Quantcast
install short gas line (2 feet) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: install short gas line (2 feet)

Default install short gas line (2 feet)

I need to run a short gas line about 2 feet to my deck so I can hook up to my bbq. Basically you will need to put a T on the current line and then extend it from there. not sure if someone from here has a gas license in order to do it. please let me know if u have any ideas. attached is the picture of the main gas line, and as you can see my deck is next to it.
    Last edited by part4sale; 08-13-2012 at 09:05 PM.

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

I'm looking for the same thing. 2fer deal?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Home depot. DIY. Test it thoroughly and you'll be fine.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

is it legal to do it myself though?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Not a clue. I did mine though.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

No - you can't do it yourself. You need to pull a permit and have it inspected for it to be "legal" in the eye's of the city and home insurance.

The only reason for this is if you were to have a fire and it was deemed to have been started from your bbq, you wouldn't be covered by your insurance and would be responsible to pay out of pocket for any damages. Now can you do the work yourself...sure, but peace of mind is worth a couple hundred to me.

My Ride
    o_O

Originally posted by part4sale
    is it legal to do it myself though?
    No. To alter your gas line like that requires a permit and City of Calgary inspection.

Originally posted by wiph

No. To alter your gas line like that requires a permit and City of Calgary inspection.
    Just to add to this - I don't think a homeowner can pull a gas permit. When I was pulling a homeowner building and electrical permit for my garage, they wouldn't let me pull a gas permit. This was about 5 years ago. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Of course I now realize I'm repeating what ever everyone has said. Sorry for the redundancy...fail on my part.
    Last edited by Hounddog; 08-13-2012 at 10:12 PM.

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

All above is true. Got a quote for $400 to run a BBQ line from gas line in basement.

thanks for all the responses guys, much appreciated!
    I got a quote from a guy and it's $400 as well, I don't think it should be that much since my deck is right next to it.

My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T Daytona

Hey, can you PM me the info of the guy you got a quote from?

I also need to run a gas line and best quote I had so far was $600.

Maybe we should do a Beyond group discount!!
    Crystal

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

thanks for all the responses guys, much appreciated!
    I got a quote from a guy and it's $400 as well, I don't think it should be that much since my deck is right next to it.
    The material is minimal cost for that diameter line and that isn't what you are paying for, it's the permit, the time and enough profit to make it worthwhile.

Personally, I wouldn't want my neighbor to do it himself just because he "can". Usually they're the same guys that "can" drywall and "can" install flooring and when you put their work side by side to an actual tradesmans it's shit. Lots of people "can" do things and it'll likely work but it doesn't mean they should. If you're working with gas, get a permit.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride

One more thing to add. Make sure that whoever you get to do the work, when they go to pull the permit, have them schedule in the city inspection at that time. This is so the city inspector show's up in a reasonable time frame between when the work is done and when the inspection will be done. My co-worker waited almost 8 days for the inspection before he could use his bbq.

Originally posted by Crystalrw
    Hey, can you PM me the info of the guy you got a quote from?

I also need to run a gas line and best quote I had so far was $600.

Maybe we should do a Beyond group discount!!
    It's Gavin Rairie: 403 888 1592.

The material is minimal cost for that diameter line and that isn't what you are paying for, it's the permit, the time and enough profit to make it worthwhile. Personally, I wouldn't want my neighbor to do it himself just because he "can". Usually they're the same guys that "can" drywall and "can" install flooring and when you put their work side by side to an actual tradesmans it's shit. Lots of people "can" do things and it'll likely work but it doesn't mean they should. If you're working with gas, get a permit.
    The thing is for $400, it does not include the permit fee nor anything else. It's just for the labour and material.

My Ride

$120/hr shop rate plus some parts, I just don't see the problem to be honest but maybe that's because I work in construction....
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride

$120/hr shop rate plus some parts, I just don't see the problem to be honest but maybe that's because I work in construction....
    But it wouldn't take more than 2 hours max to do that job. Plus the $60-80 in parts including the pipe, quick connect, valve and paint. I would think that for $400 you should have the permit with that cost. I look back and now realize I had a smoking deal on my last bbq install on my town house ($250 including materials).

Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV

But it wouldn't take more than 2 hours max to do that job. Plus the $60-80 in parts including the pipe, quick connect, valve and paint. I would think that for $400 you should have the permit with that cost. I look back and now realize I had a smoking deal on my last bbq install on my town house ($250 including materials).
    do u mind sharing the contact of the person who installed it? :p. several people here might benefit from it.

My Ride

do u mind sharing the contact of the person who installed it? :p. several people here might benefit from it.
    I do not have his contact info any longer. I certainly would have passed it on, considering what my co-worker ended up paying BBQ's Galore for his install ($700ish). When I moved to my current house I have a buddy who did mine as a side job.

My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T Daytona

I got referred by one of the users on this forum to Protech Gasfitting, and I plan to go with them. Their quote included the permit, was very reasonable, and I liked their style of quoting.

All in all it'll come in at about $450 for me (factoring in the distance that I have to run the line.)
    Crystal

My Ride

Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV

This is true but most people will factor in leaving the shop and returning to the shop, it's easy to eat another hour or so up in traffic I would assume. $250.00 is a smoking deal but I would think $400 is still fair was the only point I was making. It certainly doesn't sound like a bend him over price in any case.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast