Quantcast
c63 amg bow trail crash - Page 17 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: c63 amg bow trail crash

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by clem24
    sentences are served concurrently in Canada.
    yay justice!

What's the over/under on the total defence lawyer costs for this POS? $50,000?

Nice to see a "student" able to afford a high priced defence lawyer. Does he get a student discount?

His Benz will have zero insurance, he's on the hook for both vehicle costs as well? I'd expect the family of those in the truck will be about to launch lawsuits against the POS going forward.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 01-13-2015 at 11:35 AM.

My Ride
    oooo

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    What's the over under on the total defence lawyer costs for this POS? $50,000?

Nice to see a "student" able to afford a high priced defence lawyer. Does he get a student discount?
    About 6 years ago a buddy had a DUI and hired Balfor Dur. He was right around the 10k - 12k mark. And that was just a plain old DUI that was 10 minutes in front of a judge.

6 years later and some real court room time with a fatality mixed in hes gotta be over the 100k mark.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

^ Agreed.

My lawyer (non criminal stuff) is 40K a week for trial and I'll bet that guy is a fair bit more.

Now I am in no way defending this guy at all but were any of us in the same boat, it's laughable to think you wouldn't also get the best defense Lawyer you could. Don't you think? SOME would definitely just plead out guilty and throw themselves in the hands of the Judge but I think the majority would look to self preservation.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 01-13-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

So all in north of $250,000?

Upcoming lawsuit + Weekly anal rape (jail) + Bad karma = Nice life

Can one KickStart a rape fund?

My Ride
    550i, X5

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

His Benz will have zero insurance, he's on the hook for both vehicle costs as well?
    He won't be on the hook for the other vehicle. Insurance must pay for the liability, that's why it is a law to have minimum insurance to drive in Alberta. The insurance company will also have to pay damages to the family etc

However, I believe the insurance company can attempt to sue him to get their money back on the grounds that he breached the contract.

Originally posted by E46..sTyLez

He won't be on the hook for the other vehicle. Insurance must pay for the liability, that's why it is a law to have minimum insurance to drive in Alberta. The insurance company will also have to pay damages to the family etc

However, I believe the insurance company can attempt to sue him to get their money back on the grounds that he breached the contract.
    If the impaired driving charges are withdrawn - I would think the insurance companies have to pay everything no?

If you get a ticket and were determined to be the cause of the accident - that doesn't mean the insurance company doesn't have to pay up for damage to your own car does it? (assuming you have collision coverage).

Although I do remember seeing somewhere that if you're in violation of the road rules, insurance company can refuse to pay you?

My Ride
    550i, X5

Originally posted by avishal26

If the impaired driving charges are withdrawn - I would think the insurance companies have to pay everything no?

If you get a ticket and were determined to be the cause of the accident - that doesn't mean the insurance company doesn't have to pay up for damage to your own car does it? (assuming you have collision coverage).

Although I do remember seeing somewhere that if you're in violation of the road rules, insurance company can refuse to pay you?
    Yep. If the DUI charges are withdrawn, the insurance company has to pay. They only get out of paying if it is proven that you breached the contract, which states you cannot be UI.

I'm willing to bet the sentencing is a joke for this case as well.

Tschetter kills 5 people while drunk and only had to serve two thirds of a 5.5 year sentence - and he's still allowed to drive.
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/06/14...rns-to-freedom

I don't see why this guy would spend more than a couple years in prison tops, even though 25 years to life would be the only reasonable punishment IMHO. The concurrent sentences are also IMHO, one of the biggest jokes in the Canadian legal system.

Obviously we have to wait until sentencing happens, but my mind will be fully blown if his punishment even remotely matches the crime. And that isn't for me to decide, but if you kill another person while hammered, I think any reasonable person would agree it should be fairly severe.

My Ride
    vw gti

Just saw this one on twitter. He's sentenced to 3 years in jail, and a 7 year driving ban once he's out.

https://twitter.com/nancyhixt

What a joke.

And if he had robbed a bank.... what a joke. No driving ban in prison, plenty of guys driving him all day and all night. Safe word: IsMyCarOK.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Interesting, if I rob a bank using a gun and wearing a mask, the punishment will be greater than killing someone, seriously injuring another and refusing to provide a breath sample.

And we all know that 3 years will be less and he won't follow the driving ban.
    Last edited by FraserB; 01-16-2015 at 01:57 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Has AWD

some day our court system will be turned upside down by vigilanties wanting REAL JUSTICE!!! I wait with baited breath.....

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by FraserB
    Interesting, if I rob a bank using a gun and wearing a mask, the punishment will be greater than killing someone, seriously injuring another and refusing to provide a breath sample.
    Man so many chicks on Beyond, thinking with their emotions LOL... Is the punishment shitty? Yes. Yes it is. But the key here is intent.. He didn't wake up thinking he'd kill someone that day, but the bank robber DID wake up and say he was going to rob a bank.

And he probably asked if his car was ok while under the influence. In all it's a totally shitty situation for all involved and yes the sentence sucks. I would've preferred something like a life time driving ban but that would never pass the cruel and unusual test. And more jail time isn't really going to benefit anyone at this point either.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by clem24

Man so many chicks on Beyond, thinking with their emotions LOL... Is the punishment shitty? Yes. Yes it is. But the key here is intent.. He didn't wake up thinking he'd kill someone that day, but the bank robber DID wake up and say he was going to rob a bank.

And he probably asked if his car was ok while under the influence. In all it's a totally shitty situation for all involved and yes the sentence sucks. I would've preferred something like a life time driving ban but that would never pass the cruel and unusual test. And more jail time isn't really going to benefit anyone at this point either.
    There is a lot the judge could have applied in this case. But apparently, 3 years is enough. Even though several of the aggravating factors listed in the CCoC existed in this case

Longer jail sentence, lifetime driving ban, mandatory use of an interlock if he's giving back driving privileges.

I doubt anyone would consider a lifetime driving ban cruel and unusual, he's made it perfectly clear he can't operate a motor vehicle with the slightest degree of responsibility or regard for anyone else. It wouldn't impact him financially or limit his Charter rights either.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

im not sure what an appropriate sentence would be, but it's crazy that possession of coke can net you more years of jailtime than killing someone.

more jail time isn't really going to benefit anyone at this point either.
    This is the key, IMO. A longer sentence doesn't accomplish anything except pushing this guy away from, one day, returning to be a productive citizen. Nobody is going to grab their keys while drunk, remember this case and then choose not to drive.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by Mibz
    This is the key, IMO. A longer sentence doesn't accomplish anything except pushing this guy away from, one day, returning to be a productive citizen. Nobody is going to grab their keys while drunk, remember this case and then choose not to drive.
    BUT.. If they hacked off his hands, chopped off his dick, or publicly stoned him, THAT might just actually deter some.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

A joke of a sentence, shocking.

If jail time doesn't accomplish anything, why bother at all? It helps the victims family knowing that some level of justice was served. Instead, the surviving victim has to go through the rest of his life knowing that the guy who killed his wife while hammered gets a slap on the wrist when the maximum penalty was life in prison. That would be absolutely devastating - just salt in the wound.

If I knew I was going to get 25 years for something FOR SURE (or a punishment like Clem suggests, which I would also support), rather than a very likely chance of serving a tiny sentence, very likely cut even shorter by parole, etc. there is a huge difference in the deterrent level IMHO.

Even when this guy gets out, he knows he can continue his habits, get hammered, kill someone, hire the same lawyer, and probably do another few years tops. If he knew he'd spend the rest of his life rotting in prison, maybe he would reconsider. Maybe he would have reconsidered in the first place if he knew the punishment would have been severe, nobody knows.

If punishments don't fit the crime, they don't act as much of a deterrent. Imagine this guy killed your wife/son/daughter/parents, etc. Would you be cool with 3 years sentence, probably paroled after 1.5-2, and driving again after the short ban? I would be losing my mind. It's not like he just hit a Jay walker by accident.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 LastLast