Quantcast
Spoons' World Tour - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spoons' World Tour

Default Spoons' World Tour

I'm finally going to indulge Beyond on my ultimate goal and path in life, as well as look to you guys for support and suggestions on where to go. This is MY PLAN. This isn't a thread for you to start discussion on how you don't agree with my life decisions. Please be constructive as I know there are a lot of you on here that are fascinated by this. I don't need to hear how you think it's impossible, because nothing is.

Basically most of my life, the aspect of adventure has always been my drive. It's the reason I snowboard so much, because it takes me to weird places I'd otherwise never go. Finding a career thus has been everything but easy. I've taken engineering, dabbled in a electrical apprenticeship, you name it, I've pretty well done it. And most places I find I quickly get the hang of it, get bored, and eagerly want to get a new job to see what new adventures hold.

I was raised in a low income family, where extravagant exotic vacations were unheard of. I'm 23 and still have yet to even leave the country (yes not even the US). So I have taken it into my own hands.

My girlfriend told me to read the book Vagabonding, and it fit me perfectly. I've always measured my wealth on personal experiences and the enjoyment I find in life, not the amount of success and money I hold. It also made me realize that I should stop kidding myself and take the plunge. Work in a means to afford you to get to places and see new things. Not work to get you places when your 60 or for only a few weeks at a time.

Starting next year I will be starting my world tour. The trip will be a work in progress as I go but here is a rough plan thus far:

1) Work construction, tree planting, anything really in BC. Make as much money as humanly possible. My main goal in this is to get out of debt. Work the entire summer, make a bunch of money and clear myself free of all debts. This is why I brought up bankruptcy, but I decided to take it into my own hands.

I want to start my trip, but I can't leave until I'm debt free. But this way I get the best of both worlds since I love BC.

2) After next summer, if money allows, I will ride Whitewater (if I end up in Nelson) all season long. No job, no responsibilities, just ride. If money does not allow to not work, I will look into becoming a ski patroller or possibly a guide.

3) After the riding season I will work a bit, enough money to get me to Italy. I have friends that are moving there to work with family, so I will plan on meeting them there. Here I will work, learn Italian, and experience what Italy has to offer. This will be my base of operations for the European front of Spoons' World Tour.

4) Once it gets old in Italy, I will then venture off into Europe. Basically I want to see it all. Work odd jobs here and there, or if money allows, just travel.

5) Number 4 will bring me to March of 2014. March I will head to Alaska, where I plan to spend the Alaskan ski season riding there. I'll ride there till May (or whenever the season comes to an end).

6) I then plan to acquire a VW van. I want to hit this one up in style, and because those VW vans are dirt cheap to fix and pretty reliable. I plan on road tripping it from Alaska to Santiago, Chile. This one will be an adventure probably full of lots of set backs, but I plan on stopping at places in BC and along the west coast of US, doing whatever seems fun. If anyone has seen brothers on the run, that is my inspiration for this.

7) End up in Chile for the remainder of their ski season and ride that.

8) To be determined.

It's going to be a challenge, and tough at times, but this fits me perfect. For once I actually feel comfortable knowing that I have something set out. Of course money is a factor in this, there are plans for all this but far too complicated to go into great detail of it all. In the end, I'm just not a career orientated person, and I'm not changing any time soon. So this feels great.

Mainly I'm positing this because I feel a few of you will be interested, as well as suggestions. Fun places you guys liked and I can take them into consideration on my travels.

Discuss.

Hey man, this sounds awesome! I wish you the best of luck, and if I have to give any advice, it would be that seeing as you have basically planned out the next 2-3 years, don't get caught up on making that exact plan work. If it doesn't, something better will happen instead.

As far as places I would recommend: Central America.

Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

Originally posted by arian_ma
    Hey man, this sounds awesome! I wish you the best of luck, and if I have to give any advice, it would be that seeing as you have basically planned out the next 2-3 years, don't get caught up on making that exact plan work. If it doesn't, something better will happen instead.

As far as places I would recommend: Central America.

Central America would be included in the road trip down to Chile.

Definitely none of this except for number 1 is set in stone. This is just a rough outline on what I want to do, but it won't necessarily (and probably won't) happen in that exact fashion.

My Ride
    05 Civic

Looks like a good plan. I am envious of this, because I still have another couple of years of school until I can think about doing something like this.

I really want to do the ski bum thing too, but I would suggest looking into a ski shop job instead of a patroller guide. From what I have heard, you DONT want to be working on a big dump day, which most ski shops get off from my experience.

Good luck!

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Sounds like you're going to get really good at applying for workers visa's or really good at working hard labor under the table.

I'd suggest saving up as much money as your patience will allow before leaving. A lot of the places you are planning on visiting (most of Europe and Central+South America) are going to pay you pennies for the work you do compared to Canada.

I can't imagine how sweet it would be to ski bum it for a whole year though.

Also will you have a companion for this trip? Sounds like you might get a little lonely? I dunno driving long streaches alone gets to me.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 08-20-2012 at 02:52 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

couple things i would consider:
    -from now till next spring work on the damn rigs!

-once you have 6 months under your belt research some towns in BC. rent vs own type research. find a town you like for your summer plan that has a huge variance in rental vs own pricing (trust me, you will find one) buy a place there that could be a good rental. it will save you money for your summer thing. plus working the rigs you can live there too since you will have a 2 on 2 off or 3 on 1 off schedule. this will also give you a nice buffer for the rest of your trips for having monthly cash coming in

-look into what family you have from the EU and research getting a EU based passport. this will be handy on many levels. (mainly getting let in when you have no financial ties to canada and are unemployed)

Originally posted by dj_patm
    Sounds like you're going to get really good at applying for workers visa's or really good at working hard labor under the table.

I'd suggest saving up as much money as your patience will allow before leaving. A lot the places you are planning on visiting (most of Europe and Central+South America) are going to pay you pennies for the work you do compared to Canada.

I can't imagine how sweet it would be to ski bum it for a whole year though.

Also will you have a companion for this trip? Sounds like you might get a little lonely? I dunno driving long streaches alone gets to me.
    Pick up who ever wants to come along the way. It wouldn't be a World Tour without some groupies amirite?

Next summer moving will be with a pal of mine. Same with the trip down to Chile.

I imagined and planned to work under the table for quite a lot. In Italy my main plan is to work at my friends family restaurant in Florence. It would be all under the table there.
    Last edited by Spoons; 08-20-2012 at 02:52 PM.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

work the rigs, you will make double the money you do tree planting in BC.

in a full winter season if you save every penny, and work 5 week hitches from time to time, you will have a very healthy bank balance come spring.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

Originally posted by ercchry
    couple things i would consider:
    -from now till next spring work on the damn rigs!

-once you have 6 months under your belt research some towns in BC. rent vs own type research. find a town you like for your summer plan that has a huge variance in rental vs own pricing (trust me, you will find one) buy a place there that could be a good rental. it will save you money for your summer thing. plus working the rigs you can live there too since you will have a 2 on 2 off or 3 on 1 off schedule. this will also give you a nice buffer for the rest of your trips for having monthly cash coming in

-look into what family you have from the EU and research getting a EU based passport. this will be handy on many levels. (mainly getting let in when you have no financial ties to canada and are unemployed)
    Good advice, I like this. My plan was having a loan in Canada with money put aside that pays it off automatically. Basically saying that I am indeed still financially tied to Canada and not plan on NFAing it.

I want to avoid the rigs if at all possible. I'm trying to do this with as little interference with snowboarding as possible, and my job currently pays me well enough to start planning for this.

I can handle construction, but leaving the town for periods of time into a shit hole... Don't care how much the money is. I'd be down right miserable (even if it meant this awesome trip in the future).

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

have you even seen the camps up north? 5 star resorts. they have to be so they can retain people. you might have to quit the pots for a little while... but thats about it

plus a full week off means still 7 days a month on the hill... that as much as you would get doing a 9-5 in town

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

The company I work for has an unreal camp lol.

Steak And Lobster dinners every Wednesday, Golf simulator, hockey rinks, fishing/canoeing, full size gymnasium and work out facilities and the office jobs are one week on - one week off and on top of it your make almost double.

Trust me I'd kill to work at site.

Originally posted by ercchry
    have you even seen the camps up north? 5 star resorts. they have to be so they can retain people. you might have to quit the pots for a little while... but thats about it

plus a full week off means still 7 days a month on the hill... that as much as you would get doing a 9-5 in town
    Hmm this now intrigues me.

I'd have to run it by the girlfriend. She's coming back from 5 months away in Europe only for me to be leaving for 2 weeks at a time. She's quite possibly included in on this plan.

She has needs that run daily if you catch my drift hahahahahahaha.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Spoons

...She's coming back from 5 months away in Europe...

She has needs that run daily if you catch my drift hahahahahahaha.
    Who was giving it to her in Europe?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by dj_patm
    The company I work for has an unreal camp lol.

Steak And Lobster dinners every Wednesday, Golf simulator, hockey rinks, fishing/canoeing, full size gymnasium and work out facilities and the office jobs are one week on - one week off and on top of it your make almost double.

Trust me I'd kill to work at site.
    I worked at site and I'd rather take a paycut than go back.

Even though you eat like a king and enjoy the spoiled life, I couldn't stand being away from the city. And civilization.

You can watch TV when you're done work but working 10-12 hrs/day, you just wanna fuckin' sleep so you don't miss the tram to work.

I also worked 10 on/4 off, which sucked.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

If you are planning on doing Alaska to Chile, read this.

http://theroadchoseme.com/

Along the left side under "Countries Visited" is the breakdown of his trip.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by blitz

Who was giving it to her in Europe?
    I don't know someone she met I think. We agree'd upon this before she left. I got a hall pass summer, it's pretty awesome. Me and her talk all the time though.

Originally posted by flipstah

I worked at site and I'd rather take a paycut than go back.

Even though you eat like a king and enjoy the spoiled life, I couldn't stand being away from the city. And civilization.

You can watch TV when you're done work but working 10-12 hrs/day, you just wanna fuckin' sleep so you don't miss the tram to work.

I also worked 10 on/4 off, which sucked.
    I'm not much one for the city anyways, but I'm also not much for barren tundra's either.

Originally posted by FraserB

Thanks I'll definitely give it a read. I've been reading a ton of travel journals lately researching.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 07:55 PM.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Originally posted by FraserB

Came here to post this.

Good luck with your trip man. I've always wanted to do that same drive.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Freightliners, Van Diemen, Porsches, URAL!

Drop me a line sometime. Happy to share some experiences that may help you decide on your own plans.

I worked as a guide for the first ten years - basically got paid to travel. Went into the wine business after that and travelled that way for another ten years.

Been living the travelling life for many years.

I just came back from driving Calgary to Chile/Argentina, then we got bored and continued into Africa and Europe.

www.smilesandmiles.com

If you have the chance there is a Horizons Unlimited meeting in Nakusp this weekend Aug 24-26

There will be 200 people there talking about exactly what you want to do - there is a huge knowledge and experience base in that group, I'll be speaking on Central and South America as well as food around the world.

Check it out:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

Just remember everyone will tell you how dangerous, how stupid, how expensive and how everything it is. You will never regret going, you will only regret not going. Opinions are just that, mine included.

Cheers
    Miles
    Last edited by milesmcewing; 08-20-2012 at 05:48 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Wow. Cray-Z stuff. Good luck.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast