Quantcast
No More Night Classes for IT Programs? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: No More Night Classes for IT Programs?

Default No More Night Classes for IT Programs?

I work full time as a Network Analyst and I really want to get my diploma finished, When I called SAIT their IT diploma is not available for night classes or online I tried everywhere in Calgary seems like only DeVry is the only place which I do not want to go to.

I can take the Athabasca U CIS Degree but I love networking and would rather just focus on that then programming and all the other stuff.

Is there anywhere you guys recommend I take a diploma?

I have 9 Months Experience In the Industry

ask them for course that will carry over for the courses needed to finish your diploma.

what courses are you missing?

How'd you even get a job as an network analyst without an diploma? Just curious, also have you thought about the Network Technician fast track program?

If you've already got experience as a NA then why do you want to finish your diploma? There's a good chance that a cert will be just as valuable in a "Well at least we know you know how to ping" sort of way.

Originally posted by temptazn
    How'd you even get a job as an network analyst without an diploma? Just curious, also have you thought about the Network Technician fast track program?
    You don't need a diploma degree for IT work.

It's an asset. Just get your certs

IMO experience and knowing your shit trumps the diploma/degree

My Ride
    ED-7

Originally posted by GQBalla

Until he decides he wants to relocate to another country. Ran into this problem and it sucks big time. But again, i'm not in an industry that is available in Calgary or Alberta.
    Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I swear he was thrown into the ditch by the VTEC sonic boom.

I was under the impression that most other countries want degrees, not 2 year tech school diplomas. Do they just want some formal education?

Originally posted by GQBalla

You don't need a diploma degree for IT work.

It's an asset. Just get your certs

Fair enough, and I totally agree that experience and knowledge goes way further than holding Certs/diploma or a degree. It's just that from when I was job hunting I noticed posting said some sort of post secondary education was required.
    Last edited by temptazn; 08-28-2012 at 08:59 AM.

I got the Job cause I shown the the knowledge I already knew and passed all the technical stuff plus I interview very well and have a great personality so they thought I'd make a great fit.

I was thinking of doing the Cert route instead of the Diploma/Degree but I heard you can't be management until you have one.

I want to Do my CCNA for now should I just take this at SAIT? or Self Study?

Well if you already know a good chunk about routing/switching and what not, I suggest you just do some self studying to brush up on certain things and go write the Cert. As for going into management without having a Diploma/Degree I'm not sure, but generally I think they might look for someone with a Diploma/Degree. But if you know what your doing and show leadership skills, I'm sure you can make Team lead, after that sky's the limit.

If you want to be a manager then stop worrying about tech skills and start working on management skills. Take business and management night courses, I'm sure they're plentiful.

Awesome I think I will change my major then from Computer Science in Athabasca since it doesn't cover anything networking related to Business Management and take some Certifications to make my networking skills better that combined with the degree hopefully should get me close to where I want.

I also want to do PMP that is why I want to pursue the degree.

Is the SAIT CCNA Course worth it?

I'd call that a really solid plan.

Pick up a Cisco study guide for the CCNA and try to learn it yourself. If you find yourself struggling with the material or lacking motivation then definitely sign up for the SAIT course.

Use the CCNA and your experience to work a few years and learn the industry. Even if you end up hating IT then you'll still have an education that can be used in every other industry and changing career paths won't be difficult.

My Ride
    ED-7

Originally posted by Mibz
    I was under the impression that most other countries want degrees, not 2 year tech school diplomas. Do they just want some formal education?
    I assumed so as well, but it also varies by country and by the job. Taking the US for example, they allow Graphic Designers to work in the US as a canadian citizen under the NAFTA agreement provided they have 4 years experience + related post secondary.

Since Graphic Design isn't a major in any reputable university, the only way to show post secondary in this field is to have a diploma.

So to sum up, it depends on the country and it's requirements. It's most important first to get a company who will sponsor you.

Also most countries do require a minimum length of 2-4 years documented previous experience.
    Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I swear he was thrown into the ditch by the VTEC sonic boom.

Originally posted by Mibz
    I'd call that a really solid plan.

Pick up a Cisco study guide for the CCNA and try to learn it yourself. If you find yourself struggling with the material or lacking motivation then definitely sign up for the SAIT course.

Use the CCNA and your experience to work a few years and learn the industry. Even if you end up hating IT then you'll still have an education that can be used in every other industry and changing career paths won't be difficult.
    Any Recommendations on Books I can get the company to pay for CBT Nuggets and The Books and a Lab Setup just need to pick them out

Can't really help you there. I learned everything from SAIT and work experience. Right now I use the Cisco Press books to study for new certs and then Google whatever I can't wrap my head around.

A lot of people in my classes used CBT Nuggets videos and said they helped a lot.

I'm not sure you need a CCNA lab setup if you've got access to equipment at work, but I honestly don't remember too much about CCNA at this point. I think it's also had two or three iterations of change since I wrote mine.

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Originally posted by dollarbillz
    I got the Job cause I shown the the knowledge I already knew and passed all the technical stuff plus I interview very well and have a great personality so they thought I'd make a great fit.

I was thinking of doing the Cert route instead of the Diploma/Degree but I heard you can't be management until you have one.

I want to Do my CCNA for now should I just take this at SAIT? or Self Study?

WDF? to Above Quote I didn't say I didn't get lucky I did but it's not like I don't know Jack about networking. Unless your talking about my Bad Sentence and Double "The" sorry that is what you get from posting from the iphone

Thanks for the suggestions Mibz I'll start off with the CBT Nuggets then.
    Last edited by dollarbillz; 08-28-2012 at 01:31 PM.

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Originally posted by dollarbillz
    WDF? to Above Quote I didn't say I didn't get lucky I did but it's not like I don't know Jack about networking. Unless your talking about my Bad Sentence and Double "The" sorry that is what you get from posting from the iphone

Thanks for the suggestions Mibz I'll start off with the CBT Nuggets then.
    Haha. I'm just having fun.

Originally posted by Boat

Haha. I'm just having fun.
    Well I prefer batman anyway :P