Quantcast
RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs - Page 40 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 40 of 150 FirstFirst ... 30 39 40 41 50 ... LastLast

Thread: RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone have an RV dealer or sales person that knows thier shit and isn't just a salesbro? Had some interesting news recently...
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Anyone have an RV dealer or sales person that knows thier shit and isn't just a salesbro? Had some interesting news recently...
    Go checkout Outdoor Champs RV out in Acme. Talk to Amir Chaudhary who is the owner, let him know Ariane sent you. I bought my Heartland North Trail 24BHS from them after looking at all the dealerships here in Calgary and some in Edmonton. Worth the slight drive just north east of Calgary. Small town dealership but way better.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Have no doubt that place in Acme provides great service but the selection looks pretty tiny on the website. I've been dragging a trailer around for a few years now so I have a decent idea of what features I want and what size/weight is appropriate.

Not sure when my insurance company will get their act together so I can go shopping, but anyone have suggestions under an hours drive from town?

And yes I know there are lots of dealerships with websites. If nobody recommends anyone that's my plan, but always nice to hesr people's suggestions
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Have no doubt that place in Acme provides great service but the selection looks pretty tiny on the website. I've been dragging a trailer around for a few years now so I have a decent idea of what features I want and what size/weight is appropriate.

Not sure when my insurance company will get their act together so I can go shopping, but anyone have suggestions under an hours drive from town?

And yes I know there are lots of dealerships with websites. If nobody recommends anyone that's my plan, but always nice to hesr people's suggestions
    Not sure if you are looking for new or used but yeah Outdoor Champs doesn't have a lot of new and used in inventory at this point of the season. This is also the reason for better pricing off the bat. But I do recommend the North Trail brand based on looking at lots of others brand new trailers earlier this year. You will have to see it for yourself as it is easy to see the difference in quality over (Coachmen, Keystone, Gulf Stream, Forest River, MPG)...I looked at a lot all of similar features, layouts and weight.

Having just done this at the beginning of the season (and for the 2nd time) my recommendation is this:

- Find the floor plan you like, every manufacturer has the same floor plan but are always different in small ways.
    - Visit the local dealers and actually walk through and demo the units. Ignore the salesbro's
    - Take the model number and the colour and search online for available units, i went as far as manitoba
    - Cold call and look to make offers. Be ready to put down a deposit and make them aware of that.
    - Buy unit where you get the best deal. I drove to moose jaw to pick mine up for the best trade in value, best price on the unit, and an interest rate a whole 1.5% less. Saved me THOUSANDS of dollars of the RV. Plus is was valuable to camp the way back to calgary and learn the unit/work out the kinks.

My Ride
    LX 5.0

Gents, I am beginning the trailer and truck search. I’m looking for something around 23 feet, and a truck to pull said trailer. I’m hoping to have something ready to go for next summer. Truck will not be DD but needs to be solid and reliable. Budget for both truck and trailer together is 25-30K. I have been looking at 3/4 ton gas trucks from 04-11. Is the non HD chevrolet 2500 a decent truck?

Doable? Thoughts? Things to look for and avoid? Is kijiji the best way to search for trailers?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

With trailers be aware of age for the tires. There's a date code in the sidewall of the tires and around the five year mark you need to think about replacing them.

Always ask the owner what thier maintenance history for brakes, bearing, batteries and winterizing is. Of the answers sound unsure then be cautious.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

10-15k gets a pretty decent trailer. But 10k doesn't buy you a particularly decent truck. How many people are you putting in the trailer?

My Ride
    2005 F350

if i had a budget of 30k, i would spend 15-20k of that on a truck and 10k on a trailer.

if your truck breaks down while towing, you're in for a huge towing bill and a shitty weekend. if something on your trailer breaks, you can always finish the weekend at the campsite and deal with the issue when you get home.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    LX 5.0

Thanks for the advice guys.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the 3/4 ton GMC 6.0 litre trucks?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm a pretty die-hard ford guy, but the 6.0L GM engine is a great engine. I would prefer it over the 5.4L Ford engine, as much as it hurts me to say it. I greatly prefer the 6-speed transmissions from 2009(?) and newer. Actually, I just hate 4-speed transmissions for towing in general, no matter what manufacturer.
    Here's a couple that don't look bad.
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ado/1305364217
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...oof/1305058662

My Ride
    LX 5.0

Pm’d ExtraSlow.

What about the older ones? 2004/05/06

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

GM 6.0 are pretty solid. They dont make a ton of power, but they do seem to last a while. Id agree with Extraslow in having the newer transmissions though, having a few extra gears makes a big difference in a gas jobby, especially when grade shifting, climbing hills etc.

I'd say 10k is a good budget for a decent trailer, that should put you in something decently new that will be fairly light.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The place I store my trailer has these rental "RVs" from a company called Wicked Campers. Pretty neat looking with the wild paint jobs. Some have those rooftop tents that were being discussed. Built on Honda CRV, Chevrolet Safari and Chevrolet Uplander. Enjoy.
    Name:  20171024_115145.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  92.7 KB
    Name:  20171024_115002.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  63.8 KB
    Name:  20171024_115048.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  98.8 KB
    Name:  20171024_115100.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  73.0 KB
    Name:  20171024_115124.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  84.8 KB

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Is that supposed to be cum dripping off Animal's nose?

And I remember seeing lots of these driving around southern BC this past summer. I like how they have done them up but I would be concerned about how road worthy some of them are. One I passed appeared to be bouncing on blown shocks.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    Is that supposed to be cum dripping off Animal's nose?
    I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be flour... you know, from his cooking habit.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

If I’m parking my trailer outside all winter, anything I should do for the tires? Just got new ones in August so would like to extend their lives... any point on pulling them off and putting it on blocks (just a small tent trailer)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Air them up to max sidewall pressure. If the place you park is dirt or grass put them on some lumber or something. Cover them from direct sunlight too.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Just going to throw this in here... beware your factory trailer wiring!

Was relocating the trailer brake controller in my 4runner today, when I noticed that although the brake controller has nice beefy 12 gauge wires, my factory wiring beyond the connector, is only 14-gauge (for brake and power). I'm pretty sure this is not enough for a trailer with 4 brakes. So it looks like I'll be running some new wires through my car sometime before spring.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Just going to throw this in here... beware your factory trailer wiring!

Was relocating the trailer brake controller in my 4runner today, when I noticed that although the brake controller has nice beefy 12 gauge wires, my factory wiring beyond the connector, is only 14-gauge (for brake and power). I'm pretty sure this is not enough for a trailer with 4 brakes. So it looks like I'll be running some new wires through my car sometime before spring.
    Brake wiring is often somewhat undersized compared to amperage because in normal use it's only drawing load for shorter periods. I was told each brake draws 3 amp, so a four brake system is 12 amps, but usually for 5-10 seconds at a time, so heat is less of an issue.

Page 40 of 150 FirstFirst ... 30 39 40 41 50 ... LastLast