Quantcast
Waze App. - Outsmart Trafffic, anyone try this? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Waze App. - Outsmart Trafffic, anyone try this?

Default Waze App. - Outsmart Trafffic, anyone try this?

http://www.waze.com/

Seems like you need lots of people to make this thing work well. But the concept is great. Compiles data from drivers and figures out where the traffic is the least.

Meet Waze - a fun, community-based GPS traffic and navigation app.

Join forces with drivers in your area, easily report what's happening on the road and get turn-by-turn navigation that automatically re-routes you when road conditions change.

That way everybody's commute gets faster and safer. Smart, right?

I use it regularly. I find it works pretty well... but sometimes it doesn't route me around traffic very well.

I encourage everyone to use it, the more that use it, the better it works.

You can also report police speed traps and road hazards (stuff on road or pothole) which has helped me a few times.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

Google Maps Traffic already does pretty much the same thing - Waze just seems to have added more features, but features that would be deemed to be illegal to use here in Alberta with our distracted driving laws. Biggest problem with Google Maps Traffic or Waze will be the data being consumed to provide these two way services although Google Maps now lets you download sections of maps eliminating the need for your phone to be constantly downloading maps as you move. Never the less, I have found that Twitter is still a better real time feed of what's happening out in traffic.
    Will fuck off, again.

Google Maps Traffic definitely doesn't do any re-routes although I suspect it wouldn't be hard for them to do.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Horse

started using this today, works pretty good. I like how the app updates automatically from your speed.

like stated above, the more people use it the way better it would become.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by speedog
    Google Maps Traffic definitely doesn't do any re-routes although I suspect it wouldn't be hard for them to do.
    I don't know how Waze do it but Google map data seems to be pretty useless around rush hour. Everything lead out of the core is red.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I don't know how Waze do it but Google map data seems to be pretty useless around rush hour. Everything lead out of the core is red.
    Google Maps Traffic is only as good as the number of people who have their cell phone's GPS on as well as the Google Maps (or at least I think that's maybe how it works) - probably not much different than the base Waze app. I have found the Google Maps Traffic to be a bit slow as compared to real time conditions and have found #yyctraffic on Twitter to be a better source of timely traffic info - often a check of both before starting my 32km cross-city commute helps me avoid most major slow downs.
    I'll give Waze a whirl tomorrow morning to see how it does.

Bump - tried Waze and found it wasn't of much use. Maybe not enough people reporting into it. Still find a combination of Google Maps traffic, AM radio updates (660/770) and Twitter to be the best info.

Of note, Google did buy Waze so it will only be a matter of time before it'll integrated into Google Maps and with that user base, it will most likely become a better tool.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ what he said.

I drive during off-peak times around the city and found Google maps an invaluable tool. I tried Waze last year but there just wasnt enough data.

Also, I find Google maps about 5-10 minutes behind, which is understandable.

Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Legacy Spec B

I've been using it for about a year. The traffic updates on it are a little slow. The best use it I've found is when people report accidents/red light cameras an police.

Also if I need to find a place I revert to Google maps. Waze's navigation has led me astray a few times...

My Ride
    2013 Raptor

Originally posted by Xtrema

Google map data seems to be pretty useless around rush hour. Everything lead out of the core is red.
    Sounds about right to me. Same with Glenmore from anywhere near 5 St toward Sarcee westbound, from about 3pm till sunset. Or Metis northbound from 80 St, or southbound south of Country Hills, or....

If only people in this kerfrickin' city would learn how to merge properly.

found off the twitter link.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I have found tomtom traffic service works super well and it quantifies all the traffic issues with a time and recalculates if detouring is quicker then asks you if you want to change etc.

Bought the app on a 60% off sale 3 iPhones ago and they just keep adding new features.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Google maps traffic is what I use, I find it's pretty darn handy. There's about 3 or 4 different routes I can take home from work, and it's easy to choose which one I want to take based on what maps says checking it 5 minutes before work's over.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

Bump - so Google bought Waze a while back and now one can see Waze updates on Google Maps when Google traffic is turned on. The Waze updates seem to quite timely and acccurate.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Grimace

Yes, i have noticed in google now, it will show me waze data if there is an accident on my regular route which is great.

My Ride
    This and that.

Maybe I will give this a go now.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by schocker
    Yes, i have noticed in google now, it will show me waze data if there is an accident on my regular route which is great.
    Wonder how many reports for it to trigger?

If I keep reporting accident on Crowchild, will that divert traffic to 14th St or vice versa to keep less people on my route?

There's gotta be a way to game this.

Is all the data coming from Waze app or is there some sort of bluetooth tracking that Google is using for vehicle speed averages on any given route?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast