far as we could see) . As we were travelling down the highway at 100 km's an hour the trailer went ape shit and did exactly what his did only we did not spin out we just swayed for about 5 km's fighting for control. All in all nothing was done wrong or illegal by us and therefor the police could not have charged my buddy for anything. The only thing this guy did differently was have no idea how to recover from the trailer sway that happened, it's that simple to the naked eye.
    Granted, he may not have had funtional trailer brakes. maybe his load was off balance, maybe he had too much weight on the ass end of the trailer. Who knows , I don't think you should drag the police out there and tie up a bunch of traffic for it. Just my opinion though.

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

Originally posted by Little Dragon
    Wow that's crazy!

Unbalanced load, bad wheel bearings . Most times a tandom trailer will pull pretty good and not sway. In an event like this with my truck I either would have hammed the gas to tug the trailer straight and then gradually slow down and pull over and check to see if I blew a bearing/tire and look for other possibilities like broken springs or something. The other option if you have traielr brakes is to hit the trailer brakes even that the truck starts pulling on the tongue a bit and straightens out the unit, then slow down and stop and check everything out.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by johnboy27

What exactly would you like him ticketed for?
    I wouldn't necessarily have him ticketed, but I think it would be wise for someone to do a safety inspection on his rig.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    V167

Dood in the left lane did a decent job avoiding that shit. Crazy!!!

My Ride
    2006 Civic Si

Originally posted by nismodrifter
    Dood in the left lane did a decent job avoiding that shit. Crazy!!!
    I agree! He definitely chose a good time to floor it. I think if he had tried to stop, end result would be would different
    Originally posted by King Banana

So confused, how do you get the other menu, is there like a secret chinese handshake, or do you need to bring in a jar of blood from a chinese daughter?
    I need like a how-to - order chinese food for white people.

Fuk! Fuk! Holy! Angelina Jooolie! LoL

My Ride
    oooo

I have had a trailer do that to me, not to that extent though. Bunch of spools of wire and it was heavier behind the axles.

That causes the trailer to lift up on the back of the truck and once it starts the only thing you can do is try to accelerate. If you brake the trailer pushes harder into the back of the truck (which has zero traction on the back tires since it is pulling up) and pushes the truck out to either side. Trailer brakes only or more power is the only thing to prevent that (other than a properly loaded trailer).

That being said when it jack knifed like that the entire back of the the truck is going to be fucked. His office will know when he brings it back to the yard.

I wouldn't call the po-po, but I would email it to the company. Chances are he has no idea what really happened and how easily he could have wiped out a car/bike or caused a major pile up from stopping traffic on Deerfoot. Im sure that everything happened so fast he just hit the brakes and held on. The second he hit the brakes it was all over, even Ken Block wouldn't have been able to save it.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    G6

I somehow think if that happened to me, I'd sure as hell make sure I understood why and how to prevent it from happening again. I'd bet the driver was more shook up then anyone else in the incident. What good is a call to the company? Get the guy in trouble with some HR fucktard in Calgary? All that does is create a beaurocratic headache for the driver. Shit happens, I'd be shocked if the driver of the truck didn't take the incident seriously enough to sort it out on his own...

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by speedog

Now this is a solid answer, I just hate when people's first instinct is calling the authorities. Email the video to the company and let them deal with it. I've gotten calls about one of my trucks cutting someone off or throwing butts out the window and you better believe I give the guys shit when I hear about this.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    Horse

I like how the music seems to accentuate the accident, with the climax of the music and then the slow mellow part when the truck comes to a stop..

Great Cinametography.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-03-2020 at 08:28 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Feruk
    I'd be shocked if the driver of the truck didn't take the incident seriously enough to sort it out on his own...
    I'm shocked he doesn't care enough to make sure he knows what he's doing in the first place.

Maybe a headache from his boss will make him double check everything next time. I'm sure you would be singing a different tune if he had caused an accident.
    Last edited by FraserB; 08-10-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    is Invisible

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I had something like this happen a couple years back. Although not NEARLY as bad.
    My boss loaded up my dump trailer with about a ton of gravel in the back, as I was supposed to get more for the front at the same site.

He changed his mind and decided against it. So I had ALL this gravel lifting up the ass end of the truck. (One of my first times hauling a trailer, so I didn't know any better) The trailer & truck started to sway a bit while on deerfoot, it was within my lane, and I was doing about 30, but that scared the piss out of me. I could see all the cars behind me hitting their brakes preparing for a major accident.

I pulled over onto the shoulder, stopped and shoved as much to the front of the trailer as I could.

That sucked, wont ever make that mistake again.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 08-10-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    I had something like this happen a couple years back. Although not NEARLY as bad.
    My boss loaded up my dump trailer with about a ton of gravel in the back, as I was supposed to get more for the front at the same site.

He changed his mind and decided against it. So I had ALL this gravel lifting up the ass end of the truck. (One of my first times hauling a trailer, so I didn't know any better) The trailer & truck started to sway a bit while on deerfoot, it was within my lane, and I was doing about 30, but that scared the piss out of me. I pulled over onto the shoulder, stopped and shoved as much to the front of the trailer as I could.

That sucked, wont ever make that mistake again.
    Yeah, I've been there too. Working as a landscaper when I was fresh out of highschool and we were towing a dump trailer the boss had loaded with a shitton of gravel right on the front end of the trailer. Caused the back of the truck to sink down and lifted the front suspension. Hit a bump going up a hill at ~80 and the steering went all loosey goosey and the truck immediately swerved across 2 lanes of the road. Really lucky there was nobody on that stretch of road right then or it would have been way worse. Scared the fuck out of me. Definitely learned a lesson about trailering that day.

Half the landscaping/construction companies around town are so fucked. They take on way too much work, hire inexperienced/stupid workers, don't follow safety procedures, and use equipment that's not rated for the heavy job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast