Quantcast
Apple vs Google - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple vs Google

My Ride
    05 Civic

Default Apple vs Google

I knew this day would come. I can’t say that I hoped for it, but in all honesty, it was inevitable. Apple has been very busy lately in doing all it can to ban as many Android devices as it can, and HTC, Samsung, and Motorola have all got a small taste of the Apple juice lately. But something has changed: Google now owns Motorola, and aren’t wasting any time in defending their new acquisition, as they are now seeking a sales ban on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac computers in the US. This time, it’s personal, and contains a twist that could make this particular lawsuit a very dangerous one for Apple.

This is the first case that Google has signed off on in defending their new hardware company, meaning that there’s no more lurking in the background providing support. This is full on Google with their lawyers directly involved, and with the Big G not only watching, but acting. But Google and Motorola were clever. This isn't a lawsuit that deals with silly topics such as icons or square shaped tablets.

Google and Motorola are filing patent infringement for non-standard essential patents. To put it simply, Google-rola has filed a case for a patent/patents that courts cannot legally force companies to patent, meaning that if they win this case, Apple could be forced to completely stop using the patent in their devices.

We don’t have exact confirmation on which Wifi related patent is in question here, but we do know that Motorola attempted to reach licensing agreements with Apple (since 2010), which Apple apparently refused. Motorola stated that:

“We would like to settle these patent matters, but Apple’s unwillingness to work out a license leaves us little choice but to defend ourselves and our engineers’ innovations”.

This is a big one for Google and for Apple. This isn’t just an OEM that Apple is dealing with now. This is one of the most powerful (if not THE most powerful) movers and shakers in the world. If this comes to trial, Apple will have its hands full, and might even be forced to rely on Microsoft for backup.

The patent wars involving Android and Apple have now reached a new level, and with Google in the center, I have a feeling that things could get very very ugly for the companies that have sought to ban Android products.
    http://www.androidpit.com/google-vs-apple-android

This isn't looking very good for Apple. As much as I would like to see Apple's dumb lawsuit to bite them back, I hope this doesn't become a trend. At least this lawsuit seems more legit.

Guess we won't know until they release more info.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Steve Ballmer:

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Hope Apple gets owned.

Instead of the standard, "Google sues Apple" headline, I saw one that read, "Man bites back at dog"

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Originally posted by ZEDGE
    Hope Apple gets owned.

Last edited by Cos; 01-02-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Originally posted by v2kai

x3
    I especially like that google didn't start this battle. apple pulled google in with their over zealous corporate greed.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    LHD CYM R1 FD3S

Originally posted by syritis

x3
    I especially like that google didn't start this battle. apple pulled google in with their over zealous corporate greed.
    x4
    That's the best part!

Sort of reminds me of this vid:

Woot! Hope I never see the iPhone 6 with slightly better camera and resolution.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Cos
    Jesus. I couldnt quite follow what they are suing for? I mean this line, putting it quite simply, didnt put it quite simply to me:

So does that mean that Motorola developed something that they decided not to patent because the courts cannot force them, yet they are going after them for non-standard patent violation? Would that be like USB or Firewire patent violation?
    I think that should have said "be forced to license". Some patents are considered "standard-essential patants" (I think that's the term) in that they are part of a standard (ie part of the USB standard). Standard-essential patents have to be licensed if requested, for instance if Motorola had a patent on that part of the USB standard and Apple wanted to use USB, Motorola couldn't just say "go to hell, use something else," they would have to license the tech to Apple and a court could force them to do so. The patent in question is not a standard-essential patent and as such Apple is using the tech because they want to, not because they have to use it to comply with a standard. They have apparently refused to license it, even though Moto owns the patent, hence the lawsuit. That's how I understand things, anyway.

My Ride
    Bicycle

This has been brewing for awhile. It is exactly how Motorola pitched the sale. Google is already slowly let Moto die, they only want the patents to bite back.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by Xtrema
    This has been brewing for awhile. It is exactly how Motorola pitched the sale. Google is already slowly let Moto die, they only want the patents to bite back.
    They are still pumping out Android phones. Pretty nice ones too.

My Ride
    Z

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I think that should have said "be forced to license". Some patents are considered "standard-essential patants" (I think that's the term) in that they are part of a standard (ie part of the USB standard). Standard-essential patents have to be licensed if requested, for instance if Motorola had a patent on that part of the USB standard and Apple wanted to use USB, Motorola couldn't just say "go to hell, use something else," they would have to license the tech to Apple and a court could force them to do so. The patent in question is not a standard-essential patent and as such Apple is using the tech because they want to, not because they have to use it to comply with a standard. They have apparently refused to license it, even though Moto owns the patent, hence the lawsuit. That's how I understand things, anyway.
    that helped a lot. The article was terrible.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Jesus tittie fucking Christ no matter who wins we as consumers are going to lose. Shit will cost more. The only people profiting are the lawyers.

Last edited by Cos; 01-02-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by Nitro5
    Jesus tittie fucking Christ no matter who wins we as consumers are going to lose. Shit will cost more. The only people profiting are the lawyers.
    This, thank you shitty US patent law
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

By the time the case is over, Apple will be on Iphone 9, which gives them plenty of time to change over their technology.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    4x4

If Apple hadn't been on a warpath to try to ban every android device - chances are none of this would have happened. You can thank steve jobs for that.

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2012/08/20/google-motorola-mobility-slaps-apple-with-siri-complaint/

Back in April the US International Trade Commission ruled that the famed iOS smartphone and tablet company did indeed infringe on a Motorola patent to do with WiFi signalling, and the USITC is preparing its final ruling on the matter that will consider a key issue involving ‘standard essentials’ tech patents that cover basic features. However apparently Apple is arguing that issues over just what is fair and reasonable terms should be decided in a federal court as the USITC can’t award damages.
    this article's pretty decent too:
    |http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...hone-case.html

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    By the time the case is over, Apple will be on Iphone 9, which gives them plenty of time to change over their technology.
    Surely Apple isn't dumb. When you tell a company to go fuck themselves over technology they claim to have patented, you can bet on a lawsuit coming your way so I'm assuming if it was as simple as you suggest, they would have done it by now.

What did Apple expect to happen when they started fucking with everyone? Did they really expect Google to sit on the sidelines?

God I hate them sooo fucking much. I'm so glad their market share is dwindiling.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 08-22-2012 at 08:09 AM.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Fyi, the Wifi Patent case is old. I think the OP article is talking about this:

http://www.zdnet.com/motorola-mobili...an-7000002853/

Google might just end up being forced to licence the wifi patent but this new case is about non-essential features which would not be considered standard and hence, they wouldn't be forced to licence it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast