Quantcast
Getting keys made - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Getting keys made

Default Getting keys made

So, I'm likely picking up a used door for my car. The door I am getting does not have a key though. Is there a shop someone can recommend that can make a key for that door, or better yet, make the door match the key I already have for the car?

My Ride
    2000 blazer lt 4x4

google some locksmiths and ask them ?

Default Re: Getting keys made

Originally posted by Chantastic
    So, I'm likely picking up a used door for my car. The door I am getting does not have a key though. Is there a shop someone can recommend that can make a key for that door, or better yet, make the door match the key I already have for the car?
    assuming you aren't driving around w/o a door at the moment why can't you just swap lock cylinders over?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Locksmith is the only place that can re-code your lock cylinder so that you only have one key for all doors.

Otherwise, as someone has mentioned, swap out the lock cylinders.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Horse

heads lock and key.. call them
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Yeah most if not all locksmiths can make a key for you using the existing (key-less) lock.

Otherwise they (or you) can just swap out the key tumbler.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My driver door is the damaged one, but since I ended up picking up a pair of doors, I think I might replace the passenger side as well. My current passenger door lock is completely seized and has a chunk of a key stuck in it anyway.

It might actually just be better to get a new key made for the doors.

Thanks for the responses

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Locksmith can take the key-code from either your ignition cylinder or your trunk cylinder and re-code the door cylinders that way. Its up to you if you don't mind having 2 sets of keys.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

I just got the door off, and managed to get the door handle/key tumbler out. If I can manage to swap it into the new door, win!

It was a lot easier knowing that I didn't need the old door though, I just bent/broke everything to get the handle out