Quantcast
RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs - Page 14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 14 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast

Thread: RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by codetrap
    This is the other mod I did last summer. Put a switch between my two golf cart batteries. Great for ensuring that I don't drain them down when I'm not using the trailer.
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Where did you get that switch? My battery box is actually two separate boxes for the two batteries, but I think I may be able to hook something like this up, depending on it's measurements. Do you have a link to the specs for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Where did you get that switch? My battery box is actually two separate boxes for the two batteries, but I think I may be able to hook something like this up, depending on it's measurements. Do you have a link to the specs for it?
    I have the same one and I bought it at princess auto. I use it with two 6v batteries and its inline with my positive terminal.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 10:55 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Anyone know the size of the little tent trailers that seem to only have one half that slides out for the bed? Saw some on the drive back from Nelson (and camping in the truck bed), and was interested. Can't seem to find much details on them.. Would love a Boler, but hard to spend $5-7k on something that is 15 years older then me.

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    Anyone know the size of the little tent trailers that seem to only have one half that slides out for the bed? Saw some on the drive back from Nelson (and camping in the truck bed), and was interested. Can't seem to find much details on them.. Would love a Boler, but hard to spend $5-7k on something that is 15 years older then me.
    I have a Triple E Surfside, very similar to the Trillium trailers back in the day and I would have to say they are worth every dollar if your looking for something easy to tow and little setup. There is a reason why they sell for that price point. If you keep an eye out and are quick and don't mind doing the work you can get the odd one that needs work for cheap. Mine is a '74 and I've had lots of people offer to buy it from me for more then I paid for it. There's a decent shape Trillium in Red Deer right now for $4750.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Just bought our first trailer, 2001 8 foot Jayco Quest. Pretty excited to get it out there, hope to before it gets too cold.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 02:27 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hey, was doing a little maintenance over the weekend, and now I'm looking for parts.

Does anyone know where you can buy the little rubber caps that go on the end of Dexter EZ-Lube axles? I think they are the same as the little rubber caps that go on the end of Rockwell Posi-lube axles, although I'm not certain.

This is the sort of thing I assume I should be able to find cheaply online, but haven't had any luck. Replacement parts are made by the main manufacturer, as well as a couple knock-off brands (Al-Ko, Tie Down Engineering and others).

Seems insane to pay five bucks a piece for simple rubber plugs. Princess Auto sells Rockwell metal drive-in end caps that include the rubber plug for about $13/2pk.

I really should tear down my axles and inspect the brakes and bearings, but that'll have to wait for a while. No rest for the wicked.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Before I started this job, I only checked one of them, and it looked pretty decent, just a little cracked. Turns out that was the best of the bunch. The rest are destroyed. Figures.

Seems like the best deal I can find is some american seller on Ebay, a Five-pack for $8 plus $33 shipping to canuck-land. Brutal.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by Cos
    ^^ awesome, sounds like what Unknown303 had. We went camping and he was in that thing March - October. Doesn't even feel it towing behind his truck and so easy to move around.
    Ya it weighs maybe 1000lbs. Pretty pumped. Not huge but it's only me, the girlfriend and the mutt.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Good idea, not sure how much shoulder season we'll do, mostly cause we don't spend much time in powered campgrounds. Now to become far more mechanically inclined and figure out how to repack bearings and all that.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, after not seeing anything reasonable online, I dropped by Hobo Camper Country today. They sell these Dexter EZ-Lube / Rockwell posi-lube rubber caps. $5 each, so still not exactly what I'd call a reasonable price, but I guess it's better that a local store gets my money than UPS. They are really pretty helpful there. Nice folks.

These ones are made by Lippert, which is interesting, because I wasn't aware Lippert made a hub/bearing system of this type. They seem to make everything else though.

I've got a jam packed September, so my last tow of the season is this weekend.

My Ride
    2005 F350

got on top of my roof last weekend and looks like I need to reseal around all my vents and skylights. all the sealant is cracking already... this job is gonna suck.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Was going stir crazy this weekend with the trailer sitting in the garage, so got fed up and headed out for the night on Sunday for the first trip with the little tent-trailer. Glad I re-sealed all the caulk on the top, as she rained pretty hard all night. Was a complete bitch to get a fire going, but have to love free fire wood campgrounds. When we left around noon yesterday, we were the only campers in the entire place. Perks of shitty-weather camping.

Repacking the bearings worked well, no heat on the hubs from what I could tell. Battery worked well, however the connections were a little rusty, and power turned off in the night, which killed the furnace. Made for a chilly morning. Playing with the connections to make it work seems to have set the furnace off. Fan works, and the pilot light comes on, however cycles back off immediately (I suspect the sail-switch, any other ideas?). Nothing like cold air blowing when its near 0 out. So guess I'm pulling the furnace cover off and figuring that out, as well as changing the battery connections.

Oh, and it towed awesome. Couldn't be happier with the size.

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    ... Was a complete bitch to get a fire going, but have to love free fire wood campgrounds...
    Say WHA??? Where's THAT?!!

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Gotta go find it yourself, this place is a gem. Like I said, only people there, we're not giving it up that easy! Easy enough to find places with free firewood. You pay a bit more per night, but definitely get ahead when you're using ~$40 of firewood a night
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 09-08-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 02:19 PM.

Page 14 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast