Quantcast
The unfounded fear of Muslim immigration - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The unfounded fear of Muslim immigration

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

No fear is ever "unfounded". It even said in the article that kebob shops replaced fish and chips shops; that the population did shift to hijabs and beards. Someone who is not comfortable with that arrangement is neither bad, nor a KKK member.

I feel like the people who are unquestioning about these things are the least tolerant, as they're not researching the issues and instead, spending those efforts on hating.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

Originally posted by thetransporter
    Brilliant.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Someone I know from Syria, his kid is almost 6 and knows NO english what so ever. His dad refuses to speak it at home, and his mom doesn't know any English either. They recently got divorced, so hopefully this changes.

F'd up.

Edit: I should add, the guy I know moved here when he was a kid, and he's 30ish now, so it's not like he's new to the country, and he speaks both languages fluently. He just refuses to teach his child English.
    I refuse to speak English to all 3 of my kids. I speak only Cantonese to them. The moment I start communicating to them in English, it will become their preferred language of communication. My 4 year old is proficient in both Cantonese and English. He picked up English from pre-school, TV, and hanging around the neighborhood kids. I have no worries that he won't learn English. I have huge worries that he won't learn Cantonese.

My parents did the same to me: we immigrated here when I was 6. I had ZERO English in my vocabulary at the time. They thought WTH and threw me into French immersion. For 12 years. They refused to speak to me when I spoke to them in English. Now, I am proficient in English, French, and oral Cantonese and am very happy at what they've chosen.

Same with my wife except she's CBC. And took 9 years of Chinese school.

Absolutely nothing fucked up about it...
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

How is your parents' English?
    Originally posted by clem24

I refuse to speak English to all 3 of my kids. I speak only Cantonese to them. The moment I start communicating to them in English, it will become their preferred language of communication. My 4 year old is proficient in both Cantonese and English. He picked up English from pre-school, TV, and hanging around the neighborhood kids. I have no worries that he won't learn English. I have huge worries that he won't learn Cantonese.

My parents did the same to me: we immigrated here when I was 6. I had ZERO English in my vocabulary at the time. They thought WTH and threw me into French immersion. For 12 years. They refused to speak to me when I spoke to them in English. Now, I am proficient in English, French, and oral Cantonese and am very happy at what they've chosen.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by urban.one
    How is your parents' English?
    Dad is fluent. Mom knows enough to get by.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    2010 G37x

Originally posted by clem24

+1, in my experience it's a common practice among immigrant families. I do the same to my kid as well.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

My parents did that with me, but not so much with my sister.
    she still understands everything but she only speaks it when she goes back to visit family in Poland and the few weeks after that.

I would love to speak polish to any kids I have in the future, the problem is marrying polish...

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

Originally posted by dj_patm
    I would love to speak polish to any kids I have in the future, the problem is marrying polish...
    ....?

Every polish girl I know is hot....
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Originally posted by 1barA4

....?

Every polish girl I know is hot....
    Thats the problem

Haha there just isn't that many of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2