Quantcast
Printers for digital photos? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Printers for digital photos?

Default Printers for digital photos?

does anyone know if it's relatively efficient, price wise, to buy one of those printers that you can hook up either via usb or sd card and print your own photos with?
    like the regular sized ones (4" x 6" i think?)

if so, can you recommend one? or is it just better to go to walmart or the like and print em off??

i think i would like to print heaps of pictures for an actual physical album before the photos get deleted in the digital world and all my memories are lost

So the question begs to be answered - why would your pictures get deleted in the digital world?

There are numerous ways/places to save your digital pictures and with services like http://ifttt.com/, you can even automate saving these digital pictures in a variety of on-line locales.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

www.smugmug.com, costs money but fantastic for unlimited picture storage among many other things like video clips ect.

Anyhoo, I think you are better off just going to the store and printing stuff out. With a home printer you got to worry about expensive ink, expensive photo paper ect. Find a good source and just get them printer in the store. Most people take alot more digital pictures than they would actually want to have a physical print out of, so it would be cheaper in the long run (no dry ink for example..) to just get it printer in a store. I usually go to those kodak machines in Shoppers and do the instant prints, but there are cheaper alternatives.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I used to have a photo printer. These days I get everything printed at London Drugs. Send the files tot he Moutn Royal location and they are usually printed within a couple of hours. This is the only location I've found that is this fast, otehr locatins take days.

Cost is low, quality is high. Easy solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Sentra

I also used to have a home printer. Now we just use Costco for that. They have sales all the time, 9 cents a pic right now.

Costco for small stuff, www.posterjack.ca for bigger/artistic stuff.

I can't think of a more inefficient or costly method of printing photos than with an inkjet or similar printer designed for home use.

Also, smugmug is a great service (I use it myself), and hard drives are dirt cheap. Alternatively, you can burn images to blu rays and keep them in a safety deposit box if you're really worried.

There is absolutely no need to print photos specifically for archival purposes in today's day & age IMO.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-15-2012 at 09:55 AM.

ah thanks for the responses guys.

i just think it might be kind of cool to have an actual, physical album. something with just great photos in it, not just average ones.

My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T Daytona

I used to store all my pictures on my computer but now I take the time to print out all of the best ones and scrapbook them. I want to be able to hand my kids a book of photos to flip through like I used to do. Digital pictures juts don't allow that!

Anyway, I had a Canon Selphy and it was alright but the cost of replacement ink cartridges and paper is stupid. Also I found that it always printed extra dark so I'd have to adjust the picture brightness before printing.

It's much more beneficial and cost effective to have them printed in the store. I use the WalMart self serve because it's closer to home, or Costco if I'm in that area.
    Crystal