Quantcast
RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs - Page 79 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 79 of 150 FirstFirst ... 69 78 79 80 89 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 2998

Thread: RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

K.I.S.S. principle is a great way to run your life. I can support that. Slides do wonders for interior room, but not a necessity by any means.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I have owned 5 trailers since my early twenties, 3 with multiple slides. Not one has had a single issue. The key is maintenance. They are a bit more work in that regard by IMO the trade off is huge real estate. My current has 5 and operates like the day it was bought. People that complain about them generally dont do any maintenance on them.

But, to each their own.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I always associated slides with park models in my head for some reason. I think anything you can do to minimize setup is a good thing personally.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    I have owned 5 trailers since my early twenties, 3 with multiple slides. Not one has had a single issue. The key is maintenance. They are a bit more work in that regard by IMO the trade off is huge real estate. My current has 5 and operates like the day it was bought. People that complain about them generally dont do any maintenance on them.

But, to each their own.
    Maintenence was the issue with mine. Simply didn't know, so didn't do any. Learned a little about how picky the schwintek slides are to inadequate lubrication. I pay more attention now.

Not saying they can't be reliable, but it's an extra point of maintenence or failure.

Also, 5 slides, I'm betting that beast is bigger inside than my first apartment. Sounds awesome.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Second that, nothing but good experience

My Ride
    4x4

Depends on the configuration and use.

5 slides, never leave pavement you may never have a problem.

Hit fire road with that - and you're going to have problems.

Those smaller trailers with just the bunk sliding off the back, or the dinette sliding a short distance out - not so bad...

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Maintenence was the issue with mine. Simply didn't know, so didn't do any. Learned a little about how picky the schwintek slides are to inadequate lubrication. I pay more attention now.

Not saying they can't be reliable, but it's an extra point of maintenence or failure.

Also, 5 slides, I'm betting that beast is bigger inside than my first apartment. Sounds awesome.
    It’s pretty great but a little much sometimes lol. It’s a lot of maintenance vs a smaller unit but we spend many weeks in it and have room for guests/friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Depends on the configuration and use.

5 slides, never leave pavement you may never have a problem.

Hit fire road with that - and you're going to have problems.

Those smaller trailers with just the bunk sliding off the back, or the dinette sliding a short distance out - not so bad...
    I camp crown all the time. It’s no pavement queen.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Pulled the trigger on a Cruiser RV Shadow Cruiser 220DBS Got a good deal and it's got all the features we were looking for.

So ummm now what?

- Planning on ordering a flexible 100W+ solar panel kit and permanently installing it on the roof. Good idea?
    - What else do I absolutely need?
    - Anyone care to recommend any easily accessible, reasonably close crown land spots they could suggest? Seems almost impossible to book anything on Alberta parks.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

100w isn't a lot. Are you planning to bring a generator? What is your battery setup?

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

For now just a single 12V as that was included but I plan to get two 6V's soon. Really just using the batter & panel for lights not planning to run a microwave or AC off it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you go 6v, the Costco golf cart batteries are good bang for buck. You'll get larger capacity, but also they are less easily damaged by deep discharge.

I like solar, and I support solar. Just for me, I always knew I'd end up carrying a generator anyway, so the money for solar was kind of a waste. Everyone's situation is different.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Thanks for the tip ES.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you want to talk RV solar vs generator, I could discuss it for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Pulled the trigger on a Cruiser RV Shadow Cruiser 220DBS Got a good deal and it's got all the features we were looking for.

So ummm now what?

- Planning on ordering a flexible 100W+ solar panel kit and permanently installing it on the roof. Good idea?
    - What else do I absolutely need?
    - Anyone care to recommend any easily accessible, reasonably close crown land spots they could suggest? Seems almost impossible to book anything on Alberta parks.
    I agree with Extraslow. Money is better spent on a generator. That said, i have both. I run the generator only when i need 110v for something and the solar keeps things topped up otherwise. I wouldn't get a fixed panel though. Go with something portable. Half the time you are in the shade so you will have to move it to a spot where you will get sunlight. I also agree, 6v batteries are ideal but if you can afford them, lithium are in a whole different league.

For other essentials rhino hose, toss the garbage they give you. Unless you are 6 point hydraulic, get x-chocks. They are awesome at stabilizing the trailer shake.

Of course, a good hitch but im sure that is already covered.

My Ride
    LNF

A generator is definitely a easier way to go and cheaper (600$ at Costco). I went 300W Of solar with two 6V Costco batteries and a 1000W inverter. Cost about 1200$ and I wired it all myself. This is for a truck camper and I did not want to deal with hauling a generator or having to be plugged in.

I’d definitely suggest upgrading your batteries to the Costco 6V golf cart batteries.. also, do you have a external solar connection? If you do, I would skip the flexible panel (not as efficient) and get a portable one and you can just hook it up and angle it when you need it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Keep in mind, for any "small" solar setup, you won't be able to run Microwave, Air Conditioning, or any of the AC plugs. You need to get into more serious battery banks and inverters to have AC power. Whereas even a small 2000w generator will run your microwave and AC plugs fine. Running Air Conditioning is a little more tricky, and frankly a longer discussion, but it can be done on a 2000W generator. Although you save some hassle with a 3000W size.
    The Costco Champion 3100W generator is an incredible value. $900 on the website, and I think a lot cheaper in store, although i haven't checked this year. Honda Generators are amazing and the quietest, but about double the price.

If you just want to charge the batteries, some cheapo used small generator will be fine. Just make sure it's an "Inverter" type, because those are both quieter, and producer cleaner power.

Keep in mind, for any "small" solar setup, you won't be able to run Microwave, Air Conditioning, or any of the AC plugs. You need to get into more serious battery banks and inverters to have AC power. Whereas even a small 2000w generator will run your microwave and AC plugs fine. Running Air Conditioning is a little more tricky, and frankly a longer discussion, but it can be done on a 2000W generator. Although you save some hassle with a 3000W size.
    The Costco Champion 3100W generator is an incredible value. $900 on the website, and I think a lot cheaper in store, although i haven't checked this year. Honda Generators are amazing and the quietest, but about double the price.

If you just want to charge the batteries, some cheapo used small generator will be fine. Just make sure it's an "Inverter" type, because those are both quieter, and producer cleaner power.
    I have a yamaha and love it. Remote start for the win.

There is always the option of going with a smaller 2000w and doubling it to link them if you need/want more power. Looking back i wish i would have went that route. The Yamaha is almost 200lbs full of fuel. Having 2 x 2000w would be much easier when you dont need the Air Con to run. The little honda/yamaha ones are one handers easily.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I went with the MicroAir EasyStart and I can run my Air Conditioning just fine on my Honda EU2200i.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    I agree with Extraslow. Money is better spent on a generator. That said, i have both. I run the generator only when i need 110v for something and the solar keeps things topped up otherwise. I wouldn't get a fixed panel though. Go with something portable. Half the time you are in the shade so you will have to move it to a spot where you will get sunlight. I also agree, 6v batteries are ideal but if you can afford them, lithium are in a whole different league.

For other essentials rhino hose, toss the garbage they give you. Unless you are 6 point hydraulic, get x-chocks. They are awesome at stabilizing the trailer shake.

Of course, a good hitch but im sure that is already covered.
    Thanks for the tip on the x-chocks and the rhino hose, ordered both of those.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    A generator is definitely a easier way to go and cheaper (600$ at Costco). I went 300W Of solar with two 6V Costco batteries and a 1000W inverter. Cost about 1200$ and I wired it all myself. This is for a truck camper and I did not want to deal with hauling a generator or having to be plugged in.

I’d definitely suggest upgrading your batteries to the Costco 6V golf cart batteries.. also, do you have a external solar connection? If you do, I would skip the flexible panel (not as efficient) and get a portable one and you can just hook it up and angle it when you need it.
    Good tip on the portable panels, there are some good deals on portable ones right now. Yah I'm 99% sure I remember seeing a "Solar Ready" plug on the side.

WRT a generator do I need one of those "quiet" ones? If I'm not mistaken you only need a generator when you're off-grid camping and therefore noise isn't as big of a concern and when you're at a camp site you'll have a power hookup anyways no?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    WRT a generator do I need one of those "quiet" ones? If I'm not mistaken you only need a generator when you're off-grid camping and therefore noise isn't as big of a concern and when you're at a camp site you'll have a power hookup anyways no?
    Barely any provincial camp sites have serviced power.

Edit: I just picked this one up on sale from Costco, I like dual fuel so that I don't have to carry gasoline, and my trailer has two bottles anyways. I bought a 3000w dual fuel one a few months ago, but it's too big (physical size) for my needs and am going to return it, if I can.

https://www.costco.ca/champion-2000-...100587614.html
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 05-29-2020 at 11:27 AM.

Page 79 of 150 FirstFirst ... 69 78 79 80 89 ... LastLast