Quantcast
Shoulder strap for rock climbing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Shoulder strap for rock climbing

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Shoulder strap for rock climbing

Really want to take my SLR out rock climbing but I want to make sure it doesn't get banged around too much while I'm climbing. I have this idea where there is a shoulder strap that has a clip to a belt that is on my hip, so essentially the camera will stable on my side and the lens won't smack against the rock when moving. Then when I unclip I can swing the camera around to my front whenever I want to take a shot.

Is this a DIY project or does someone make that?

EDIT: Think I can rig something to my rock harness to make this work.
    Last edited by msommers; 08-15-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Default Re: Shoulder strap for rock climbing

Would you consider a belt pack? Hmm there was a 3Ds video a while back with rock climbing....

My Ride
    my bike

DIY with some webbing straps or a sling with a biner on the end for quick release when/if you want to take a shot. Camera over one shoulder and behind the back, whatever you can make work around the waist with a loop tied to your harness to keep it from swinging around.

I think you have some options for sure.

1) If wearing it on your back is an option, you could just use a sling bag. That is fairly obvious though, so I'm guessing you've ruled that out.

2) Top-load chest harness...I don't rock climb so I don't know if this would get in the way or not:

You can also get chest harnesses without the pack that use a camera plate:

3) Belt:

Spiderpro makes a belt system, but leaves your camera "naked":

http://www.spiderholster.com/single-camera-system.html

4) As for your idea, if you wanted to simply use the strap as intended and then attach something to hold the camera snug against your waist, they make D-Rings that scew into your camera's tripod screw. You could then use that to tether it to your harness with a mini caribeaner or similar for quick release. You could also do it with 2 camera plates as they make camera plates with D-Rings in them. I picture you using the camera strap normally, and then with a little rope coming up from your belt attaching via mini caribeaner to the D-ring on the bottom of your camera, keeping it from swinging around.

5) Camera Armor - I would probably do this anyways, if you think there is even a remote chance of your camera hitting the rock:

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-16-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Saneal sells some harnesses like that chest one shown before. Cotton Carriers, check them out. I've had a couple customers use them for climbing stuff!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Re: Re: Shoulder strap for rock climbing

Originally posted by sl888
    Would you consider a belt pack? Hmm there was a 3Ds video a while back with rock climbing....
    I've seen this before and it's a pleasure to watch again. I was actually trying to find it yesterday so thanks!

Originally posted by 98type_r
    DIY with some webbing straps or a sling with a biner on the end for quick release when/if you want to take a shot. Camera over one shoulder and behind the back, whatever you can make work around the waist with a loop tied to your harness to keep it from swinging around.
    This is kind of what I did. I found a padded camera strap and have the strap across my body. I've made it long enough that it can JUST be tight enough to where I've anchored on my harness. In the back of the harness, there is a gear loop for your chalk bag. I used an S-biner I had at home that is super tight on the gear loop and clip that into my tripod plate. Hopefully it doesn't get covered in chalk and these D300s are supposed to be dust proof so we'll see how it goes lol.

The front mounted stuff is too difficult unfortunately. A backpack/sling is awesome for uses like in the video but to get up there first and then maybe descend to get a decent shot could still be awkward.

Couple photos (sorry no towel bar for scale) but it's a very basic system, attached at the back. The only thing I don't like is that the little tab on the tripod plate moves. I've looked into a fixed replacement piece but these stupid things are like $20+ for a piece of metal with a hole in it!

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version

Potential replacement piece:

click for larger version
    Last edited by msommers; 08-16-2012 at 06:06 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/fr-t1/

this is the one to use w/ rc2 qr plates, but do read the reviews on them or try them if possible

Check out the Luma Labs Cinch. Might be the strap you're looking for.