Cyclocross / Hybrid bikes. Was: 2013 trek CrossRip - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cyclocross / Hybrid bikes. Was: 2013 trek CrossRip

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default 2013 trek CrossRip

What do you guys think?
    http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes...ness/crossrip/

Now that I have been riding to work, of course I am looking for a new toy.

What I really want is a fully carbon bike with discs but no one seems to make that yet. This seems like a happy compromise.

I have been riding my madone 5 days a week and love the solid and connected feel of the bike. I also rode my mountain bike again last night to the park near my house to retrieve something my kid left behind. I noticed the suspension fork right away. I noticed the knobby tires right away. I noticed the weight of the bike, right away. I could go on and on.

What are you guys' opinions on mechanical vs hydralic discs. Keep in mind that this will be a winter beater of sorts.

Also, what is the best Trek dealer in town? Any hook ups? I bought my Madone at CC, but I just noticed last night that my rear cassette is a 105 instead of Ultegra. It was supposed to be a complete Ultegra bike. Not impressed.

My Ride
    2013 4Runner

That bike looks sweet. I'm pretty noob at cycling so I can't help you much but my GF and I went to cycle path and she picked up a trek bike from there. Not a road bike, but it looks like they have a decent collection of trek bikes so that one might be there.

As a commuter I don't see why discs are all that important...I commute all year even through the winter and never once has disc brakes ever crossed my mind as being a requirement.

Personally, only having a sora group on it would already push me away from it.

how about coming down to bow cycle and checking out the jake the snakes? 2013's have disc brakes

My Ride
    my bike

^ not a fan of the sora either. I have it on my current commuter and sort of waiting for the shifters to die so I can replace it with at least 105.

As for your cassette, it's very unlikely that they swapped it out at the shop. Bike manufacturers do change the spec sometimes, I remember when I worked at a shop there was this bike we saw three different cranksets on in the same model year. Are you sure it was FULL Ultegra, my bike was spec'd with Dura Ace all around with an Ultegra cassette?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Here is the spec.

http://www.trekbikes.com/za/en/bikes...chive/madone52

With the cross rip, I was going to upgrade it all to 105 or ultegra.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

When I was looking for a bike, seemed that Cannondale still had the edge on AL frames. I love my CAAD10, when you want to go it goes and overall the vibration isn't bad at all. The reviews at the time said it was the best designed AL out there and even Cory at TCR really likes the CAAD series which says a lot.

As for your comments, I'm not really sure how to interpret your intentions. I mean first you say:

What I really want is a fully carbon bike with discs
    and then end with the caveat:

Keep in mind that this will be a winter beater of sorts
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by msommers
    When I was looking for a bike, seemed that Cannondale still had the edge on AL frames. I love my CAAD10, when you want to go it goes and overall the vibration isn't bad at all. The reviews at the time said it was the best designed AL out there and even Cory at TCR really likes the CAAD series which says a lot.

As for your comments, I'm not really sure how to interpret your intentions. I mean first you say:

and then end with the caveat:

Do carbon and winter not mix?

Originally posted by bigboom

how about coming down to bow cycle and checking out the jake the snakes? 2013's have disc brakes
    I would, but I see no discs:
    http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?co...ke_the_snake#1

Discs are not important, but I want them. I know they weigh more, but it is a want, not a need. haha.

Edit: Looks like it is the Jake, and not the Jake the snake with discs. Can you hook me up with a deal?

sorry...i meant the jake

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=jake

of course the one drawback to this is there is no carbon fork which the crossrip does have.

full carbon with disc...

http://volagi.com/bikes

also next year specialized is coming out with a crux carbon disc if you want to hold off till then, not to mention their roubaix line will have a bike with disc on it.
    Last edited by bigboom; 08-17-2012 at 11:54 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Do you work there?

Originally posted by benyl
    Do you work there?
    yup

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

What is the price range on te volagi?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Do carbon and winter not mix?
    It's not the temperature that you have to worry about (aside from grease setting like a rock when it's really cold) but all the crap on the road like salt. The chances of having a spill are higher as well and I'd hate to drop a full carbon bike. It's like driving a Ferrari in the winter. I mean, ya you could, but why would you want to? Because you can? Your call but to me, spending that kind of money on a winter beater is nutzo. Spend the big bucks on quality clothes.

As for the Kona bike, I'd opt for the Jake the Snake over the Jake (despite it having the disc brakes you're keen on). The drivertrain is better and has a carbon seat post and fork, where you'll notice a difference. Calgary pathways are anything but flat all the time so really, it might not make that much of a difference at all (another reason why full carbon won't help either).

I would love to see a test between disc vs. mechanical on a road bike. Both lock up amazingly well because you don't have the huge amount of weight behind it like on a mtn bike. My bet, they perform exactly the same in terms of braking power and disc weighs more.

These responses may come off as condescending but that's not my intention, just trying to save you some bucks.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by msommers

It's not the temperature that you have to worry about (aside from grease setting like a rock when it's really cold) but all the crap on the road like salt. The chances of having a spill are higher as well and I'd hate to drop a full carbon bike. It's like driving a Ferrari in the winter. I mean, ya you could, but why would you want to? Because you can? Your call but to me, spending that kind of money on a winter beater is nutzo. Spend the big bucks on quality clothes.

As for the Kona bike, I'd opt for the Jake the Snake over the Jake (despite it having the disc brakes you're keen on). The drivertrain is better and has a carbon seat post and fork, where you'll notice a difference. Calgary pathways are anything but flat all the time so really, it might not make that much of a difference at all (another reason why full carbon won't help either).

I would love to see a test between disc vs. mechanical on a road bike. Both lock up amazingly well because you don't have the huge amount of weight behind it like on a mtn bike. My bet, they perform exactly the same in terms of braking power and disc weighs more.

These responses may come off as condescending but that's not my intention, just trying to save you some bucks.
    jake the snake does not have a carbon seat post, just a carbon fork. if you're using it mainly for commuting you wont really notice, you really start to notice when you take the bike out for 1+hour rides.

the few situation where disc shines is if you are riding in inclement weather, i just dont know if id put it as a priority on the list. riding in winter and bad weather disc actually helps with stopping and prolongs the life of your wheels because you arent wearing out the brake track.

carbon is actually a great winter material...theres nothing in carbon that would make it corrode, the only thing is the cost makes it impractical for most.

The trek seems like a pretty sweet bike but maybe consider a kona dr. good or the higher end dr. fine? Internal geared hub, no clogging up with ice or snow and they have disc brakes.

Also regarding disc brakes, I'd say they are superior to any rim brakes because you don't have to worry about wearing out your rims. Particularly in the winter when they wear out pretty quick from all the dirt and grime they collect on them.
    Last edited by Moonracer; 08-17-2012 at 02:04 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Valid points about the disc brakes.

Yeah carbon isn't even reactive to corrosion and works well in cold weather. AL gets some oxidation but doesn't really "rust" conventionally although over time untreated can cause structural damage. I mean if money is no object sure, go titanium too if you want. Just a personal thing to spend that much money (even if it was laying in the couch) and to subject it to those conditions, all the while not even sure if you want to/can handle Calgary weather while biking.

In terms of corrosion, your components like chains and cables are going to rust way before your frame ever does unless you have big scratches or gouges and then you'll have bigger problems anyways haha.

Let us know what you buy, genuinely curious how this ends up.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by Moonracer
    Internal geared hub, no clogging up with ice or snow and they have disc brakes.
    This should be more of a requirement than a need for winter. I got used to squeaky gears last winter, but would have loved to have internal gears and belt driven.

If not, then I wouldn't put anything over Tiagra on the bike and just replace and repair when needed. Things seize up and maintenance is constant.
    Last edited by phreezee; 08-19-2012 at 12:01 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by phreezee

This should be more of a requirement than a need for winter.
    Is the gearing on an 11 speed Alfine short enough to climb hills?

Remember, I have to ride from downtown to Aspen.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Ok, let's talk about other options here.

I have yet to ride any of these bikes, but here are some more options that I am considering.

1. Specialized Tricross Comp disc http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...ompdisccompact

May or may not come to Canada as this is only on the US site.

2. Specialized Tricross Elite disc http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bik...iscapexcompact

Components aren't as nice and I would want to upgrade the BB5s to BB7s (it seems that everyone loves BB7s).

3. MEC cote http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...cle-unisex.jsp

Full tiagra with BB7s

Any other suggestions?

My Ride
    my bike

Odds are that the TriCross Comp will be available in Canada. Specialized generally doesn't exclude models from Canada we just get a crappier website.

I'd take either one over the MEC cote, nothing against the MEC bike, I'm just not a fan of Tiagra components, and dislike how it has a triple ring crankset.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Is the gearing on an 11 speed Alfine short enough to climb hills?

Remember, I have to ride from downtown to Aspen.
    With traditional gearing you have a lot of overlap in your ratios due to having front and rear derrailers. Certain sprocket combos are going to be really close to each other making an 18 speed bike have far less than 18 distinct ratios.

With an internal hub, they are all evenly spaced, thus more usable, 11 speeds is quite a bit and will have no problems in all city situations.

I'm definitely keeping my eye open for good belt drive/internal hub options for winter, I never clean my bike properly in winter because when I get home, I just want to go inside and relax. It's not like summer when you can throw it on the lawn and take the hose to it.

The only problem with belt drive is your frame selection gets pretty limited as you have to be able to open the rear triangle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast