Quantcast
RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs - Page 74 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 74 of 102 FirstFirst ... 64 73 74 75 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 2031

Thread: RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs

  1. #1461
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary,AB
    My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    The freezing cold is really bad for batteries. I had a couple of brand new AGM batteries that I stored outside all last year (inside my trailer) and they both went bad. This year I have taken the one battery from my new trailer and stored it inside. I think also if you store it in your basement you should elevate it off the concrete floor. And keep it on trickle charge/maintainer if possible - I havent yet started doing this as it was fully charged when I brought it inside.

  2. #1462
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Edmonton
    My Ride
    LNF
    Posts
    411
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I leave mine on trickle charge. I park in my own yard though. If I was leaving it at a storage place, I'd take it out and bring it home.
    Thanks man. I will take them out. They have been charging from the camper being plugged in at my shop while I rebuilt it so I will take them out and winterize this weekend.

  3. #1463
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Unemployment Line
    My Ride
    Sierra, RDX
    Posts
    2,719
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The freezing cold is really bad for batteries. I had a couple of brand new AGM batteries that I stored outside all last year (inside my trailer) and they both went bad. This year I have taken the one battery from my new trailer and stored it inside. I think also if you store it in your basement you should elevate it off the concrete floor. And keep it on trickle charge/maintainer if possible - I havent yet started doing this as it was fully charged when I brought it inside.
    You won't hit the temps required to freeze a fully charged battery, less charge means the freeze point is warmer and that's when issues happen. Unless you have a drain on it, you don't need to trickle charge it over the winter in your basement. They can also be stored on concrete, modern batteries aren't porous and won't absorb moisture.

    I do pull my batteries even though I have solar, the snow cover on the roof will eventually block the panels and with the draw from the fridge and stereo, they will eventually discharge.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

  4. #1464
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Left Coast
    My Ride
    '18 GMC Sierra, '18 Yamaha MT07
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    This is my first year owning a trailer that should be be winterized, however I've also moved to a place where the average daily temp never falls below zero (it still does go below zero overnight sometimes in dec/jan). A few people locally suggested that I just need to blow out the lines out instead. So I ended up hooking up my compressor (40psi) to my trailer got out probably 4L of water in total from all the taps (separately on hot, and cold), and on the external lines. Having never done this before... am I overly optimistic about that being all I need to do or is there something else to consider?

  5. #1465
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,427
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    On the Island, you'll want to think about dehumidifying as well, or it'll get musty. Something like this at a minimum, and check it often

    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/d...-0790014p.html

  6. #1466
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    335d, GP2, P71
    Posts
    6,414
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Thanks for the reminder, I left my car battery I used for my electric jack in my trailer and I should go pull it out before it gets really cold.

  7. #1467
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Left Coast
    My Ride
    '18 GMC Sierra, '18 Yamaha MT07
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the Island, you'll want to think about dehumidifying as well, or it'll get musty. Something like this at a minimum, and check it often

    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/d...-0790014p.html
    Good call - I will pickup one of those!

  8. #1468
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sidewall Town
    My Ride
    Sidewall
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Dollar stores carry dehumidifier stuff as well for way cheaper.
    Beyond 2020 keychain fundraiser is ACTIVE
    Choose a number from the list and PM me for info.
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/413...nd-ca-Keychain

  9. #1469
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    My Ride
    GMC Sierra
    Posts
    1,392
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hampstor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is my first year owning a trailer that should be be winterized, however I've also moved to a place where the average daily temp never falls below zero (it still does go below zero overnight sometimes in dec/jan). A few people locally suggested that I just need to blow out the lines out instead. So I ended up hooking up my compressor (40psi) to my trailer got out probably 4L of water in total from all the taps (separately on hot, and cold), and on the external lines. Having never done this before... am I overly optimistic about that being all I need to do or is there something else to consider?
    Pour some antifreeze in the traps in your drains. Drain your hot water heater as well.

  10. #1470
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sidewall Town
    My Ride
    Sidewall
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    On Van Island I wouldn't necessarily worry about the batteries, if they are either hooked up to some kind of maintainer, or 100% physically disconnected. In Calgary, yeah, get those indoors and charge them fully when you store them.
    Beyond 2020 keychain fundraiser is ACTIVE
    Choose a number from the list and PM me for info.
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/413...nd-ca-Keychain

  11. #1471
    Thaco's Avatar
    Thaco is online now sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Rage2
    Posts
    3,706
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    at 0* even if the water does freeze it'll never freeze hard enough to cause issues, you need sustained -10 for several hours to really have any sort of concern.
    User title molested by Rage2.

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

  12. #1472
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    985
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dollar stores carry dehumidifier stuff as well for way cheaper.
    Holy shit - I didn't know that!!
    Thanks!

  13. #1473
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    My Ride
    GMC Sierra
    Posts
    1,392
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    at 0* even if the water does freeze it'll never freeze hard enough to cause issues, you need sustained -10 for several hours to really have any sort of concern.
    Assuming he lives on Vancouver island?... it definitely gets below zero there. I've seen a couple nights in a row at -10C, usually right around Christmas. But that's about as cold as it gets, lucky bastards...

  14. #1474
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sidewall Town
    My Ride
    Sidewall
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Holy shit - I didn't know that!!
    Thanks!
    I've posted it previously in this thread.
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/359...ar#post4821536
    Beyond 2020 keychain fundraiser is ACTIVE
    Choose a number from the list and PM me for info.
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/413...nd-ca-Keychain

  15. #1475
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Left Coast
    My Ride
    '18 GMC Sierra, '18 Yamaha MT07
    Posts
    1,341
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sxtasy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pour some antifreeze in the traps in your drains. Drain your hot water heater as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtasy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Assuming he lives on Vancouver island?... it definitely gets below zero there. I've seen a couple nights in a row at -10C, usually right around Christmas. But that's about as cold as it gets, lucky bastards...
    What does pouring antifreeze down the traps do? I'm in Victoria and apparently on average there are 5 days a year that the lowest temperature is below -2. I asked a few people who have lived here and -10 overnight is very rare.

    https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php

  16. #1476
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sidewall Town
    My Ride
    Sidewall
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    In Victoria, or anywhere low elevation on the island, you don't really need anti-freeze.
    Beyond 2020 keychain fundraiser is ACTIVE
    Choose a number from the list and PM me for info.
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/413...nd-ca-Keychain

  17. #1477
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,427
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Regardless of the weather, filling your p-traps with antifreeze is a good idea, because otherwise the water may evaporate and then you get the grey water stank.

  18. #1478
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    985
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Victoria, or anywhere low elevation on the island, you don't really need anti-freeze.
    I disagree and I used to live there.
    I actually froze an engine and it buggered my radiator once. I forget why I only had water in it - much like I forgot that I only had water in it, at the time! LoL! I don't know how I got away without a ruined engine.

    Although it's certainly rare to have prolonged freezing periods, I would definitely perform a winterization procedure on a trailer.

  19. #1479
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    My Ride
    GMC Sierra
    Posts
    1,392
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I lived there for seven years. I remember there being a couple of nights around the -10 mark, but it is pretty rare. I'd say you'll be fine with just blowing the lines out. And as previously mentioned, humidity and the moss crap that collects on everything will be your biggest problem. We also had to deal with rats out there, little shits love to chew on everything including wiring.

  20. #1480
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sidewall Town
    My Ride
    Sidewall
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a clear line in mine, I fill to that. Any "smart" charger like noco or ctek should be fine, they all have some kind of "repair" function. I don't know how necessary or effective that is, but I use it anyway.

    I charge them again when I put them into storage, no matter what. They don't drop much in storage, nowhere near 50%, but I charge again around Christmas and once when I get them out of storage.
    Topped up the distilled water and hooked my batteries up to the noco on the "repair" setting.
    Beyond 2020 keychain fundraiser is ACTIVE
    Choose a number from the list and PM me for info.
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/413...nd-ca-Keychain

Page 74 of 102 FirstFirst ... 64 73 74 75 84 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DIY Vehicle Restoration - Tips/Tricks/Tools

    By zipdoa in forum Mechanical
    Replies: 9
    Latest Threads: 10-29-2015, 08:57 PM
  2. Computer tips and tricks everyone should know

    By rufi0 in forum Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 07-08-2013, 08:56 PM
  3. iOS 5.0 tips/tricks/problems

    By C_Dave45 in forum Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics
    Replies: 129
    Latest Threads: 01-22-2012, 02:11 PM
  4. Fallout 3 - Tips/Tricks ***SPOILERS***

    By A790 in forum Video Games
    Replies: 513
    Latest Threads: 01-11-2010, 10:23 PM
  5. Tips and Tricks for focusing at night?

    By 89coupe in forum Photographer's Corner
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 06-12-2009, 02:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •