Quantcast
China Airlines vs Air China (YYC to DPS) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: China Airlines vs Air China (YYC to DPS)

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Default China Airlines vs Air China (YYC to DPS)

Looking to go to Bali again this winter. I flew Cathay the last time there, and they were awesome. Their prices right now at $3000 are NOT awesome.

So I found Air China & China Airlines. I'm questioning their awesome. Their prices are SIGNIFICANTLY LESS.

Found this dated thread 4 yrs old..
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/china-ai...=&pagenumber=2

Now I've flown on a cramped airplane before (Air Iberia), and that sucked and it was only 4 hours. I'm concerned that these Chinese airlines have poor legroom.

Secondly, I've kind of been soft with international flights in the past, flying with Qantas, Cathay, & BA.

Will I hate my life on Air China / China Airlines?

I'm 6'1, 200 lbs.

TIA
    Cam
    Last edited by cam_wmh; 08-10-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T Daytona

Both Air China and China Airlines are mediocre. I've flown with both but not long haul on either. Personally, I would choose Air China but the only reason for that is because they are a Star Alliance member and POINTS, BABY!
    Crystal

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Do not take any China airline. You get what you pay for.

The reason why it is so much cheaper is cause:
    1) The plane is mangled to shit and extremely tiny
    2) The food is terrible
    3) Movie/TV selection is non-existent
    4) The worst part is the total travel time... I'm going to bet the China airline flights are 5-15 hours extra compared to the more expensive flights.

It is NOT worth it. I had the misfortune of being forced into flying with Air China, I knew what I was getting myself into based on other's experiences, and yeah, it was terrible.

As a silly side note... this came up on yyc deals today: http://yycdeals.com/ Calgary to Shanghai for $766 but its with China Air. Might be worth the hassle to go with them to shanghai and then another carrier on to Bali

(** I've not flown with either airline, but saw this and your thread at the same time)

My Ride
    NC1

Flew Air China a few times. Highly recommended if you are Chinese.

Chinese food. Hot Chinese girls working. Win Win.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by max_boost

I thought Air China operated out of the mainland, not HK?

We all know hot mainlanders are few and far between....been there myself to know...

I digress, but I flew China Eastern myself and would assume they are all pretty comparible, nothing to write home about...but if its cheap, why not. I did try to book a flight to Japan once and the trip via China Air or China Airline (don't remember exactly) was a ton cheaper, but significantly longer with multiple connections.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Originally posted by Kg810
    Do not take any China airline. You get what you pay for.

The reason why it is so much cheaper is cause:
    1) The plane is mangled to shit and extremely tiny
    2) The food is terrible
    3) Movie/TV selection is non-existent
    4) The worst part is the total travel time... I'm going to bet the China airline flights are 5-15 hours extra compared to the more expensive flights.

It is NOT worth it. I had the misfortune of being forced into flying with Air China, I knew what I was getting myself into based on other's experiences, and yeah, it was terrible.
    Yikes. When did you fly last? To HK or Mainland?

Originally posted by dannie
    As a silly side note... this came up on yyc deals today: http://yycdeals.com/ Calgary to Shanghai for $766 but its with China Air. Might be worth the hassle to go with them to shanghai and then another carrier on to Bali

(** I've not flown with either airline, but saw this and your thread at the same time)
    Thanks for that. I won't be purchasing for a few weeks, and I am considering staying in HK for a 2 or 3 days as well.

Originally posted by max_boost
    Flew Air China a few times. Highly recommended if you are Chinese.

Unfortunately, I'm not Chinese. I'm a plain-ol', un-lined-paper, white guy.

Originally posted by eblend

I thought Air China operated out of the mainland, not HK?

We all know hot mainlanders are few and far between....been there myself to know...

I digress, but I flew China Eastern myself and would assume they are all pretty comparible, nothing to write home about...but if its cheap, why not. I did try to book a flight to Japan once and the trip via China Air or China Airline (don't remember exactly) was a ton cheaper, but significantly longer with multiple connections.

I've "heard" there's quite the contrast between the one operated out of Taiwan & the one operated out of the Mainland. Right now the savings are over $1000.

I've flown with China Airlines(the one based out of Taiwan) a few times and thought they were decent.

Like mentioned in the previous thread, there's was a medium sized tv that was far enough away that you couldn't really see. Didn't matter to me though, since I had my iPod and laptop with me.

The food was ok, normal chinese food. Rice, meat, veggies. Breakfasts were eggs and sausage.

Flight attendents were all young, pretty chinese girls.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Originally posted by bulaian
    I've flown with China Airlines(the one based out of Taiwan) a few times and thought they were decent.

Like mentioned in the previous thread, there's was a medium sized tv that was far enough away that you couldn't really see. Didn't matter to me though, since I had my iPod and laptop with me.

The food was ok, normal chinese food. Rice, meat, veggies. Breakfasts were eggs and sausage.

Flight attendents were all young, pretty chinese girls.
    Seating was average too? I'm somewhat tall, do you think I'll be comfortable? I'm a fairly easy sleeper, except I drool when I sleep sitting up

I'm about 5'10" and 185 lbs and was comfortable enough. Didn't feel cramped or anything. Since the people beside you will likely be Chinese, they'll be small and won't take up much space anyways

I was lucky on one of the flights and got an empty row. I was able to lay down and stretch across all 3 seats and have a solid 10 hour sleep.

I would fly with them again if given the chance. Nothing stood out to make me not want to. Saved about $500-600 by flying with them also.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Originally posted by cam_wmh

Yikes. When did you fly last? To HK or Mainland?
    I flew with them Dec 2010 / Jan 2011. I was travelling to HK.

The total travel time from Calgary -> Van -> Beijing -> HK was a bit shy of 24 hours. Same deal on the way back, 100% not worth the savings.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

check prices to Jakarta

JKT to DPS is a hop skip and a jump, and you can find smoking deals on airasia/lion/garda
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    PA-20,R65ls

FYI...I would never fly any Chinese airline. The planes are maintained to a very low standard and after speaking with several sim instructors who have told me horror stories about training these guys, it scares me. Even flying around here I run into Chinese students who after finishing their commercial pilots licence here (200 Hours) theyll be sitting right seat in some large aircraft....And they can barely handle an uncontrolled circuit....Yikes