Quantcast
New Laptop...Suggestions? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop...Suggestions?

My Ride
    VAG products

Default New Laptop...Suggestions?

Interested in purchasing a new laptop, I've never owned a laptop, usually just worked off of a desktop.

I'll mainly be using it for excel, word, web browsing, occasional movie and downloading music.

I may want to consider getting a few games (starcraft 2, CS: GO)... Nothing too intense.

I'm looking to keep the laptop around a 1000$ "ish" range. Roughly 14" screen.

So far I have been interested in the following:

HP Envy Beats Edition
    dell 14z xps
    dell m14x
    macbook pro

I was hoping to get some personal experience with these laptops some of you guys may have had.. or any other suggestions to laptops that are a good bang for your buck.

Lets hear it!
    Last edited by pf0sh0; 08-14-2012 at 06:44 PM.

My Ride
    2004 Mini Cooper

Every HP I have ever owned had a loose power connector issue.
    Dell is okay once you take out all the bloat apps that are pre installed.
    Never owned a Macbook so I can not comment on those.
    Newer ASUS laptop interest you? I have had good luck with these units....

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

+1 for a 1000$ range ASUS. Dont cheap out.... although I have a 400$ HP refurb laptop that been working great for a year now.

My Ride
    VAG products

I haven't really looked into any ASUS laptops. I've heard good value from them but that's about it. While shopping online I looked at a few ASUS , but mainly stayed away out of ignorance haha.

So far I have been most interested in the HP Envy, great look and well equipped for the price. But again, I haven't had a first hand experience with their laptops.

I've had the chance to check Best Buy and FS for their selection, but it is pretty weak.

This is the Envy I've been looking at as well as the Spectre edition:

http://www.hp.com/canada/products/la...y14_beats.html

Also, it can be found online for roughly 850$ bnib
    Last edited by pf0sh0; 08-14-2012 at 06:44 PM.

My Ride
    VAG products

Originally posted by revelations
    +1 for a 1000$ range ASUS. Dont cheap out.... although I have a 400$ HP refurb laptop that been working great for a year now.
    Yes, that's my main thing, I want a good laptop that will last a couple years basically problem free... which can be tough to find without spending a couple bucks.

On that note, the Macbook is only on my choice list because of the reliability and longevity.

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

i have last years model MBP 14inch w/ intel i5 processor..and it sucks for gaming.. Starcraft 2 sucks on it..

but other then that.. its a good laptop..

Originally posted by pf0sh0

Yes, that's my main thing, I want a good laptop that will last a couple years basically problem free... which can be tough to find without spending a couple bucks.

On that note, the Macbook is only on my choice list because of the reliability and longevity.
    Coming from a guy that does apple repairs on the side....your assumption is false. Most common repair is Disk drives and power supplies. They are pain because they are all integral.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can even repair many things on the new Macbooks, and much of it is soldered down. Depending on what fails, you may need a whole new computer (perhaps to encourage people to buy Applecare?) Also nearly every single person I know with a Macbook (there are a lot of them) have had reliability issues with it.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

I do dislike Apple books, I mean they are nice but they do share their own issues and for software compatibility Windows-based will be a bit cheaper and have wider selection

Unless you are the type to sit at a coffee shop and browse the web all day long and flaunt the laptop, then Macbook is the answer

I would suggest a Dell XPS 13 or 14 Ultrabook

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topi...hs1&l=en&s=dhs

My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T Daytona

Run far away from HP's. I've had nothing but problems with them (mainly hardware troubles) and never had one last longer than a year.

I just bought a Dell XPS14Z and I really like it. I've had one Dell in the past that lasted 5 years and their customer service and repair system works really well.

I can't comment on Apple other than to say that they will not survive getting a cup of water dumped on them, but so far I've only done that test on an Apple so I don't know who to compare that with.
    Crystal

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can even repair many things on the new Macbooks, and much of it is soldered down. Depending on what fails, you may need a whole new computer (perhaps to encourage people to buy Applecare?) Also nearly every single person I know with a Macbook (there are a lot of them) have had reliability issues with it.
    You are 100% correct.

Are you in a rush to purchase a laptop? Unless you are sure you want to purchase a macbook air, I would recommend holding off on any windows purchase.

Ultrabooks are going to be yesterdays news as soon as Win 8 launches(within the next 2 months). Expect a huge wave of hybrid ultrabooks (ultrabook + Tablet) such as the Asus transformer 810, Lenovo Yoga and Acer W510 which will give you the best of both worlds. Most of these will be priced around about the same prices as current ultrabooks.

It will also save you the hassle of having to upgrade to windows 8 and having to deal with driver compatibility issues (this happens with just about every Windows release). Worst case scenario, even if you dont like the hybrid tablets, ultrabook prices are going to tank and if you still want an ultrabook, you will be able to get them significantly cheaper.

Just my 2 cents, but I would recommend waiting if you are going to purchase a windows notebook.

Lenovo is having a sale on their gaming laptop. $899 on a Core i7, GTX 660. You'll be able to run most games on very high settings:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...%3A0000136F%3A

My Ride
    VAG products

I'm not in a rush to purchase one, but the sooner the better!

Yeah, I wasn't exactly sure on the actual reliability of the matchbook's... almost like a word of mouth thing? haha

I do like the Dell as well, they are nice and well equipped for what you get, or so I think atleast.

Those hybrid tablet ultrabooks look pretty slick, but will they be able to handle light/moderate gaming?

Thanks for all the input!!

My Ride
    VAG products

Any inputs on the dell 15r inspiron? came across it after a couple suggestions towards dell. I know its a bit large, but can anyone speak for its portability?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero
    Lenovo is having a sale on their gaming laptop. $899 on a Core i7, GTX 660. You'll be able to run most games on very high settings:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...%3A0000136F%3A
    That one says $1449 now.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I don't know if it would be suitable for gaming but this is pretty slick and a decent price.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/think...-22-a-1215907/
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Don't buy an Apple laptop.

They're extremely overpriced and are a bitch to repair. Note that most hardware repairs on an Apple aren't practically and/or financially viable.

Trust me on this, as I've owned a computer repair business for the last 15 years.

BTW- Apple computers aren't any more reliable than an equivalently hardware based Windows system. Taking into account the sales ratio, my business gets just as many calls for Apple laptops as it does for Window's laptops.

BTW2: Ignore any "reliability" advice unless it's coming from someone who is actually IN the computer repair industry.

Lenovo X1 Carbon Or Asus Zenbook would be my two top choices.

The only catch is that since their screens are so awesome (Especially the Asus), they might have a little trouble playing your games at decent frame rates at native resolution.

The X1's SSD is a little slow (30 sec boot vs 20 for competition) but other than that it's an awesome machine.

Also neither of those machines have ethernet unless you use a USB dongle (usually included) which should be fine.

Also note that the X1 Carbon does NOT have an IPS display, which is a dealbreaker for some.

Another vote ASUS! On my second one and love it, can't be beat for the price. Slapped in a SSD after the fact and its been awesome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast