Quantcast
best place to get some prints done locally? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: best place to get some prints done locally?

My Ride
    rally pig

Default best place to get some prints done locally?

where does everyone go locally to get their prints done?

I used to go to the Beddington LD but they over-exposed 2 of my shots so I don't trust them anymore.

I'm just looking for 4x6 or 5x7 prints. Maybe 8x10 at times.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Costco. Cheap, fast, and surprisingly good.

My Ride
    rally pig

needs membership to print with them right?
    but definitely cheaper than LD as well
    might do that next time my parents go there.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah unfortunately you do.

Get their membership number and create an account and upload it via the web before they go:
    http://www.costco.ca/PhotoCenter/Pho...oto&lang=en-CA

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Walmart online to ensure they use the big machine rather than the standalone kiosks. A lot of times I'll get the pick up email within hours.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    R50

Excuse me while I highjack... But generally, which resolution/dpi is good for giving someone higher-res files that he might choose to do prints off of?

I recently helped shot at my friend's wedding for fun. I want to burn everything onto a DVD so he can use it as wallpaper, do some prints, or whatever he wants right. Now, I usually export at 1024 (long edge) at 240dpi for web/facebook sharing. What would you guys recommend I should use for someone elses's big day? TIA!

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by cdnsir
    Excuse me while I highjack... But generally, which resolution/dpi is good for giving someone higher-res files that he might choose to do prints off of?

I recently helped shot at my friend's wedding for fun. I want to burn everything onto a DVD so he can use it as wallpaper, do some prints, or whatever he wants right. Now, I usually export at 1024 (long edge) at 240dpi for web/facebook sharing. What would you guys recommend I should use for someone elses's big day? TIA!
    DPI has nothing to do with the computer screen or the digital file, DPI is the resolution of the print heads on the printer. You can print a 100pxl image at 72PPI on a printer that prints 800DPI

An image set up for computer wallpaper needs to be set up completely different from a file that will be used for print.

On a computer screen a pixel is a pixel, if you have a desktop resolution of 1280x720 there is no need to size the image any larger than this. The actual pixel count is all you need to be concerned with.

Now, for print it is a totally different ballgame.
    For print you want to take the raw image and note how many pixels it is.
    You need to adjust the size (in inches) to be the size of the print you wish to print while at the same time increasing the PPI to the largest you can while not exceeding the original pixel count, usually 300 is okay for print. You need to adjust the PPI until you have a total pixel count which matches or comes close (but not larger) than the original pixel count of the image.

For example:
    You have an image that is 8000x4000 pixels @72 PPI

For a wallpaper you want to scale this image to 1280x720 for example and leave the PPI @ 72

For print you will open up the resize dialog box
    it will show the size as being 106x53 inches roughly
    and 72 PPI

You will resize this image to your desired print size, for example:

Pixels: 8000x4000
    Size in inches: 10.6x5.3 inches
    PPI: 750 (overkill, 300-400 is the most you will need)

caveat:
    different electronic devices will have different resolution.
    if it's just a standard computer monitor, 72PPI is usually standard
    If it's an iPhone 3GS for example, the resolution is 163PPI
    Last edited by Modelexis; 08-31-2012 at 11:03 AM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    R50

Never knew it was that complicated. But thanks man, your example really helped. If I understood correctly, I just set the document size to whatever actual inches x inches I want. Then adjust the PPI (not DPI as I had gotten that confused) so that the pixel dimension goes back to roughly where it had to begin with.

This is sure is an art form, really glad there are experts like yourself on beyond! Thanks Modelexis!

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Yeah, what Modelexis said.
    In general for 8" x 10" and smaller, 300 DPI is good. So aim for 2400 x 3000. (8" x 300 and 10" x 300).

For larger prints like 2' x 3', it's generally accepted that ~150DPI is okay since you'll most likely be standing much further away while viewing. So 3600 x 5400 (24" x 150 and 36" x 150) if they want the large poster size.

Don't worry too much about PPI VS DPI, the first is for screens where pixels are involved and the second is for print where dots are involved.

Since you're asking about prints, DPI is what you need to get right. But if you get your files to the recommended sizes, the shop should be able to get things right for you.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by cdnsir
    Never knew it was that complicated. But thanks man, your example really helped. If I understood correctly, I just set the document size to whatever actual inches x inches I want. Then adjust the PPI (not DPI as I had gotten that confused) so that the pixel dimension goes back to roughly where it had to begin with.

This is sure is an art form, really glad there are experts like yourself on beyond! Thanks Modelexis!
    I think you have the basic idea correct.
    If you know the maximum pixel resolution your camera shoots at you can calculate the maximum size you can print it at while keeping a nice sharp image with no visible pixels. This will make it easier to judge sizes when you want to go make prints, you will kinda know your limits.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."